Log In 

Longs Peak

The National Park Service (NPS) also provides recent Longs Peak conditions information. Please visit the following page to view their information:
NPS Longs Peak Conditions
Peak Condition Updates  
11/12/2017
Route: Area
Posted On: 11/12/2017, By: WillRobnett
Info: bmcqueen has the route beta, just adding a photo from the distance. 
11/12/2017
Route: Trough from Glacier Gorge
Posted On: 11/12/2017, By: bmcqueen
Info: Trail from Glacier Gorge is a sheet of ice at the start. Eventually goes to hard packed snow all the way to Black Lake. Above that, we put on our snowshoes for a bit then switched to crampons once in the Trough. A bit soft, but there's a booter now to the top. Narrows and Homestrech have a bit of snow - stayed in crampons to the summit. 
1
11/5/2017
Route: Area
Posted On: 11/5/2017, By: WillRobnett
Info: Lots of wind, few inches of snow 
9/26/2017
Route: Keyhole Route
Posted On: 9/27/2017, By: Kjell W
Info: On Tuesday, we saw an attractive break in the forecast in what is otherwise proving to be the first real week of winter weather in the high country. We took advantage by targeting the Keyhole route on Long's Peak, knowing full-well that reaching the summit was a long shot.

Given recent condition reports and stormy weather, we expected very high winds, cold temperatures, and new ground snow, although the weather forecast from the National Park Service called for relatively mild weather and calm winds on Long's Peak today. The forecast proved correct. We enjoyed an absolutely beautiful, sunny, and warm day with light winds on the peak through about noon, though our expectations for ground snow were realized. The trail was pretty icy from the start, with increasing ground snow up to about a foot beyond the Keyhole.

Despite the snow and ice, the route was pretty easily passable up to the Keyhole, and we saw a few other climbers enjoying the bluebird day as much as we did. Nobody was making much progress behind the Keyhole, however. A few turned around at the Keyhole, citing high winds, though we found the winds to be fairly mild. One person reported that the bulls-eyes marking the route above 13,000 feet were buried in the snow, though we had no trouble finding them. We decided to turn around a few hundred feet beyond the Keyhole because the new, unconsolidated snow masked all objective hazards and gave virtually no purchase, making the route a bit sketchy. It was more than we personally cared to test, though we all agreed that with slow and careful movements, the route was likely passable at least to the Trough, which we also thought would be passable. Discretion being the better part of valor, as they say, we were happy enough with our decision to retreat and spend our remaining time on a detour to Chasm Lake, which was absolutely stunning through the fleeting clouds and fog.

Awesome day on the peak! I posted a few pics if you wish to check them out. 
9/21/2017
Route: Loft Route
Posted On: 9/21/2017, By: jchapell
Info: Wind wind wind. Otherwise still summer conditions, very little ice on the whole route up the loft down the keyhole. But the wind crossing the loft was unreal...and had we known how much there would have been we would have turned around. It was doable, but I think everyone else attempting the loft turned around. Bring a shell/buff/gloves/ski goggles for a little comfort if going up in the next couple days with this wind. 
9/20/2017
Route: Keyhole Route
Posted On: 9/21/2017, By: IHikeLikeAGirl
Info: Looked like a dusting of snow, but due to the insane winds, I had only heard of 2 people summiting that day. Forecast was for ~20-25 mph winds with gusts of 31-36, but that was NOT the case. Came across 30-35 others, most turned around at the Boulder Field, ~10 (that I saw) went to the keyhole just to poke their head out in the freight train winds. Talked with the 2 guys who summited (they started at 1:45a), they said snow was negligible, but the wind made it harrowing. Rangers said a significant amount of snow is forecast for Friday and on into next week. Looks like the season for Longs is quickly closing for most of us mere mortals.... 
2
9/18/2017
Route: Loft Route
Posted On: 9/20/2017, By: appleseeds
Info: Went up Iron Gates to Meeker. Light dusting of snow made downclimb onto the knife edge tricky, but the rest of route was completely dry from Meeker across Loft and around to Longs. Descended via Keyhole, narrows and ledges were clear but there was some snow in the trough. I had microspikes but didn't need them, just step carefully. 
1
9/17/2017
Route: Keyhole Route
Posted On: 9/17/2017, By: davidrmillar
Info: About a half inch of new snow fell yesterday, making for passable but slippery conditions. It was very cold and windy this morning. Probably will be very icy once all the snow is compacted with footprints. We summited today but had to negotiate sketchy conditions going down the trough. 
9/11/2017
Route: Keyhole Route
Posted On: 9/11/2017, By: ajstack
Info: Hiked yesterday 9/10. Perfect conditions. Completely dry. 
9/2/2017
Route: Keyhole Route
Posted On: 9/2/2017, By: Rhyyoh
Info: No ice or snow on the route. Tiny bit of water in some areas after Keyhole but easily avoidable. Parking lot was full at 3:20am when I arrived. Keyhole wasn't too windy and the summit was pretty calm, too. Hazy views, but all in all great conditions today. 
8/27/2017
Route: Keyhole Route
Posted On: 8/28/2017, By: Kaydubs17
Info: The conditions are absolutely perfect right now. We got to the trailhead at 1:15am with plenty of spots still open, were up to the warming hut around 5am and watched the first light of the day from there. Nothing to avoid on the trail, but it did start snowing when we were on the summit around 8:30am. Not too packed either direction so rarely waited for anyone or held anyone else up. 
8/27/2017
Route: Kieners/Lams Slide
Posted On: 8/28/2017, By: jmanner
Info: Lambs Slide is still in good cramponing condition, the névé covers the entire couloir at this point. Broadway is dry, as is the rest of Kieners.

Notch Couloir: Lower section is perfect climbing snow(based on partners boot test), but only "goes" about half way up the couloir. 
8/27/2017
Route: Keyhole Route
Posted On: 8/27/2017, By: camocreation
Info: Today was a perfect day for a trail run on Long's. Parking lot completely full and many cars parked down the road by 5am when I started. Probably the busiest I've ever seen up there, but to be expected for a beautiful weekend in August. No snow encountered along the Trough or anywhere for that matter. A few minor wet spots past the Keyhole but again nothing that couldn't be avoided. It is the PERFECT time to get up there! 
8/24/2017
Route: Keyhole Route
Posted On: 8/25/2017, By: DMcFarland
Info: Entire trail is dry. No snow or ice seen throughout. Trough and Homestretch are clear. Minimal and easily avoidable spots of water-covered rock on the Ledges and Narrows. Also, there is abundant water right before the Boulder Field for filtering and refilling your bladder. Outstanding summer conditions! 
8/20/2017
Route: Keyhole Route
Posted On: 8/21/2017, By: kayleenann8
Info: The conditions on Longs are perfect right now -- almost 100% dry and no snow or ice. Lots of people -- in retrospect, I would wear a helmet for the Trough -- there are too many people in the gully at the same time, so rock fall could be an issue.