Barkley Marathons, the secretive, punishing ultramarathon, concluded Feb. 15 with no finishers.
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/loc ... 716759007/
Barkley Marathon 2026
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
Monte Meals
- Posts: 576
- Joined: 5/16/2011
- Trip Reports (0)
Barkley Marathon 2026
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Bale
- Posts: 317
- Joined: 6/9/2020
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
-
seannunn
- Posts: 439
- Joined: 3/6/2024
- 14ers: 54
- 13ers: 3
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
I love the Barkleys in the same way that I love Sunlight Spire.
I will never conquer either, but I admire a bar that is so high that just a handful of people can get over it, and the stars still have to align for them to do so.
Nolan's 14 is in the same category (although with the rise of more beta on the routes, it is becoming easier, although still incredibly impressive).
Also summitting all the 13ers, although that's more of a lifetime achievement award.
Sean Nunn
Peculiar, MO
I will never conquer either, but I admire a bar that is so high that just a handful of people can get over it, and the stars still have to align for them to do so.
Nolan's 14 is in the same category (although with the rise of more beta on the routes, it is becoming easier, although still incredibly impressive).
Also summitting all the 13ers, although that's more of a lifetime achievement award.
Sean Nunn
Peculiar, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
--Psalm 36:6
--Psalm 36:6
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
The Barkleys are an entirely different league than these other accomplishments (which are still admirable of course). Anyone with some cams can climb Sunlight Spire, and if you mean free climbing, it's still within reach of many, many climbers. The only reason it doesn't get climbed every weekend is because no one wants to haul a trad rack up to Chicago Basin for 1 short pitch. Lots of people have done Nolans. The Barkleys are arguably not within reach of anyone depending on the year, even the pros...seannunn wrote: ↑Wed Feb 18, 2026 11:03 am I love the Barkleys in the same way that I love Sunlight Spire.
Nolan's 14 is in the same category (although with the rise of more beta on the routes, it is becoming easier, although still incredibly impressive).
Also summitting all the 13ers, although that's more of a lifetime achievement award.
This is closer to the crack-climbing equivalent of the Barkley Marathons, not Sunlight Spire:
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/1 ... -inversion
-
justiner
- Posts: 4943
- Joined: 8/28/2010
- 14ers: 3 1
- Trip Reports (40)
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
LOL I think the hardest part of Bakley is trying to convince me to vacation in Tennessee.
Long May You Range! Purveyors of fine bespoke adventures
-
Monte Meals
- Posts: 576
- Joined: 5/16/2011
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
^"LOL I think the hardest part of Bakley is trying to convince me to vacation in Tennessee."
Sir, I applaud you
Linking "Barkley" and "Vacation" in the same sentence is AWESOME!
As an aside - I used to live there. East Tennessee really has some great mountains
and yes, I used to hike (and kayak) around Frozen Head State park.
But I do have to add that driving past the Fed SUPERMAX prison on the access road
really does set the "tone" of the region.
Sir, I applaud you
Linking "Barkley" and "Vacation" in the same sentence is AWESOME!
As an aside - I used to live there. East Tennessee really has some great mountains
and yes, I used to hike (and kayak) around Frozen Head State park.
But I do have to add that driving past the Fed SUPERMAX prison on the access road
really does set the "tone" of the region.
-
Istoodupthere
- Posts: 236
- Joined: 5/5/2022
- 14ers: 58 2
- 13ers: 72 7
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
What’s wrong with Tennessee? East Tennessee is one of the nicest places east of the Rockies. Beautiful hiking in Smoky Mountain National Park. Great fly fishing on the South Holston. Great weather. Nice people that aren’t ecstatic about people relocating there. You know, kind of like Colorado, except friendlier
-
Jesse M
- Posts: 560
- Joined: 7/18/2011
- 13ers: 15
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
Barkley ain't never met Pikes Peak...

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
-
Gulf_Coast_Hiker
- Posts: 233
- Joined: 5/29/2020
- 14ers: 25
- 13ers: 6
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
A couple thousand people finish the PPA and PPM each year and probably thousands more hike it as well.
Only 20 runners (26 total finishes) have completed the full Barkley (5 laps) since 1986. Many world class athletes have tried the Barkley and did not even make it to the fun run (3 laps).
As for TN, it's a great place to run/race and hike.
-
justiner
- Posts: 4943
- Joined: 8/28/2010
- 14ers: 3 1
- Trip Reports (40)
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
I actually think I could "compete" in Barkley. I've worked with a few of the finishers and chatted about it. Although they are inspiring people, the event does not inspire me in the least. I've also talked to people who have consistently not been given a slot in the invitation and that's kinda funny, too.
Long May You Range! Purveyors of fine bespoke adventures
-
jomagam
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 1/13/2011
- 14ers: 16
- 13ers: 9
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
Barkleys is in the Not everything that is difficult is worth pursuing category for me
-
Rick Canter
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 7/8/2012
- 14ers: 31
- 13ers: 6
- Trip Reports (13)
Re: Barkley Marathon 2026
Elevation gain does not equate to difficulty. A better metric would be Those Who Succeed / Those Who Attempt. The Appalachians can be very tough, technical, include a mile of gain, and ungodly muggy in summer.Barkley ain't never met Pikes Peak
