Friends here, I've recovered from a severe car crash which weakened my right arm and my lower back. Stoned driver! So I'm creaky. I'm wondering if I can reach my goal of doing Kelso Ridge.
I was concerned at first that I wouldn't be able to pull myself up on a vertical because of the rebuilt arm.
Now I'm just wondering if there will be too much of a toll on my back---I'm remembering a couple years ago when I descended Sneffels.
I'm a 23.1 BMI, 6'2" male in good health but with those conditions I mentioned. I still want to be athletic and hoping to rebuild to tennis this summer. And Torey's in August perhaps.
Any way to judge if I can handle it?
Torey's Peak/Kelso Ridge Fitness Requirements
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
Siwash1
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 1/17/2026
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Torey's Peak/Kelso Ridge Fitness Requirements
Being 3rd class terrain, Kelso ridge doesn't really have any place where great arm strength makes a whole lot of difference. Core strength and footwork will be much more important. Keep your pack light, wear lightweight trail running shoes, and build your aerobic/cardiovascular fitness. If you can get to tennis playing levels of core and arm strength, then cardiovascular fitness and endurance will be the determining factor.
mark
-
Maggie Mack
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 7/15/2015
- 14ers: 33 4
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Torey's Peak/Kelso Ridge Fitness Requirements
Kelso Ridge was my first 3rd class and my second ever 14er; Bierstadt being my first. I had zero idea what I was doing, was in no way athletic and had moved to Colorado six months prior from sea level.
I was absolutely every stereotype of a newbie. So when I saw you'll be fine, I mean it. There are zero spots along the ridge where you have to pull yourself up in a way that is doing a literal pull up... The only advice I was given from my climbing partner that day was to tighten my shoes before we got started crossing. lol You can walk the Ridgeline or you can scoot across, which many folks do because the exposure can be nerve-racking.
Take your time, don't rush. Make sure you always have three points of contact. Enjoy the scenery. You'll be just fine.
Take your time, don't rush. Make sure you always have three points of contact. Enjoy the scenery. You'll be just fine.
-
greenonion
- Posts: 2184
- Joined: 10/3/2012
- 14ers: 52 1
- 13ers: 2
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Torey's Peak/Kelso Ridge Fitness Requirements
I agree with Mark. However, you do want to have enough arm strength to help you over the short knife-like edge, but it doesn't need to be over the top. All the best in your recovery and objectives. Very sorry about the accident.markf wrote: ↑Sat Jan 17, 2026 8:50 am Being 3rd class terrain, Kelso ridge doesn't really have any place where great arm strength makes a whole lot of difference. Core strength and footwork will be much more important. Keep your pack light, wear lightweight trail running shoes, and build your aerobic/cardiovascular fitness. If you can get to tennis playing levels of core and arm strength, then cardiovascular fitness and endurance will be the determining factor.
-
Alpine_Iris
- Posts: 30
- Joined: 7/3/2022
- 14ers: 25 6
- 13ers: 82 1
- Trip Reports (2)
Re: Torey's Peak/Kelso Ridge Fitness Requirements
You could try out a less committing scramble to get a feel for what class 3 is like for you now. There's plenty of stuff with a short approach and a bit of scrambling near Denver in the foothills: mt. morrison, cathedral spires, ridge direct on mt. glennon, random boulders, etc. I've never done kelso so idk what is most similar though.
https://listsofjohn.com/m/Iris
(She/Her)
walk fearlessly, well loved one.
Return with us, return to us,
be always coming home.
(She/Her)
walk fearlessly, well loved one.
Return with us, return to us,
be always coming home.
-
Siwash1
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 1/17/2026
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Torey's Peak/Kelso Ridge Fitness Requirements
Thanks. . . these comments are VERY encouraging. I"ve climbed Bierstadt and Sneffels.
I didn't know if there was an aspect of the Kelso route that required good arm strength: my right are being very repaired. Right now I'm going to focus on my back (broke three lower vertebrae) and see how I do with longer regular hikes here in the plains of Illinois.
I didn't know if there was an aspect of the Kelso route that required good arm strength: my right are being very repaired. Right now I'm going to focus on my back (broke three lower vertebrae) and see how I do with longer regular hikes here in the plains of Illinois.
-
ECF55
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 8/26/2017
- 14ers: 19
- 13ers: 4
- Trip Reports (9)
Re: Torey's Peak/Kelso Ridge Fitness Requirements
Kelso was my first Class 3 trail. It was a blast! But it was a big day on steep terrain, so I would focus more on conditioning and core strength. Also, for comparison, I think it's easier and less messy than Sneffels SW Ridge, and it's 1000% easier on descent compared to Sneffels South Slopes if you take the Torreys standard down.
I seem to remember four real instances where I was using three points of contact on the ascent. The first comes quickly and is a short scramble at 12,700 ft. If that one is too challenging, best to turn around and do the standard. The second was the White Wall, which was a real joy of a surface. I think I took a slightly more stressing line up, but I really only used my arms for steading. The third was the steep and ledged terrain right below the knife edge. That part was quite exposed right next to dead dog couloir, but nothing too technical. You just don't want to slip there. I thought the crux move for the whole day was navigating around the White Rock Obstacle just beyond the knife edge. It was an awkward move and having my arms steading me was critical.
On the plus side, you can cruiser down the mountain on the Torreys Class 1 trail when you are most tired.
I seem to remember four real instances where I was using three points of contact on the ascent. The first comes quickly and is a short scramble at 12,700 ft. If that one is too challenging, best to turn around and do the standard. The second was the White Wall, which was a real joy of a surface. I think I took a slightly more stressing line up, but I really only used my arms for steading. The third was the steep and ledged terrain right below the knife edge. That part was quite exposed right next to dead dog couloir, but nothing too technical. You just don't want to slip there. I thought the crux move for the whole day was navigating around the White Rock Obstacle just beyond the knife edge. It was an awkward move and having my arms steading me was critical.
On the plus side, you can cruiser down the mountain on the Torreys Class 1 trail when you are most tired.
