Caltopo Peak Names

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
wineguy
Posts: 375
Joined: 7/12/2009
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 195 2
Trip Reports (9)
 

Caltopo Peak Names

Post by wineguy »

I was tagging some bicents in the San Juans this past week, and noticed that Caltopo has some peak names I hadn't noticed before. UN13801 is labeled Handies - ESE Peak, UN13838 is labeled Redcloud Peak - Northeast Peak, and UN13820 is labeled Redcloud Peak - Far Northeast Peak. This site, LOJ, and the Cooneys still have these peaks labeled as UN138xx. Are these new names unique to Caltopo, or has someone else given these peaks names?
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
User avatar
justiner
Posts: 4943
Joined: 8/28/2010
14ers: 3  1 
Trip Reports (40)
 

Re: Caltopo Peak Names

Post by justiner »

According to Caltopo, they get peak names from Peakbagger, is that tracking with you?

Long May You Range! Purveyors of fine bespoke adventures
User avatar
Eli Boardman
Posts: 783
Joined: 6/23/2016
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)
 

Re: Caltopo Peak Names

Post by Eli Boardman »

Caltopo gets them from Peakbagger, and Peakbagger gets them from "I made it up."

Annoyingly, Peakbagger recently added a bunch of automatically "discovered" peaks from lidar, many of which have well established names in guidebooks, but now these show up on Peakbagger (and hence Caltopo) with boring elevation names.

Recent example I encountered:
Correct unofficial name from guidebooks in LoJ: https://listsofjohn.com/peak/6942
Auto-magically generated elevation "name" in Peakbagger: https://peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=30032
Peakbagger elevation "name" showing up in Caltopo: https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.4080 ... z=15&b=mbt
GUTstring
Posts: 26
Joined: 2/6/2014
14ers: 12 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Caltopo Peak Names

Post by GUTstring »

Eli Boardman wrote: ↑Wed Aug 27, 2025 10:57 pm Annoyingly, Peakbagger recently added a bunch of automatically "discovered" peaks from lidar, many of which have well established names in guidebooks, but now these show up on Peakbagger (and hence Caltopo) with boring elevation names.
The site administrator is pretty good about correcting errors if you email him. I'd encourage you to do so if you know of more peaks like this to help make their database cleaner!
User avatar
gb
Posts: 1037
Joined: 12/12/2006
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 68 54
Trip Reports (24)
 

Re: Caltopo Peak Names

Post by gb »

Hmmn, never noticed before but you're right. Looking around my local area there is a little hump I've never seen named with a name on Caltopo, "WCU peak" has been on TI maps for 20+ years but it isn't called anything, and Mt Raoul (sometimes called Castleabra) is called Castle Peak- West Peak.

I wouldn't say it matters at all except for the fact that SAR teams rely on Caltopo, and that's not a place for any confusion.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 9893
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 57 14
Trip Reports (16)
 

Re: Caltopo Peak Names

Post by Scott P »

For better or worse, 14ers.com members may have had a play in this (or so it seems).

Several years ago there was a thread on 14ers.com (I tried to find it, but was unsuccessful) where people expressed there disapproval with Google Maps and Caltopo using listsofjohn names for un-named peaks on their maps. A bunch of 14ers.com members wrote to them and complained. I did notice that after that happened, peakbagger names started showing up instead. I can't say for sure that that was the reason, but I have always thought that it played a part.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
seano
Posts: 891
Joined: 6/9/2010
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Caltopo Peak Names

Post by seano »

Scott P wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:05 am Several years ago there was a thread on 14ers.com (I tried to find it, but was unsuccessful) where people expressed there disapproval with Google Maps and Caltopo using listsofjohn names for un-named peaks on their maps. A bunch of 14ers.com members wrote to them and complained. I did notice that after that happened, peakbagger names started showing up instead.
I'm surprised CalTopo was using LoJ at all. It's a worldwide mapping app, and LoJ is US-only, while Peakbagger is global. I would personally prefer that CalTopo only show official names, via the BGN in the US, and its equivalent elsewhere, but I normally use the USGS topo layer in the US, so it doesn't affect me much.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 9893
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 57 14
Trip Reports (16)
 

Re: Caltopo Peak Names

Post by Scott P »

seano wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:21 am I'm surprised CalTopo was using LoJ at all. It's a worldwide mapping app
This is only recently though. Caltopo used to be just for the US. I'm not sure if they just pulled the names off Google Maps though (which originally got them from LoJ) rather than LoJ directly.

Of note, I just checked Google maps and all the unofficial names I checked on now gone. I'm not sure when that happened.

Also of note, Peakbagger got a lot of the unofficial names off Summitpost.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm responsible for at least one of the conflicting names on various sources (including Caltopo, Peakbagger, and LoJ).

In 1996, I wrote a guidebook to the Uinta Mountains in Utah. At the time and in Utah it was customary for guidebooks to use nearby features to name peaks in the guidebooks. That's what all the guidebooks did at the time such as Wasatch Trails 1 and 2, Hiking the Wasatch, Utah Mountaineering Guide. etc. and I followed suit with the book I wrote. For example, the mountain north of Long Mountain became "North Long Mountain" and a peak near Whiskey Island Lake became "Whiskey Island Peak". There was one peak I couldn't come up with a name for so I just tagged my wife's name on it for the guidebook ("Kimberly Peak"). A few years later the name started showing up on the Division of Wildlife Resources map (they sold my books) and some Forest Service maps. I didn't want anyone to know that I named the peak for my wife (you aren't supposed to name things after living people) so when I created the Summitpost page I put the name of Cone Peak on it.

Anyway that's why various sources vary on that name. Caltopo uses Cone Peak which migrated over from Peakbagger which migrated over from Summitpost:

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=40.6848 ... z=17&b=mbt

Listsofjohn uses Kimberly Peak since it uses published guidebook names (LoJ doesn't use Summitpost names are any unofficial names that aren't in a guidebook or officially published map):

https://listsofjohn.com/peak/18137

The map in the Guidebook:
20250828_104844.jpg
The above shows that in the digital age it isn't hard to create conflicting names for places.

While all of the above sources are unofficial, even the USGS gets them mixed up on a fairly regular basis. There are many examples where this has happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.