Saw this in an email thread and am just starting to read it. I thought some here might be interested.
https://essopenarchive.org/users/955971 ... /lidar.pdf
LiDAR Paper by John Kirk and Andrew Kirmse
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
bdloftin77
- Posts: 1442
- Joined: 9/23/2013
- 14ers: 58 1
- 13ers: 99
- Trip Reports (2)
-
peter303
- Posts: 3583
- Joined: 6/17/2009
- 14ers: 34
- 13ers: 12
- Trip Reports (3)
Re: LiDAR Paper by John Kirk and Andrew Kirmse
So there are 2337 peaks above 10K in Colorado. That should keep the list-baggers busy. I wonder how many of these peaks have names?
-
Boggy B
- Posts: 968
- Joined: 10/14/2009
- 14ers: 58 7
- 13ers: 784 76
- Trip Reports (57)
Re: LiDAR Paper by John Kirk and Andrew Kirmse
Interesting. I once thought it might be fun to try and write an algorithm to automatically calculate prominences from LPCs, but if we're filtering out man-made features like cairns then doing this without manual intervention seems impossible, regardless of accuracy in the measurements and classification of returns. Even AI wouldn't be of much use for identifying stacked rocks since the control for that has to be sourced from recent beta organically. I suppose if we could map the highpoints within cm's of (horizontal + vertical) precision then you might train a model to successfully distinguish a cairn from a natural feature in many cases.
Thanks for the post!
Thanks for the post!
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: LiDAR Paper by John Kirk and Andrew Kirmse
I believe Peakbagger does that, but often their elevations come out a little lower than the LoJ manually calculated LiDAR elevations. When there is a discrepancy, PB is always lower, so the must be filtering out man made objects somehow. Perhaps whatever auto calls they are doing are over-filtering at times? I'm not sure.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
-
Boggy B
- Posts: 968
- Joined: 10/14/2009
- 14ers: 58 7
- 13ers: 784 76
- Trip Reports (57)
Re: LiDAR Paper by John Kirk and Andrew Kirmse
I mean, a rock is a rock. A person or AI might distinguish between a stack of rocks and a natural rock in a photo. Neither can tell the difference from a very imprecise 3D model of the same (excepting the ridiculous windbreaks on some summits, because they're big enough). I thought I read somewhere that PeakBagger uses DEMs, so that would explain general inaccuracy and loss of resolution.
-
Mtnman200
- Posts: 1235
- Joined: 9/26/2012
- 14ers: 58 1
- 13ers: 472
- Trip Reports (85)
Re: LiDAR Paper by John Kirk and Andrew Kirmse
If you don't do a headstand, the summit doesn't count.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
-
Boggy B
- Posts: 968
- Joined: 10/14/2009
- 14ers: 58 7
- 13ers: 784 76
- Trip Reports (57)
Re: LiDAR Paper by John Kirk and Andrew Kirmse
Isn't that capturing the moment he bungled the jump and faceplanted into the summit? 
