I’m heading to Idaho for the first time. Attempting Borah Peak. Flying from Denver to the Airport in Idaho Falls Friday afternoon. Will attempt the state HP and will have 12 hours in and near Idaho Falls after the hike before flying out east for work.
Any restaurant recommendations in the area?
Tips for Borah Peak?
Sites to see in the area the afternoon after the hike before I fly out at 5 AM the next day?
Restaurants with outdoor seating by the Snake River a plus.
This will be state HP #34
Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
sad2
- Posts: 288
- Joined: 5/29/2006
- 14ers: 46
- 13ers: 10
- Trip Reports (0)
-
Istoodupthere
- Posts: 236
- Joined: 5/5/2022
- 14ers: 58 2
- 13ers: 72 7
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
I’d bring spikes and poles in case there is still a snow bridge after chicken out ridge. It’s a skinny ridge and no fall zone. The only other issue I had was finding the exact down climb route from chicken out ridge to the snow bridge. That may have just been poor route funding on my part though.
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
When we did it we brought crampons and ice axes. Here is my Strava from the climb. It has some good pictures of chicken out ridge. It lives up to its name, 70% of the people that day did not go past that point. Have a great climb, it is a fun mountain. The River walk it Idaho Falls is a nice place to walk around and kill time.
https://www.strava.com/activities/7404988262
https://www.strava.com/activities/7404988262
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er: 103 months.
-
Istoodupthere
- Posts: 236
- Joined: 5/5/2022
- 14ers: 58 2
- 13ers: 72 7
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
Great pic of the down climb to the snow bridgeclimbingcue wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 6:09 am When we did it we brought crampons and ice axes. Here is my Strava from the climb. It has some good pictures of chicken out ridge. It lives up to its name, 70% of the people that day did not go past that point. Have a great climb, it is a fun mountain. The River walk it Idaho Falls is a nice place to walk around and kill time.
https://www.strava.com/activities/7404988262
-
Tim A
- Posts: 270
- Joined: 1/4/2012
- 14ers: 31 3
- 13ers: 69 1
- Trip Reports (20)
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
I climbed Borah July 2nd. I carried axe and spikes and used them on the snow bridge but would be surprised if they were still needed now a month later given how little snow was left even then. There was a fixed rope on the downclimb to the bridge from chicken/out but it didn’t feel necessary. None of the scrambling was harder or scarier than routes like Kelso Ridge or Wetterhorn’s standard. I actually found it kind of underwhelming after all the hype.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
sad2
- Posts: 288
- Joined: 5/29/2006
- 14ers: 46
- 13ers: 10
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
Tim A wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:17 pm IMG_7365.jpegI climbed Borah July 2nd. I carried axe and spikes and used them on the snow bridge but would be surprised if they were still needed now a month later given how little snow was left even then. There was a fixed rope on the downclimb to the bridge from chicken/out but it didn’t feel necessary. None of the scrambling was harder or scarier than routes like Kelso Ridge or Wetterhorn’s standard. I actually found it kind of underwhelming after all the hype.
Deleted. Duplicate post.
Last edited by sad2 on Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
sad2
- Posts: 288
- Joined: 5/29/2006
- 14ers: 46
- 13ers: 10
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
sad2 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:50 pmTim A wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:17 pm IMG_7365.jpegI climbed Borah July 2nd. I carried axe and spikes and used them on the snow bridge but would be surprised if they were still needed now a month later given how little snow was left even then. There was a fixed rope on the downclimb to the bridge from chicken/out but it didn’t feel necessary. None of the scrambling was harder or scarier than routes like Kelso Ridge or Wetterhorn’s standard. I actually found it kind of underwhelming after all the hype.
Thanks so much. I’ve done Wetterhorn, Crestone Peak and Needle, Longs up Keyhole and Loft, Kelso Ridge, and Halo Ridge up Holy Cross, so your comments make me feel better for the climb Saturday. I have a feeling the truly hard state HPs for me will be Alaska, MT, WY, WA, and Mt. Hood.
I’m hoping Maine and Idaho and Nevada will be manageable. Nevada in two weeks.
Tim A wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:17 pm IMG_7365.jpegI climbed Borah July 2nd. I carried axe and spikes and used them on the snow bridge but would be surprised if they were still needed now a month later given how little snow was left even then. There was a fixed rope on the downclimb to the bridge from chicken/out but it didn’t feel necessary. None of the scrambling was harder or scarier than routes like Kelso Ridge or Wetterhorn’s standard. I actually found it kind of underwhelming after all the hype.
Thanks so much. I’ve done Wetterhorn, Crestone Peak and Needle, Longs up Keyhole and Loft, Kelso Ridge, and Halo Ridge up Holy Cross, so your comments make me feel better for the climb Saturday. I have a feeling the truly hard state HPs for me will be Alaska, MT, WY, WA, and OR.
I’ll go guided for at least three of them, if not all five.
I’m hoping Maine and Idaho and Nevada will be manageable. Nevada in two weeks.
-
sad2
- Posts: 288
- Joined: 5/29/2006
- 14ers: 46
- 13ers: 10
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
Thank you all for the replies.
-
Istoodupthere
- Posts: 236
- Joined: 5/5/2022
- 14ers: 58 2
- 13ers: 72 7
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
Another great pic. I did it solo 7 years ago and for some reason I went around the other side of that big rock on the way down which was very sketchy. Going up was more obvious. Yep there’s no reason to be a rope there. Don’t use it, as I learned on Granite Peak.Tim A wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:17 pm IMG_7365.jpegI climbed Borah July 2nd. I carried axe and spikes and used them on the snow bridge but would be surprised if they were still needed now a month later given how little snow was left even then. There was a fixed rope on the downclimb to the bridge from chicken/out but it didn’t feel necessary. None of the scrambling was harder or scarier than routes like Kelso Ridge or Wetterhorn’s standard. I actually found it kind of underwhelming after all the hype.
-
Istoodupthere
- Posts: 236
- Joined: 5/5/2022
- 14ers: 58 2
- 13ers: 72 7
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
Katahdin knife edge is one of my favorite all-time routes. NV shouldn’t be an issue, though I did it as a snow climb in May. Class 3 route on Granite is almost Hourglass like. Hood was one of the most memorable experiences of my lifesad2 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:51 pmsad2 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:50 pmTim A wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:17 pm IMG_7365.jpegI climbed Borah July 2nd. I carried axe and spikes and used them on the snow bridge but would be surprised if they were still needed now a month later given how little snow was left even then. There was a fixed rope on the downclimb to the bridge from chicken/out but it didn’t feel necessary. None of the scrambling was harder or scarier than routes like Kelso Ridge or Wetterhorn’s standard. I actually found it kind of underwhelming after all the hype.
Thanks so much. I’ve done Wetterhorn, Crestone Peak and Needle, Longs up Keyhole and Loft, Kelso Ridge, and Halo Ridge up Holy Cross, so your comments make me feel better for the climb Saturday. I have a feeling the truly hard state HPs for me will be Alaska, MT, WY, WA, and Mt. Hood.
I’m hoping Maine and Idaho and Nevada will be manageable. Nevada in two weeks.Tim A wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:17 pm IMG_7365.jpegI climbed Borah July 2nd. I carried axe and spikes and used them on the snow bridge but would be surprised if they were still needed now a month later given how little snow was left even then. There was a fixed rope on the downclimb to the bridge from chicken/out but it didn’t feel necessary. None of the scrambling was harder or scarier than routes like Kelso Ridge or Wetterhorn’s standard. I actually found it kind of underwhelming after all the hype.
Thanks so much. I’ve done Wetterhorn, Crestone Peak and Needle, Longs up Keyhole and Loft, Kelso Ridge, and Halo Ridge up Holy Cross, so your comments make me feel better for the climb Saturday. I have a feeling the truly hard state HPs for me will be Alaska, MT, WY, WA, and OR.
I’ll go guided for at least three of them, if not all five.
I’m hoping Maine and Idaho and Nevada will be manageable. Nevada in two weeks.
-
Ptglhs
- Posts: 1582
- Joined: 1/6/2016
- 14ers: 58 8
- 13ers: 86 2
- Trip Reports (4)
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
I dropped climbers left before chicken out ridge, went down some semi loose stuff and back up a gully to regain the trail. Definitely mitigated any fall risk.
-
Ptglhs
- Posts: 1582
- Joined: 1/6/2016
- 14ers: 58 8
- 13ers: 86 2
- Trip Reports (4)
Re: Borah Peak and Idaho Falls
I'm at 49/50. I did WY and MT unguided but no judgement if you'd rather have a guide. WY is a lot of effort but I thought the climbing was class 2+.sad2 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 31, 2025 7:51 pm Thanks so much. I’ve done Wetterhorn, Crestone Peak and Needle, Longs up Keyhole and Loft, Kelso Ridge, and Halo Ridge up Holy Cross, so your comments make me feel better for the climb Saturday. I have a feeling the truly hard state HPs for me will be Alaska, MT, WY, WA, and Mt. Hood.
I’m hoping Maine and Idaho and Nevada will be manageable. Nevada in two weeks.
Maine is beautiful, NV and ID aren't. They're slogs you just have to get through. ID is freaking steep. 5k of gain in 3.5 miles. Hot and dry and not terribly scenic.
WA and AK I used IMG. OR I used timberline because they're the only ones able to use a snowcst to get to the top of the lifts which saves a lot of time.
