The effects of Altitude on Human Gastrointestinal Systems
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
Voshkm
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 7/28/2015
- 14ers: 20 4
- Trip Reports (0)
The effects of Altitude on Human Gastrointestinal Systems
Apologies if there is a string for this already, I searched and none of my words hit the right topic. I have been observing an increased level of pressure inside my abdominal cavity apparently relative to altitude while hiking. This ranges anywhere between annoying discomfort to severe pain in the breast bone region and below. Is this in my head or has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I believe there is some evidence to support the theory in as much as if a bag of chips (not my choice of nutrition) is taken from Denver to 14000 it appears to inflate significantly and occasionally will burst. The feeling that my interior will burst like a bag of chips is decreasing my enjoyment of the overall experience. Emergency shunt relief seems impractical. Does anyone have a practical but civilized solution sensitive to the personal nature of the problem?
-
denvermikey
- Posts: 555
- Joined: 8/9/2007
- 14ers: 52
- 13ers: 224
- Trip Reports (12)
Re: The effects of Altitude on Human Gastrointestinal System
While I have not experienced the level of discomfort you have, I do seem to have regular visits from a herd of barking spiders. I think my son gets tired of saying, "Really dad?"
Thinking it is a combination of what I eat pre-hike and the altitude causing pressure.

Thinking it is a combination of what I eat pre-hike and the altitude causing pressure.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
-
gurlyclimber
- Posts: 835
- Joined: 6/22/2005
- 14ers: 34
- 13ers: 109
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: The effects of Altitude on Human Gastrointestinal System
I too have alpinshitz and alpinfartz.
I just take an antacid, which seems to help. Some of my partners should do the same.
I just take an antacid, which seems to help. Some of my partners should do the same.
-
jrs1965
- Posts: 765
- Joined: 1/3/2010
- 14ers: 58 1 3
- 13ers: 10
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: The effects of Altitude on Human Gastrointestinal System
While I was in the Army I was on an unofficial flight status and had a requirement to do an annual hyperbaric/altitude chamber certification. It's been a long time, but I want to say while wearing an oxygen mask they would take the chamber up to something like 28k. Two things the USAF techs running the chamber would always say regarding gas was to try and avoid foods that cause the problem, and to not hold it in when it happens...
-
mtree
- Posts: 1718
- Joined: 6/16/2010
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: The effects of Altitude on Human Gastrointestinal System
While I have not had any of these symptoms, I can say I've been with hiking partners who - in my opinion - cheat up the mountain by using an alternate propellant source to drive them forward. My advice, eat light and nice before you hike. And don't go nutz at dinner the night before. That includes imbibing enough craft beer to kill a horse.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
-
aweskamp
- Posts: 139
- Joined: 6/21/2013
- 14ers: 31
- 13ers: 1
- Trip Reports (6)
Re: The effects of Altitude on Human Gastrointestinal System
GI disturbances at high altitude have been well documented and are generally benign. A change in diet or slower ascent usually resolves HAFE. If the discomfort/nausea is severe enough, just descend because it could be a component of AMS.
Something that greatly concerns me is that you said you have severe pain behind the breast bone. Unless you have a history of gastroesophageal reflux (heartburn), very few things involving the GI tract would cause pain below the sternum; this is the heart/lungs/great vessels territory. You might consider seeing for doctor for this one. Within chest pain, it's always wise to err on the side of caution.
Hope this helps.
EDIT: for anyone wondering if HAFE is actually an actual, scientifically described phenomenon - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 2-0087.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Something that greatly concerns me is that you said you have severe pain behind the breast bone. Unless you have a history of gastroesophageal reflux (heartburn), very few things involving the GI tract would cause pain below the sternum; this is the heart/lungs/great vessels territory. You might consider seeing for doctor for this one. Within chest pain, it's always wise to err on the side of caution.
Hope this helps.
EDIT: for anyone wondering if HAFE is actually an actual, scientifically described phenomenon - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 2-0087.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
susanjoypaul
- Posts: 2148
- Joined: 9/8/2006
- 14ers: 58 2
- 13ers: 95 6
- Trip Reports (2)
Re: The effects of Altitude on Human Gastrointestinal System
Google "Boyle's Law" and "Aerospace Physiology." This topic has been discussed here over the years but those threads may have been purged.
If any of the pilots out there see this post they may have some answers for you.
If any of the pilots out there see this post they may have some answers for you.
-
Voshkm
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 7/28/2015
- 14ers: 20 4
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: The effects of Altitude on Human Gastrointestinal System
Unless you have a history of gastroesophageal reflux (heartburn), very few things involving the GI tract would cause pain below the sternum
I am impressed with your conclusion. I have indeed been diagnosed with gastroesphageal reflux. Incidently i happily have never had an epigastro event while hiking.
My prehike diet has been greatly reduced to barely anything. Didnt even eat a banana last time out. Although when the pain was most acute it had followed an evening of Borscht and the HAFE presymptomized ascention. I have little appetite while on a 14er and push myself to snack a little on nuts and chocalate.
I believe i will experiment with gas-x. In theory that should help the pain side of HAFE. For the rest the team will just have to leave a little separation i guess. Early onset free expulsion will be investigated aswell. Currently restraint is exercised until the physical discomfort sets in, then there is no consideration of their resulting discomfort. (One member described 2nd hand nausea). One does fear flatus being accompanied by excreta above treeline. Disimulation would quickly lead to erythema.
Thank you all for the educational yet discrete and tastefull handling of HAFE.
I am impressed with your conclusion. I have indeed been diagnosed with gastroesphageal reflux. Incidently i happily have never had an epigastro event while hiking.
My prehike diet has been greatly reduced to barely anything. Didnt even eat a banana last time out. Although when the pain was most acute it had followed an evening of Borscht and the HAFE presymptomized ascention. I have little appetite while on a 14er and push myself to snack a little on nuts and chocalate.
I believe i will experiment with gas-x. In theory that should help the pain side of HAFE. For the rest the team will just have to leave a little separation i guess. Early onset free expulsion will be investigated aswell. Currently restraint is exercised until the physical discomfort sets in, then there is no consideration of their resulting discomfort. (One member described 2nd hand nausea). One does fear flatus being accompanied by excreta above treeline. Disimulation would quickly lead to erythema.
Thank you all for the educational yet discrete and tastefull handling of HAFE.
