Given a day of good weather and a mtn within our abilities, what is it that you/us/we fear or are afraid of having happen to us during our hike? Does fear even enter the equation?
As the weather and difficulty increase, do your/our fears change?
I find the subject interesting if for no other reason than our fears vs. the real objective fears can be so far apart.
I am reminded of a line in a movie....."danger is real but fear is a choice"
What is it that we fear......
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
oldschool
- Posts: 891
- Joined: 2/27/2007
- 14ers: 58 6
- 13ers: 3
- Trip Reports (23)
What is it that we fear......
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
-
hessma
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 7/24/2016
- 14ers: 10
- 13ers: 4 2
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: What is it that we fear......
For me, fear is largely a function of the unknown. I've spent a significant amount of time working on flight decks in the Navy, climbing on wind turbines, and tooling around on hydro dam projects. These are all highly safety driven activities due to the nature of the work, and we trained constantly for what to do in case of an accident or unexpected event.
Despite the training, my level of "fear" always seemed to spike prior to any activity, when I was just thinking about what would happen (the unknown). It seemed to subside more once I was engaged and actively participating in any activity.
Experience also has a direct impact on fear for me. Repetition and a healthy understanding of the variables tends to alleviate my fears.
Despite the training, my level of "fear" always seemed to spike prior to any activity, when I was just thinking about what would happen (the unknown). It seemed to subside more once I was engaged and actively participating in any activity.
Experience also has a direct impact on fear for me. Repetition and a healthy understanding of the variables tends to alleviate my fears.
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
-
susanjoypaul
- Posts: 2148
- Joined: 9/8/2006
- 14ers: 58 2
- 13ers: 95 6
- Trip Reports (2)
Re: What is it that we fear......
This is a common theme among many motivational speakers and their self-help guides: How to stop worrying about the past and fearing for the future so you can free your mind to live in the moment. Mindfulness...presence...whatever you want to call it, it's a hot thing right now.
Please let's not tell any of them how easy it is to live in the moment when you're in the mountains.
Please let's not tell any of them how easy it is to live in the moment when you're in the mountains.
-
rpdawes
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 7/26/2013
- 14ers: 18 1
- 13ers: 52 2
- Trip Reports (7)
Re: What is it that we fear......
On a spiritual side, faith in God drives fears away. On a physical side, knowledge and understanding of what things do help build up self-confidence which alleviate fears. For example, some people are scared of snakes and bees because they think that those creatures would bite or sting without a good reason. Only if they understand what they can do, they would leave them alone and their fears are gone.
-
Mark A Steiner
- Posts: 1006
- Joined: 4/14/2008
- 14ers: 3
- 13ers: 11
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: What is it that we fear......
Well said.rpdawes wrote:On a spiritual side, faith in God drives fears away. .
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Re: What is it that we fear......
Most of us feel some degree of fear at times due to the natural instincts that we possess from evolving on a planet with a brutal system called "Survival of the Fittest." A few natural fears, which keep us safe, include spiders and snakes, bad weather, and THE DARK- because we can become prey to other animals. If a person spends enough time outdoors, these fears may fade, which can be a good thing but only to a certain point.
Every time we leave civilization, there are risks that we manage. An essential part of mountaineering is self-sufficiency, and an essential benefit of mountaineering is the confidence that comes from overcoming ones fears. Edmund Hillary said, "It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."
And I agree with the OP that sometimes we surmount something that turns out to be nowhere near as scary as it was in our imagination. This knowledge can help us through many things in life.
Every time we leave civilization, there are risks that we manage. An essential part of mountaineering is self-sufficiency, and an essential benefit of mountaineering is the confidence that comes from overcoming ones fears. Edmund Hillary said, "It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."
And I agree with the OP that sometimes we surmount something that turns out to be nowhere near as scary as it was in our imagination. This knowledge can help us through many things in life.
-
BuckTurgidson
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 6/4/2014
- 14ers: 32 2
- 13ers: 1
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: What is it that we fear......
Making a bad decision.
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: What is it that we fear......
I fear that I will get too old and too out of shape to do all the climbs that I want to.
And sheep dogs in the Flat Tops. Those things scare the he** out of me.
And sheep dogs in the Flat Tops. Those things scare the he** out of me.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
-
Jay521
- Posts: 1179
- Joined: 8/1/2007
- 14ers: 43 10
- 13ers: 180 22
- Trip Reports (56)
Re: What is it that we fear......
So you're saying you are afraid of being me??? <smile>Scott P wrote:I fear that I will get too old and too out of shape to do all the climbs that I want to.
Last edited by Jay521 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
-
KentonB
- Posts: 735
- Joined: 5/13/2007
- 14ers: 58
- 13ers: 70
- Trip Reports (3)
Re: What is it that we fear......
Given the constraints of the OP (good weather and a mountain within our ability)... I tend to fear rattlesnake bites at low-elevation, mountain lions at mid-elevation, and rockfall at high-elevation.
However, at the moment I'm on blood thinners, so I fear bleeding! LOL My doctor told me to bring super glue and a tourniquet with me on hikes "Just in case". He knows me too well.
However, at the moment I'm on blood thinners, so I fear bleeding! LOL My doctor told me to bring super glue and a tourniquet with me on hikes "Just in case". He knows me too well.
-
Flips
- Posts: 223
- Joined: 9/7/2009
- 14ers: 58
- 13ers: 106 2
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: What is it that we fear......
I fear me 3 years from now. Of course, I feared that 3 years ago. I'll be 67 in 4 days.Jay521 wrote:So you're saying you are afraid of me??? <smile>Scott P wrote:I fear that I will get too old and too out of shape to do all the climbs that I want to.
-
bmcqueen
- Posts: 662
- Joined: 4/22/2013
- 14ers: 58 52
- 13ers: 377 18
- Trip Reports (25)
Re: What is it that we fear......
Hubris.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin
https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
