This exact conversation has taken place before: several people say they don’t understand why TallGrass is no longer participating in the discussion forum on 14’ers.com.
They are missing a great deal of information.
The venerable founder/owner/administrator of this incredible FREE website, Bill M., is not going to divulge the details. But, as stated before, anyone that thinks he would lock someone out of their account without a valid reason vastly underestimates him.
I’m not going to divulge all of the information I have either, but feel compelled to point out that some people are clearly experiencing some memory loss: does Scott P. not remember starting a thread titled- Can We Moderate Or Get Rid of TallGrass?
And consider the following: TallGrass sometimes posted reasonable advice in a normal fashion, but had then become increasingly obsessive about dominating most forum threads as an obnoxious know-it-all and an internet bully, often labeling someone a TROLL just for disagreeing with him. Being likable in person does not excuse this behavior.
Several people, including me, doggedly tried to keep him in check, but this only made things messier, and eventually he started posting under alternative UserNames such as PlayGneiss, ZoeSaldana, BillDeDuece, (and at least one more that I can’t recall).
But my personal feud with him is much more complicated than simply annoyance at his forum posts. I consider him a shady character. I bet not even Geo, his most loyal defender, knows his name (even his first name), nor his occupation, nor his reason for avoiding being photographed.
Sorry so many words- signing off now, forever this time, really. Goodbye, beautiful hiker/climber people!
-Brad
Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
Bradradical
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 1/1/2017
- Trip Reports (0)
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
No, I definitely remember that and many other tiffs too. That's why I said here in this thread that I didn't always get along with him on the forum, but thought he was nice in person after meeting him at the gatherings. I don't hold anything personally against him even if I wished he'd be banned or moderated in the past. It's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.Bradradical wrote: ↑Mon Sep 15, 2025 12:30 am I’m not going to divulge all of the information I have either, but feel compelled to point out that some people are clearly experiencing some memory loss: does Scott P. not remember starting a thread titled- Can We Moderate Or Get Rid of TallGrass?
Still, I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with bringing him up in new threads. If he wants to come back and if Bill wants him back, that's their decision.
He must follow the forums in some way if he shows up at the gatherings. I haven't heard any negative things happen with him showing up.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
-
Istoodupthere
- Posts: 236
- Joined: 5/5/2022
- 14ers: 58 2
- 13ers: 72 7
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
Never met the guy and I’ve never seen any of his posts. He sure lives rent free in many of your heads. From an outsider’s point of view, this thread is kind of embarrassing and should probably end
-
Ed_Groves
- Posts: 288
- Joined: 6/6/2019
- 14ers: 39
- 13ers: 12
- Trip Reports (5)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
I don't know Tallgrass, but Bill seems to be one of the most even-handed moderators I've ever experienced. He lets a lot of things slide. If he banned someone I suspect there was a good reason. And out of respect, it is a good idea to forgo revealing why people are banned.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
I fully admit there are people I flat-out cannot stand, sometimes to the point where, if I hear about them shuffling off this mortal coil, my reaction is, "Good, more oxygen for the rest of us." But since thinking about those people typically does nothing useful for my mental health, I try really hard to avoid it. I certainly don't go lurking in corners of the internet where their (screen)names might come up once every few years or so, waiting for such an occasion apparently as momentous as a total eclipse or a live viewing of Halley's Comet to vent some evidently longstanding accumulated spleen when it does so. In fact, I'd say it's kinda reminiscent, in my mind anyway, of my neighbor's dog barking its head off until it was practically frothing at the mouth when a resident wearing clothes that sorta resemble a postal worker's uniform had the utter gall to enter the building, except that even the dog eventually learned to settle down.Bradradical wrote: ↑Mon Sep 15, 2025 12:30 am This exact conversation has taken place before: several people say they don’t understand why TallGrass is no longer participating in the discussion forum on 14’ers.com.
They are missing a great deal of information.
The venerable founder/owner/administrator of this incredible FREE website, Bill M., is not going to divulge the details. But, as stated before, anyone that thinks he would lock someone out of their account without a valid reason vastly underestimates him.
I’m not going to divulge all of the information I have either, but feel compelled to point out that some people are clearly experiencing some memory loss: does Scott P. not remember starting a thread titled- Can We Moderate Or Get Rid of TallGrass?
And consider the following: TallGrass sometimes posted reasonable advice in a normal fashion, but had then become increasingly obsessive about dominating most forum threads as an obnoxious know-it-all and an internet bully, often labeling someone a TROLL just for disagreeing with him. Being likable in person does not excuse this behavior.
Several people, including me, doggedly tried to keep him in check, but this only made things messier, and eventually he started posting under alternative UserNames such as PlayGneiss, ZoeSaldana, BillDeDuece, (and at least one more that I can’t recall).
But my personal feud with him is much more complicated than simply annoyance at his forum posts. I consider him a shady character. I bet not even Geo, his most loyal defender, knows his name (even his first name), nor his occupation, nor his reason for avoiding being photographed.
Well, maybe, what, seventh? eighth? time's the charm. But if not, I can PM you a list of free mental health resources throughout the state of Colorado, if that's where you're located.Bradradical wrote: ↑Mon Sep 15, 2025 12:30 am Sorry so many words- signing off now, forever this time, really. Goodbye, beautiful hiker/climber people!
-Brad
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
-
pvnisher
- Posts: 1757
- Joined: 9/28/2006
- Trip Reports (8)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
Idgaf about his name, and actually didn't know he was the playgneiss guy always PMing me.Bradradical wrote: ↑Mon Sep 15, 2025 12:30 am
But my personal feud with him is much more complicated than simply annoyance at his forum posts. I consider him a shady character. I bet not even Geo, his most loyal defender, knows his name (even his first name), nor his occupation, nor his reason for avoiding being photographed.
But I do want to know his occupation and why he avoids being photographed.
-
BillMiddlebrook
- Site Administrator
- Posts: 6781
- Joined: 7/25/2004
- 14ers: 58 47 19
- 13ers: 174 45 37
- Trip Reports (5)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
Fake news.CheapCigarMan wrote: ↑Wed Sep 10, 2025 6:49 am Driving to work I wondered if TallGrass traded his bike for an auto. After inquiring, Osprey and another forum member said I had it all wrong. That this was Bill's car!
Happy to see Bill still thinks fondly of TallGrass.
I'm not a vanity plate kind of guy, and I don't troll on the internet.
Fascism, xenophobia, racism, and ignorance are not inevitable—they are choices. And so are compassion, understanding, and justice. Educate yourself and choose better.
