Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Kiefer
Posts: 1917
Joined: 5/10/2008
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 364 24
Trip Reports (30)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by Kiefer »

I may be in the minority on this one, but I have nothing bad to say about Tallgrass. I like the guy. I don't remember anything he said in the forums about people or on subjects, so I have no basis to hate him.
He's visited me when I worked at Purgatory. We talked a long while. And again in Durango. We visited/talked and I watched videos of him and Geo at Hesperus with him on skinny skis. Pretty damn entertaining actually!

I know he's never had a stellar reputation on this site, as Dave was so gracious to impart something that happened in his past experience with the guy. But personally, I have nothing but good things to say
about him
. He's never done me wrong, has always been polite, funny and actually, informative with me. And yeah, sometimes a bit odd, but we all have our own proclivities. So what? If differences were enough to drive people
away from one another, then this forum shouldn't exist. And yet, here we are making it work despite differences in experience, political affinities, family, religion etc.
And now that I think about it, I'm actually impressed this thread hasn't devolved into a circus. So, kudos to all the posters for keeping things cordial! =D>

It says more about a person who is able to put aside their judgments of others when notions don't line up & open dialog, then it is to throw unsubstantiated criticism and close the door.
User avatar
HikesInGeologicTime
Posts: 721
Joined: 10/28/2016
14ers: 58  11  18 
13ers: 69 3 11
Trip Reports (57)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

bdloftin77 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 10, 2025 9:49 pm I met him in Chi Basin when I was getting close to finishing the 14ers. He seemed pretty friendly and talkative. I offered him some snacks.

I’d lost my headlamp on that trip, and he found and mailed it to me.

He was the one who noticed that I had finished the 14ers, and started a congratulatory thread here for me.

One time he was driving through Colorado Springs and wanted to meet up. I’m not a big coffee or beer guy, so we got fro yo. He offered to pay. He talked about some of his trips, especially one of his trips motoring through Mexico. Pretty entertaining!
That all sounds like pretty classic TallGrass. He once bought me lunch when I was traveling through KC after visiting friends on the East Coast and coached me through some car issues on the same trip (the car is fine, happily).
Or why he chooses to keep his real name a secret? (he introduced himself as Tall Grass to me and didn’t give his real name)

If I paid you enough money, would you be able to tell me his real name? (In a PM of course) :lol: I bet it rhymes with Rumplestiltskin.
I myself don’t go by my real name in 14er-related settings, partly because of some drama from my past that I’d like to keep there, partly to avoid an excess of future drama. Who knows how many protests I might have on my front lawn if people could figure out where I live AND knew that I still wouldn’t have liked Pyramid even if I hadn’t fallen off it??
On a more serious note, tell him it was great meeting the myth, the man, and the legend! I hope he’s able to complete the Cents, if he hasn’t already. And I hope he continues to enjoy mountains wherever life takes him.
He will appreciate all of that, I am sure!
Kiefer wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 8:41 am I may be in the minority on this one, but I have nothing bad to say about Tallgrass. I like the guy. I don't remember anything he said in the forums about people or on subjects, so I have no basis to hate him.
He's visited me when I worked at Purgatory. We talked a long while. And again in Durango. We visited/talked and I watched videos of him and Geo at Hesperus with him on skinny skis. Pretty damn entertaining actually!

I know he's never had a stellar reputation on this site, as Dave was so gracious to impart something that happened in his past experience with the guy. But personally, I have nothing but good things to say
about him
. He's never done me wrong, has always been polite, funny and actually, informative with me. And yeah, sometimes a bit odd, but we all have our own proclivities. So what? If differences were enough to drive people
away from one another, then this forum shouldn't exist. And yet, here we are making it work despite differences in experience, political affinities, family, religion etc.
And now that I think about it, I'm actually impressed this thread hasn't devolved into a circus. So, kudos to all the posters for keeping things cordial! =D>

It says more about a person who is able to put aside their judgments of others when notions don't line up & open dialog, then it is to throw unsubstantiated criticism and close the door.
Was that the Hesperus vid where he was using his own shoelaces as bindings? He actually managed to make a proper turn, maybe two, with those things!

I, for one, don’t think there’s a whole lot of difference between how people present themselves online vs. IRL, and TG is no different. But in person, there’s enough context clues from facial expressions, tone, etc. that it’s easier to discern someone’s intent. TallGrass does have the best of intentions, even if the presentation sometimes comes across a little rough.
Last edited by HikesInGeologicTime on Thu Sep 11, 2025 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
User avatar
ICantHearYou
Posts: 34
Joined: 8/12/2021
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 24 2
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by ICantHearYou »

For the relatively new folks on here, anyone want to tell us who Tallgrass is? What was the bolting controversy? Why did he get banned?
seannunn
Posts: 439
Joined: 3/6/2024
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by seannunn »

ICantHearYou wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 2:50 pm For the relatively new folks on here, anyone want to tell us who Tallgrass is? What was the bolting controversy? Why did he get banned?
I will give the pro-Tall Grass version.
He is a tall lanky, 30 something (40 something now?) guy who apparently has at least some mad climbing skills (he famously got permission, then climbed Sunlight Spire and put in a new bolt at the top of the route with a hand drill, thereby replacing an inordinate amount of old tat up there. He caught hell from his naysayers for this.)

He did have some posts that were iffy (although IMO nothing nearly as cruel as some other posters).
I can't speak for what led to his ban. This was years ago.

Sean Nunn
Peculiar, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."

--Psalm 36:6
User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 2492
Joined: 6/14/2010
Trip Reports (9)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by Dave B »

Kiefer wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 8:41 am It says more about a person who is able to put aside their judgments of others when notions don't line up & open dialog, then it is to throw unsubstantiated criticism and close the door.
Thank you for the sermon, Reverend. I shall take to the hills in search of this mythical man, both capable of acting like a total knob online and inspiring legions of followers through his magnanimity, compassion, and empathy. I will bring water, with hopes of returning with wine.
User avatar
Wentzl
Posts: 1267
Joined: 7/29/2008
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (51)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by Wentzl »

Not sure why he got banned. To my mind nothing he posted seemed terribly offensive or inflammatory.

In fact, given the head space he still seems to fill, I think he should be given an apology, a pardon and in invite to rejoin.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY
User avatar
Matt
Posts: 2713
Joined: 7/26/2005
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by Matt »

painless4u2 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 10, 2025 7:56 pm Dave probably hates Wrangler drivers too.
You gotta keep up if you wanna be snarky. Dave drives a Liberty. Smokin'

Dave B wrote: ↑Wed Sep 10, 2025 10:26 pm Maybe he's back with a new alias and not being an such stubbed toe. Capt managed to pull it off, so who knows.
Maybe if we all PlayGneiss, he'll grace us with some content.
Never met the guy in person, but he showed up in my inbox plenty. I haven't got an unsolicited random PM from him in years.
Sounds like he's a lot different in person than online. Imagine that.

Also CaptCO's new id is only a secret to people who weren't here when he was CaptCO. Those were the days, lol.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
User avatar
XterraRob
Posts: 1204
Joined: 7/20/2015
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by XterraRob »

Dave B wrote: ↑Wed Sep 10, 2025 12:32 pm No, Rob, I have not. Are you here to defend his honor?
I am late to respond but yes I am!

Free Tallgrass!
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
User avatar
cedica
Posts: 827
Joined: 6/25/2014
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by cedica »

On the way to tanning salon I wondered if Richard Derkase finally bought his dream car. Or was this sighting of Bill's second vehicle?
.
dick.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 9893
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 57 14
Trip Reports (16)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by Scott P »

Wentzl wrote: ↑Fri Sep 12, 2025 4:43 pm Not sure why he got banned.
I believe it was because he could dish it out more than he could take it. From what I remember, it wasn't his forum post themselves that caused the banning but the constant bombarding of the site owner with too many emails and complaints.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if he came back but that's not my decision. Who knows if he even wants to come back (under the same name at least)? He has shown up at several of the gatherings and was a likable guy.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
justiner
Posts: 4943
Joined: 8/28/2010
14ers: 3  1 
Trip Reports (40)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by justiner »

I thought he essentially asked Bill to get self-banned
Long May You Range! Purveyors of fine bespoke adventures
User avatar
CheapCigarMan
Posts: 651
Joined: 12/10/2014
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 161 2
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's

Post by CheapCigarMan »

justiner wrote: ↑Sat Sep 13, 2025 9:09 pm I thought he essentially asked Bill to get self-banned
Unlike others that have been kicked off where people knew the reason why. With TG there's all of this mystery and speculation from everyone. Why not just ask Bill why TG was removed?
I should be on a mountain