Hey!!! I drive a... ok, case in point. But tallgrass is actually pretty nice in person.
Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
oldschool
- Posts: 891
- Joined: 2/27/2007
- 14ers: 58 6
- 13ers: 3
- Trip Reports (23)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
I met Tallgrass while doing Gash on Blanca. I was coming down, he was heading up to do Lindsey I believe.
Kind, talkative, generous...nice guy. Ok in my book. I worked for 5 years in outdoor wilderness programs in UT. I dealt with and interacted with Asperger's and other " on the spectrum" kids and young adults. It can be challenging for some. Yes, they are socially unaware and say things not generally "acceptable" in normal circles. They don't do it on purpose.
Mike
Kind, talkative, generous...nice guy. Ok in my book. I worked for 5 years in outdoor wilderness programs in UT. I dealt with and interacted with Asperger's and other " on the spectrum" kids and young adults. It can be challenging for some. Yes, they are socially unaware and say things not generally "acceptable" in normal circles. They don't do it on purpose.
Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
-
HikerGuy
- Posts: 1546
- Joined: 5/25/2006
- 14ers: 58
- 13ers: 596 8
- Trip Reports (9)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
I had the same experience, crossed paths with him at South Colony Lakes.oldschool wrote: ↑Wed Sep 10, 2025 3:08 pm I met Tallgrass while doing Gash on Blanca. I was coming down, he was heading up to do Lindsey I believe.
Kind, talkative, generous...nice guy. Ok in my book. I worked for 5 years in outdoor wilderness programs in UT. I dealt with and interacted with Asperger's and other " on the spectrum" kids and young adults. It can be challenging for some. Yes, they are socially unaware and say things not generally "acceptable" in normal circles. They don't do it on purpose.
Mike
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
I met TG once at Molas Pass prior to knowing much about him. My girlfriend at the time and our dogs were heading into Vestal Basin to climb Wham Ridge. He was a very nice individual and I hope to cross paths again sometime soon. That’s all I’d like to say 
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
I also have Asperger's, but can say that at least occasionally we do stir the pot on purpose (just like anyone else).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
No way TallGrass would a) swap his motorcycle out for a car and b) get a Colorado plate for it!
He's not on the spectrum. He's as well-versed in social norms as most; he just doesn't necessarily care to observe all of them unless given a good reason, like someone asking/telling him not to bring up certain topics in certain company and/or at certain times...and if given such a reason, he behaves with due propriety.
But if there's something that needs to be done, he'll do it. He's done enough odd jobs around my condo building that nobody who lives in the building cares enough to do ourselves while surfing my couch that one of my elderly neighbors will, on seeing his motorbike parked next to my car, sometimes tape a chore list for TG on my door.
He does talk a lot - and, as an introvert, I really do mean A Lot - but also from an introvert's perspective, sometimes it's not a bad thing to share a long drive or trail with someone who can keep ~95-100% of the conversation going on his own. Also if you're the kind who'd prefer to eat your dinner in as unobtrusive a manner as possible, blending into the pleather of the booth as best you can while scarfing down pasta, he will ensure that absolutely no one in the restaurant is watching you eat because he'll be going around giving excited Show-and-Tell presentations to every other occupied table in the place, gleefully regaling them with the tale of how he dug through the bargain bin at the nearby grocery store until he found he a family-sized box of pink and purple princess/unicorn fruit snacks for $2. In other words, never a dull moment.
He's not on the spectrum. He's as well-versed in social norms as most; he just doesn't necessarily care to observe all of them unless given a good reason, like someone asking/telling him not to bring up certain topics in certain company and/or at certain times...and if given such a reason, he behaves with due propriety.
But if there's something that needs to be done, he'll do it. He's done enough odd jobs around my condo building that nobody who lives in the building cares enough to do ourselves while surfing my couch that one of my elderly neighbors will, on seeing his motorbike parked next to my car, sometimes tape a chore list for TG on my door.
He does talk a lot - and, as an introvert, I really do mean A Lot - but also from an introvert's perspective, sometimes it's not a bad thing to share a long drive or trail with someone who can keep ~95-100% of the conversation going on his own. Also if you're the kind who'd prefer to eat your dinner in as unobtrusive a manner as possible, blending into the pleather of the booth as best you can while scarfing down pasta, he will ensure that absolutely no one in the restaurant is watching you eat because he'll be going around giving excited Show-and-Tell presentations to every other occupied table in the place, gleefully regaling them with the tale of how he dug through the bargain bin at the nearby grocery store until he found he a family-sized box of pink and purple princess/unicorn fruit snacks for $2. In other words, never a dull moment.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
-
painless4u2
- Posts: 1308
- Joined: 7/14/2010
- 14ers: 58
- Trip Reports (8)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
Dave probably hates Wrangler drivers too (my personal vehicle). I'm betting he drives a Subie... Long Live TallGrass.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bad decisions often make good stories.
IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
i really appreciate this heartwarming start to
posting season.
1. navigation | 2. illumination | 3. sun protection | 4. first aid | 5. shelter | 6. insulation | 7. fire | 8. repair | 9. water | 10. food | 11. hot sauce
-
bdloftin77
- Posts: 1442
- Joined: 9/23/2013
- 14ers: 58 1
- 13ers: 99
- Trip Reports (2)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
I met him in Chi Basin when I was getting close to finishing the 14ers. He seemed pretty friendly and talkative. I offered him some snacks.HikesInGeologicTime wrote: ↑Wed Sep 10, 2025 6:17 pm No way TallGrass would a) swap his motorcycle out for a car and b) get a Colorado plate for it!
He's not on the spectrum. He's as well-versed in social norms as most; he just doesn't necessarily care to observe all of them unless given a good reason, like someone asking/telling him not to bring up certain topics in certain company and/or at certain times...and if given such a reason, he behaves with due propriety.
But if there's something that needs to be done, he'll do it. He's done enough odd jobs around my condo building that nobody who lives in the building cares enough to do ourselves while surfing my couch that one of my elderly neighbors will, on seeing his motorbike parked next to my car, sometimes tape a chore list for TG on my door.![]()
He does talk a lot - and, as an introvert, I really do mean A Lot - but also from an introvert's perspective, sometimes it's not a bad thing to share a long drive or trail with someone who can keep ~95-100% of the conversation going on his own. Also if you're the kind who'd prefer to eat your dinner in as unobtrusive a manner as possible, blending into the pleather of the booth as best you can while scarfing down pasta, he will ensure that absolutely no one in the restaurant is watching you eat because he'll be going around giving excited Show-and-Tell presentations to every other occupied table in the place, gleefully regaling them with the tale of how he dug through the bargain bin at the nearby grocery store until he found he a family-sized box of pink and purple princess/unicorn fruit snacks for $2. In other words, never a dull moment.
I’d lost my headlamp on that trip, and he found and mailed it to me.
He was the one who noticed that I had finished the 14ers, and started a congratulatory thread here for me.
One time he was driving through Colorado Springs and wanted to meet up. I’m not a big coffee or beer guy, so we got fro yo. He offered to pay. He talked about some of his trips, especially one of his trips motoring through Mexico. Pretty entertaining!
Do you know if he ever finished the Centennials? Or why he chooses to keep his real name a secret? (he introduced himself as Tall Grass to me and didn’t give his real name)
If I paid you enough money, would you be able to tell me his real name? (In a PM of course)
On a more serious note, tell him it was great meeting the myth, the man, and the legend! I hope he’s able to complete the Cents, if he hasn’t already. And I hope he continues to enjoy mountains wherever life takes him.
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
I don't think this is a bad thing. I know it has happened that people got pissed off at people in various forums and contacted their employers, friends, spouses, etc. All of us using our real names in forums or even at gatherings are definitely taking a risk.bdloftin77 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 10, 2025 9:49 pm Or why he chooses to keep his real name a secret? (he introduced himself as Tall Grass to me and didn’t give his real name)
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
-
Dave B
- Posts: 2492
- Joined: 6/14/2010
- Trip Reports (9)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
I do.
I do not.
Happy to see all the pro TG support... now. Don't remember so much enthusiasm back when he was on the forum more. Rose colored glasses I guess.
Maybe he's back with a new alias and not being an such stubbed toe. Capt managed to pull it off, so who knows.
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: Cheap Cigars, TallGrass, Bill and BMW's
It's probably more about him showing up at the gatherings or on climbs rather than looking back to the forum with rose colored glasses. I think everyone knows that he was often a doofus on the forum, but after he stopped posting on the forums he started to show up at gatherings and was much easier to like in person.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
