Best GPX apps/programs

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What is the best GPX app/program(s)?

Caltopo
46
51%
GAIA
27
30%
All Trails
3
3%
Garmin
4
4%
Avenza
1
1%
Other (add in comments)
9
10%
 
Total votes: 90
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 6781
Joined: 7/25/2004
14ers: 58  47  19 
13ers: 174 45 37
Trip Reports (5)
 

Re: Best GPX apps/programs

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

colingoodman wrote: ↑Thu Jul 10, 2025 9:02 am I used to use Gaia, but after Outside bought it the developers of Gaia left and started working on a clone called Goat Maps. Not sure what the story is there, but Goat Maps is close to parity with Gaia and being improved quickly.

https://www.goatmaps.com/
They acquired a software company without making the GAIA developers sign a Non-Compete? Duh
Fascism, xenophobia, racism, and ignorance are not inevitable—they are choices. And so are compassion, understanding, and justice. Educate yourself and choose better.
User avatar
justiner
Posts: 4943
Joined: 8/28/2010
14ers: 3  1 
Trip Reports (40)
 

Re: Best GPX apps/programs

Post by justiner »

We're going to look back at the Great Outside Acquisition as a mass grave of once-loved products and publications in the attempt to monopolize "Outside"-ness for the pursuit of profit.
Long May You Range! Purveyors of fine bespoke adventures
User avatar
dwoodward13
Posts: 935
Joined: 3/26/2011
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 194 6
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Best GPX apps/programs

Post by dwoodward13 »

justiner wrote: ↑Thu Jul 10, 2025 1:27 pm We're going to look back at the Great Outside Acquisition as a mass grave of once-loved products and publications in the attempt to monopolize "Outside"-ness for the pursuit of profit.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-f ... ntain-west

Nice requiem for all the brands now bought out under the Outside Umbrella
seano
Posts: 891
Joined: 6/9/2010
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Best GPX apps/programs

Post by seano »

I use Organic Maps for low-res maps and routing (OpenStreetMap), and Peakbagger for high-res topos (USGS, USFS, others). Those two together are good enough anywhere in the world. I want to like CalTopo, since it has a ton of useful features like slope-angle shading, but the offline mode on iOS is too buggy to count on, frequently refusing to paint tiles I have downloaded or glitching out and painting random junk.

Speaking of buyouts and software going to s**t... Organic Maps is a fork of MapsWithMe, which became Maps.Me, then got sold on to a series of increasingly greedy scum and holding companies. The original developers took the last decent version of Maps.Me and have been steadily improving it.
User avatar
rmcpherson
Posts: 138
Joined: 9/3/2018
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 88 2 1
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Best GPX apps/programs

Post by rmcpherson »

seano wrote: ↑Sat Jul 12, 2025 9:25 pm I want to like CalTopo, since it has a ton of useful features like slope-angle shading, but the offline mode on iOS is too buggy to count on, frequently refusing to paint tiles I have downloaded or glitching out and painting random junk.
I've also seen these issues in CalTopo. I can usually get it to reload offline maps correctly by killing the app and then restarting it, selecting the layer that I have saved offline, and only then loading a route. I agree they need to work on the reliability of offline maps though. Since I've too often had this issue with offline maps not loading correctly in various apps I always ensure I have at least two apps with offline maps saved for redundancy.

A couple other things I wish CalTopo would improve:
- having the app close while tracking in the background, leading to incomplete gpx data
- power usage while tracking. It uses far more battery per time than competitive apps.
User avatar
rmcpherson
Posts: 138
Joined: 9/3/2018
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 88 2 1
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Best GPX apps/programs

Post by rmcpherson »

CalTopo was just updated with an offline mode (on iOS at least) to force using downloaded layers. Hopefully this will resolve the issues with map tiles not always loading correctly when offline.

Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
morth2
Posts: 19
Joined: 7/31/2013
14ers: 30  8 
13ers: 29 2
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Best GPX apps/programs

Post by morth2 »

Can any CalTopo + iOS users chime in if their offline mode has improved or declined in the last year? Since GoatMaps is already shutting down (guess the good really do die young) I'm back on the hunt for a new app. ](*,)
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 6781
Joined: 7/25/2004
14ers: 58  47  19 
13ers: 174 45 37
Trip Reports (5)
 

Re: Best GPX apps/programs

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Developing a mapping app is hard.
Fascism, xenophobia, racism, and ignorance are not inevitable—they are choices. And so are compassion, understanding, and justice. Educate yourself and choose better.
User avatar
Boggy B
Posts: 968
Joined: 10/14/2009
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 784 76
Trip Reports (57)
 

Re: Best GPX apps/programs

Post by Boggy B »

hot topic..

I don't know if CalTopo is the best, but works great for me, and have dealt with some of the aforementioned:
- Issues keeping GPS tracking are usually caused by Android/iOS or OEM specific battery optimization settings, not the tracking app
- With CalTopo on Android, I don't have an "offline mode" in the app, but I do have to turn on airplane mode to get it to quickly and reliably render downloaded tiles and slope shading, which is fine because airplane mode is necessary to save battery life anyway
- Assuming continuous GPS tracking in airplane mode, battery consumption is dictated by the Record Track Detail setting in CalTopo. Highest/High kill my battery, but it goes all day on Medium, which is a more than sufficient level of detail. YMMV