Ranking the Sawatch

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
MidsizeAl
Posts: 187
Joined: 2/17/2020
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 61 2
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by MidsizeAl »

cardgenius wrote: ↑Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:46 pm I agree, the non-standards are where it’s at in the Sawatch. Halo Ridge on Holy Cross, Grouse Canyon on Princeton, Tabeguache west ridge, Tour de Huron, Yale/Columbia east ridge, Elbert/Massive/La Plata south approaches are some of my favorite routes yet. Great views and terrain with very few people compared to the standard routes.
+1

I started seeking out alternate routes in the Sawatch when I was about halfway finished with them, and I wish I had done all of them that way. Every non-standard route I've chosen has been a great day and it is hard to pick a favorite. If you've hustled through this range on the standard routes only, I pity you, and you are missing out.

Here is my unsorted list of a few highlights:

- Elbert's E Ridge - I've done this twice now, once as an out-and-back, and once as a loop, returning via the NE Ridge > the CO Trail. Cruiser class 1 easy trail, completely free of the typical crowds, and the aspen trees are incredible, especially in fall. Definitely recommend the loop, and be sure to check out the lakes and Lily Pond, where there are numerous beaver dams and dens.
- Columbia via Three Elk Creek - I did a TR on this one. Fun and easy route finding, so much water, superb views, almost zero chance of seeing another person.
- Missouri via Rockdale - Just finished the range with this one last weekend and hiked from the bottom. Added Iowa and Emerald because they were right there. The basin between Huron and Missouri is among the most beautiful places I've been, and I'm definitely going to go back up there to do some camping.
- Antero from LBC - another gorgeous long approach. The wildflowers were incredible when we hiked this last year. Saw maybe 2-3 people, except when joining the standard route.
- Halo Ridge - did this one CCW starting with Holy Cross. I'll go back the reverse direction next time to catch the sunrise views of Holy Cross, but it was a very fun and rewarding day.
- Bonus: Not 14ers, but French, Frasco, and Casco was one of my favorite days in the Sawatch as well. Scrambling along the ridge was very fun, as was the last push up to the summit of Casco.

I'm going to go back and repeat the rest from alternate routes as well.
User avatar
randalmartin
Posts: 1562
Joined: 5/4/2008
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 62 2
Trip Reports (13)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by randalmartin »

1] Group 1 - Favorites - Holy Cross, Huron
2] Group 2 - Enjoyable, nothing special - Massive, Elbert, La Plata, Harvard, Shavano, Tab, Princeton, Bel/Ox/Missouri, Yale
3] Group 3 - Not enjoyable - Antero (too much road hiking), Columbia (loose, awful slope to gain ridge. This was before CFI improvements).
User avatar
HikesInGeologicTime
Posts: 721
Joined: 10/28/2016
14ers: 58  11  18 
13ers: 69 3 11
Trip Reports (57)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

It’s becoming apparent that I need to repeat at least a few of the Sawatch at some point, because there are a few where I took some cool pictures but remember virtually no details about the hikes themselves, namely Massive, Huron, and La Plata (well, actually, I remember our first attempt of Massive up whichever is the shorter, steeper, non-standard route, and it was an early lesson in how much I hate short, steep, nonstandard routes, especially considering the standard route a week or two later was clearly unremarkable but ultimately far more successful).

But there were quite a few I enjoyed: Harvard (could’ve done without the wind gusts that day, but it was peak leaf season, and Horn Fork was gorgeous in gold), Bel/Ox (I made a small loop of it by coming down Elkhead Pass and would highly recommend that option), Holy Cross (which I put off for a while because I was dreading that 1k’ re-ascent at the end of the day, and while I could’ve ultimately done without that, it really wasn’t that bad, and the peak is beautiful), and Antero (yes, standard…I know, I know! But my timing was exceptional: early enough in the season that there was one patch of ice scaring off drivers and most other hikers within a mile of the 2WD TH, but the rest of the road was dry). I also enjoyed Black Cloud to S. Elbert, though I’ve never pushed on to Elbert proper from there (though I have done it twice by the standard route, both times when it wasn’t hideously crowded, and once via East Ridge for a snowflake and am sorta looking forward to revisiting the latter for a ski descent).

There were, however, also a few in my Never Again file (at least when unskiable). Misery has that irritating little section of loose garbage on sloping slab that must be managed in order to make the summit that I did not care for in the slightest. I loathed Tab from Jennings Creek - see previous rant about steep non-standard routes, not to mention how much I utterly despise boulder-hopping and scrambling. Princeton is also a minefield of potential ankle-rollers, though I didn’t mind it quite as much in the winter when there was snow filling that in some, and it is on my list of peaks I’d like to ski in the next couple seasons…but a summertime repeat, forget it! Shav had no business being that relentlessly steep, though again, it is high priority for skiing. Columbia I could totally believe is much improved now that the new trail’s finished, but when I hiked that one in 2017, the trail abruptly ended around 12,500’, and what was above it wasn’t my idea of a good time. Maybe I should put it on the repeat list, though, and not just for skiing.

Still, I think the Sawatch get an undeservedly bad rap. If you like walk-ups with great views, they fit the bill, especially once you get a little south of Leadville and start losing some of the crowds.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
User avatar
JROSKA
Posts: 642
Joined: 8/19/2010
14ers: 52 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (12)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by JROSKA »

ECF55 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:38 am Thanks for starting this thread! I’m four Sawatch in and am unsure where to go next. All of the peaks appear to be big days and relatively non-technical, but I’m not sure what differentiates the remaining peaks. Harvard (standard), Missouri (standard), Antero (Little Browns) and Shav/Tab (standard) are definitely on my short list if I can make it back to Colorado.

I’m interested in your thoughts.
I’ll try to expand a bit on my rankings.

1) Tabeguache W Ridge. I agree with those who say parts of the route were a pain (like the climb to point 13936) but the entire hike, and the terrain in that area, just seemed incredibly unique, unlike any other Sawatch peak.

2) Huron. Just beautiful scenery the whole way and a nice trail.

3) Missouri. It was awhile ago but I liked the Basin, and thought the ridge hike (with the class 2+ scramble) was interesting.

4) LaPlata (From Winfield, SW Ridge). Beautiful scenery. Loved the hike through the basin, nice summit view.

5) Columbia (post CFI trail work) the new trail was awesome. Didn’t really like the stuff above the trail work, but I liked the ridge.

6) Elbert. Can’t explain the high ranking. I just liked it for some reason. I think it helped that I started at 3:30 AM and the huge crowds didn’t come up until later.

7) Antero (standard). Didn’t mind the road as much as I thought I would. Appreciated the 5200 feet being spread out over 8 miles.

8 - Belford. This was my 3rd 14er way back in 2010. My first 2 were Democrat and Quandary, and it wasn’t until Belford that August where I really started to enjoy the 14er experience. So there’s some nostalgia.

9) Holy Cross. Not sure why it’s so low (2013 hike) but I’ve always struggled with lengthy approaches and I had a rough time with the 900 foot ascent on the way out after camping. That hurt the ranking. I remember not being overly impressed with the summit view. But the hike to the peak after camping was great.

10) Massive (SW Slopes) Nice scenery but a bit too steep for me. Lost a couple of toenails from the descent. Nice summit view though.

11) Shavano. Decent trail but kind of a boring hike. Steep.

12) Yale. Much like Shavano it just seemed kind of dull. Long time ago but I do remember liking the summit view.

13) Harvard. Nice summit view and nice hike through the basin but it was too long. Although, I can’t explain why Antero (also a long hike and on a road) gets a higher ranking. I may have just not been feeling great at Harvard as I remember being very close to turning back on a few occasions.

14) Princeton. I feel bad ranking it so low. From the radio towers it was a nice short hike (without the long approach that gives me trouble) so you’d think I’d appreciate that. Just was not a fan. During that entire traverse around Tigger Peak I kept wondering if that slope would slide. Didn’t love the summit view either, I think it was hazy that day.

It’s interesting though, reviewing my rankings and reading the comments and reasoning by others in the thread, most of these Sawatch peaks have more “personality” and unique characteristics than most people realize.
“A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion” - Proverbs 18:2
User avatar
aholle88
Posts: 383
Joined: 3/24/2015
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 315 36 3
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by aholle88 »

This is fun, the Sawatch is my backyard and I’ve been up and down most of them by a variety of routes and seasons.

#1 is La plata. Ellingwood is one of my favorite ridge runs in the state, and the north couloir is a classic ski. Two enjoyable summer routes that get loaded with wildflowers as well. Tough to argue anything else

#2 is Elbert. It has the 2nd best mountain bike trail off any of the 14ers. Several fun ski options. And a wide variety of summer routes, Black cloud and west ridge being my favorites, though I gravitate toward the north trail most since I can do it before work.

#3 is Huron. Beautiful summer route, east face is an amazing ski, and it’s actually pretty fun to mountain bike, though a lot slower and more technical than Elbert.

#4 is Massive. It’s just big and sexy. Decently fun skiing, fun trail running. SW ridge is beautiful, makes for a nice loop with the east trail. And loops matter, just because. The ridge from Massive to OK is pretty darn cool as well.

#5, #6, #7 are Holy Cross, Missouri, and Belford.. in no particular order. All 3 have fun ski descents, none are particularly enjoyable in summer though, at least for me. Holy cross definitely gets the nod for summer.

#8, #9 Harvard and Columbia. The ridge (the actual one, not the standard bypass) is fun, both have fun ski descents though Harvard is a lot of effort to get back there.

#10 Antero. Excellent mountain bike down little browns. The hike/run via Little browns is also pleasant. Has some spicy ski options that are rarely in condition, otherwise it might be higher on the list.

#11 yale. Enjoyable summer route options, not much else going on

#12, #13, #14 Shav Tab and Princeton, in no particular order. Decently fun ski options, none too enjoyable in summer.

#15 Oxford. Why can’t you be unranked or something.
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 3570
Joined: 12/5/2007
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by nyker »

None were "bad trips" all were good, but maybe some were better than others due to particular reasons:

1. La Plata, My first snow climb of a 14er, did it solo and it felt like a real expedition in the tail end of a clearing snowstorm
2. Columbia \ we did both from Frenchman's nobody was there just us, and was beautifully scenic and peaceful and quiet in a nice Autumn day despite parking way the heck down the road. Autumn weather was great and we too our time all day.
3. Harvard -/
4. Missouri - was a bluebird day and saw a pair of Golden eagles take flight from the summits I approached and felt strong whole day
5. Holy Cross - August snowstorm made it cool despite that 1000ft regain on the return
6. Elbert - did same week as La Plata and in snow and was solo whole day in a winter wonderland
7. Huron - fields full of lush greens and wildflowers made it look like a postcard.
8. Massive - ground covers in vibrant fall colors, few people and cooperative weather
9. Antero - did most of the peak in the rain/cloud cover until the summit when it cleared. Didn't love the constant traffic on the road.
10 Tabeguache - recall I had a better time the second time but uneventful, did it quickly as was scared to get in the middle of weather with another peak (Shavano) to have to re-ascend to get back.
11. Shavano - had to run off twice due to rapidly developing T-storms
12. Princeton - just felt somewhat ill on the ascent, looking back probably not sufficiently acclimatized and moved slowly
13. Yale - don't remember much on this one except wasn't in the best of shape and recall I had a tough time as it was pretty steep at the end.
14. Belford\
15. Oxford /did solo as my partner was not feeling well and stayed back, so while feeling strong, wasn't as fun solo and T-storms were coming in coming back from Oxford so I was rushing the whole time.
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 3570
Joined: 12/5/2007
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by nyker »

As I think of these I become a little nostalgic, after the inaugural Longs, these were first 14ers we did, and comprised our first dedicated climbing trips to Colorado, so the Sawatch will always hold a special place with me.
jordanthebuff
Posts: 17
Joined: 8/21/2017
14ers: 37 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by jordanthebuff »

What a fun thread. I don't usually comment, but I'll jump in here. My ranking based on how much I "liked" it, whatever that means. All standard routes, unless noted.

1. Mt Massive. Love starting out on the Colorado trail. Quick miles, good scenery. The view from the saddle is epic. I'll never forget the first moment when I crested the saddle and looked out at the other peaks behind Massive. Fun little ridge. Great early season because the east slopes get BAKED and the snow was gone fairly early.
2. La Plata. For the same reasons someone mentioned by someone else above. AMAZING hike through the trees, honestly spectacular. Yeah it's a bit sloggy from 11,5 up, but its worth it and I don't really mind switchbacks.
3. Shavano & Tab. My first solo ascent. I started early morning and remember feeling really great at the end. Might just be the sense of accomplishment.
4. Bel/Ox/Missouri. Loved this day for the Elk Pass loop. Still the longest single day I've done, but all three are fun peaks on their own imo.
5. Huron. We drove to the top of the road, so it was a short little day with amazing views. Probably the best views from a Swatch 14er. Maybe not challenging enough?
6. Holy Cross. I've got a love/hate relationship with Holy cross. It was my second one and I need to do it again; it's been almost 10 years.
7. Yale. Been up the standard trail a couple times and enjoy the trees. Ridge is fun to play around on.
8. Harvard. Basically same as Yale, but with a few extra miles
9. Antero. Didn't particularly hate the road. Did it on week day and actually kinda liked it *ducks*, didn't love the final ascent.
10. Columbia. Didn't love the trail (new one, never went up the old one). Can't exactly put a finger on why I didn't like it.
11. Elbert. It's fine. It's lots of people. Highest point yada yada. The trees are actually enjoyable but it's just so crowded.
12. Princeton. It's the worst by far imo. I drove to the towers and camped and still hated it. There just has to be a better way up that peak.

Thanks for letting me indulge myself y'all :horns:
User avatar
TaylorHolt
Posts: 767
Joined: 5/6/2012
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 221 10
Trip Reports (8)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by TaylorHolt »

The 3 H's are the best Sawatch peaks: Huron, Holy Cross, and Harvard.

Princeton is the worst.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
User avatar
mtnkub
Posts: 492
Joined: 8/7/2009
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 129 4 4
Trip Reports (5)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by mtnkub »

1. Huron for the best views and bang for the buck.
2. Holy Cross for being a pretty cool mountain.
Honorable mentioning: Elbert for being the state high point and Massive for being massive (and for Massive Mania).
Disclaimer: I have not done the Ellingwood Ridge on La Plata yet; and was in the fog on the standard route.
User avatar
madmattd
Posts: 406
Joined: 12/2/2017
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 129 7
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by madmattd »

MaryinColorado wrote: ↑Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:04 pm 15. Holy Cross TBD and planning on doing it Halo up, standard down. Will I regret? Possibly. But it looks like it stands a chance at being the most beautiful of all.
DO IT! Completely worth it if you are up to the extra miles of talus-hopping. If you are a very early riser, get up to the shelter for sunrise, especially in early summer when the cross is still snowed in. The views are pretty awesome!

Halo is on my to-repeat list some day. Almost did last month.
User avatar
interloper
Posts: 78
Joined: 4/28/2017
14ers: 39 
13ers: 134
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Ranking the Sawatch

Post by interloper »

madmattd wrote: ↑Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:11 pm
MaryinColorado wrote: ↑Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:04 pm 15. Holy Cross TBD and planning on doing it Halo up, standard down. Will I regret? Possibly. But it looks like it stands a chance at being the most beautiful of all.
DO IT! Completely worth it if you are up to the extra miles of talus-hopping. If you are a very early riser, get up to the shelter for sunrise, especially in early summer when the cross is still snowed in. The views are pretty awesome!
Seconded. I did this exact route when I summited Holy Cross. It's stunning, but the talus-hopping section is a real slog and the final climb up Half Moon Pass at the end of the day makes you really question your choices. Worth the extra effort, for sure, though. At the time it was the most strenuous day hike I had ever done, so it felt extra satisfying to have completed it. If you're up for the challenge, do it!
"May the good lord shine a light on you, warm like the evening sun." - Jagger-Richards, 1972