Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
KentonB
Posts: 735
Joined: 5/13/2007
14ers: 58 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by KentonB »

glenmiz wrote:...14 hours to get from 0000 yesterday to 2pm...
Glenmiz, Was 2 pm the actual finish time yesterday? The inReach device shows Andrew reached the Quandary parking lot at 1:49:34 pm (see the first capture below). He then "officially" sent out the ping that he finished 12 seconds later at 1:49:46 pm. Since inReach is based on GPS (very precise timing signal), I'm inclined to use "1:49 pm" as the official stop time... Unless there's some other explanation (I wasn't there)?

Sorry, I'm a left-brained numbers geek! :-D
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pbakwin
Posts: 969
Joined: 6/10/2006
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by pbakwin »

That’s what I saw too, which makes it 84d13h57m. Keeps getting harder for the next guy!
JosephG
Posts: 371
Joined: 9/27/2008
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 192
Trip Reports (9)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by JosephG »

To throw in with everybody else: very impressive undertaking, Andrew. Your Elks link-up alone is mind-boggling, and a well-earned ante up from your Snolans. Low snow or no (and I fall into the "this is an incidental benefit" camp), you made this accomplishment your own. Each and every finisher has had so very many obstacles to tackle that each undertaking winds up being uniquely challenging in its own right to its own aspirant. What is impressive, apart from the physical accomplishment, is the grit and determination (and support) it takes. I think I can safely say we all appreciated your transparency and candor. Congrats again.
User avatar
glenmiz
Posts: 1206
Joined: 8/30/2013
14ers: 58 
13ers: 124 1 3
Trip Reports (4)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by glenmiz »

KentonB wrote:
glenmiz wrote:...14 hours to get from 0000 yesterday to 2pm...
Glenmiz, Was 2 pm the actual finish time yesterday? The inReach device shows Andrew reached the Quandary parking lot at 1:49:34 pm (see the first capture below). He then "officially" sent out the ping that he finished 12 seconds later at 1:49:46 pm. Since inReach is based on GPS (very precise timing signal), I'm inclined to use "1:49 pm" as the official stop time... Unless there's some other explanation (I wasn't there)?

Sorry, I'm a left-brained numbers geek! :-D
Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG
Me too. My phone shows I was in the parking lot at 1:43 and there were several others there before me. I don't think it was 17 minutes before Andrew and Andrea arrived so that makes sense. Not surprising the button wasn't pushed quickly as cookies, champagne, high-fives, and hugs were a priority.

I checked his track for the time when the clocks moved forward; that happened a day after he made it back to the car at Snowmass Creek and the Delorme was turned off. Would have been interesting to see how Delorme would have treated the times if it was activated at the time.

It's been fun watching this and I really enjoyed being there at the end.
Aim high to end high
User avatar
AndYouSeeMe
Posts: 451
Joined: 7/17/2008
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 251 25
Trip Reports (23)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

Not much more to say than congratulations, Andrew! You are a badass to say the least.
User avatar
Eli Boardman
Posts: 783
Joined: 6/23/2016
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Eli Boardman »

Two things that I think are under-emphasized, and even more impressive than the accomplishment by itself:

1. Andrew had never done any winter 14ers before this attempt.
2. Andrew simultaneously holds the summer and winter 14ers speed records.

Amazing.
User avatar
DArcyS
Posts: 970
Joined: 5/11/2007
14ers: 58 
13ers: 553
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by DArcyS »

The next time my legs feel a little tired on a hill, I'll think of your efforts for motivation and what tired really means. Congrats on completing a great project.
User avatar
nsaladin
Posts: 763
Joined: 11/20/2013
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by nsaladin »

Eli Boardman wrote:Two things that I think are under-emphasized, and even more impressive than the accomplishment by itself:

1. Andrew had never done any winter 14ers before this attempt.
2. Andrew simultaneously holds the summer and winter 14ers speed records.

Amazing.
This!
User avatar
dannyg23
Posts: 257
Joined: 1/31/2011
14ers: 56  49 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by dannyg23 »

Might seem like small potatoes but he’s one of the first people to do all four ‘great traverses’ in winter in any amount of time. I’m not sure how many, but I think Mike was potentially first and that was somewhat recently.
User avatar
Vimana Aircraft
Posts: 86
Joined: 6/19/2017
14ers: 38  20 
13ers: 41 6
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Vimana Aircraft »

So much respect :-)!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
Joe W
Posts: 42
Joined: 3/16/2008
14ers: 58  35  57 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Joe W »

Congratulations Andrew !!!!
User avatar
TakeMeToYourSummit
Posts: 379
Joined: 9/9/2012
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 323 26 3
Trip Reports (8)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

I'm so very stoked to see you reach this goal Andrew! We all have goals, and watching others reach theirs, in turn helps us reach our own. This has been my favorite thread to follow in quite some time! By design or chance (weather, avy risk, etc...) that you finished your last technical route on the 14th of the month? The Elks look downright "winterlike" at the moment (naysayers be damned!) - Pyramid from Baldy on March 17th:
GEDV0043.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!