Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
andrewhamilton
Posts: 538
Joined: 9/19/2011
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 132
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by andrewhamilton »

To answer a couple questions from above, Andrea and I originally wanted to do redcloud, sunshine, and handies in one day so we thought using silver creek/grizzly gulch made the most sense instead of standard sunshine winter route. However breaking trail was slow going so there was no chance of that. The winter route for sunshine likely would have been a much better choice!

On San Luis I basically had to choose between miles of snowshoeing on the north facing aspect heading to San Luis, or the extremely windy ridgeline. I'll do about anything to avoid the snowshoeing so went with the high winds. It was way more spicy than I expected! Leave it to me to find a way to make San Luis scary!
TomPierce
Posts: 2759
Joined: 11/21/2007
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by TomPierce »

Andrew,
Just curious (and apologies if you mentioned this way up the thread...), did you consider using AT skis for your effort? Some skiers think they work best in all conditions, but personally I think they're a tool that work best in many/most applications, but not all, e.g. steep lines through tight trees, etc. But for multi-mile slogging, an AT mountaineering set-up with skins is hard to beat. Much better flotation, etc.

Good luck in your journey, be safe.

-Tom
andrewhamilton
Posts: 538
Joined: 9/19/2011
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 132
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by andrewhamilton »

TomPierce wrote:Andrew,
did you consider using AT skis for your effort? Some skiers think they work best in all conditions.
-Tom
Well, the truth is that it really isnt an option for me because I don't own AT skis, and from what I hear a good set up would be a little too expensive right now. It would be fun to be able to try though. Unfortunately, I do own several old pairs of snowshoes ](*,)

I do have some old backcountry skis and used to be a decent tele skier but I don't know so far it doesn't seem like they would have been that great. Maybe if there was a long approach with good snow it would make sense.
Sean Nunn
Posts: 857
Joined: 7/29/2013
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Sean Nunn »

andrewhamilton wrote: It was way more spicy than I expected! Leave it to me to find a way to make San Luis scary!
Only a pro like you could pull that off Andrew.

Good luck on the rest of your quest.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
User avatar
lodgling
Posts: 552
Joined: 6/21/2005
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by lodgling »

andrewhamilton wrote:I do have some old backcountry skis and used to be a decent tele skier but I don't know so far it doesn't seem like they would have been that great. Maybe if there was a long approach with good snow it would make sense.
Do you have some tele boots? If you thought it would help I could probably hook you up with a loaner pair of light(ish)weight tele skis with a touring binding and skins for the remainder of the winter.
andrewhamilton
Posts: 538
Joined: 9/19/2011
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 132
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by andrewhamilton »

lodgling wrote: Do you have some tele boots? If you thought it would help I could probably hook you up with a loaner pair of light(ish)weight tele skis with a touring binding and skins for the remainder of the winter.
Hey that might be really nice! Thanks! Andrea has figured out a way for me to get out tomorrow to get in some more peaks, perhaps after that we could talk more about it?

Anyway I'm going to try to do the Blanca group tomorrow, I'll let you all know the latest conditions when I'm done! Don't think I will try the traverse though it might be a bit scary with snow or ice on it...
User avatar
lodgling
Posts: 552
Joined: 6/21/2005
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by lodgling »

I sent you a pm. Good luck and safe travels tomorrow!
User avatar
andreasansone
Posts: 360
Joined: 4/21/2014
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 124
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by andreasansone »

He’s in the Sangres today, hopefully finishing up Little Bear Blanca and Ellingwood. He said there’s lots of snow and it’s slow going!
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
Sean Nunn
Posts: 857
Joined: 7/29/2013
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Sean Nunn »

Keep going Andrew. You've got this!
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
User avatar
Phill the Thrill
Posts: 1135
Joined: 6/20/2005
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (6)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Phill the Thrill »

asansone wrote:He’s in the Sangres today, hopefully finishing up Little Bear Blanca and Ellingwood. He said there’s lots of snow and it’s slow going!
Sounds like a long day! Good luck, Andrew!
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt."
User avatar
andreasansone
Posts: 360
Joined: 4/21/2014
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 124
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by andreasansone »

He sure is going to have a lot to say about that Little Bear Blanca traverse ...
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
User avatar
Phill the Thrill
Posts: 1135
Joined: 6/20/2005
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (6)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Phill the Thrill »

asansone wrote:He sure is going to have a lot to say about that Little Bear Blanca traverse ...
Wow, changed his mind about the traverse. Looks like he's about 1/2 way across, so he should arrive at the Blanca summit just before sundown.
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt."