Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
TallGrass
Posts: 2328
Joined: 6/29/2012
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by TallGrass »

dannyg23 wrote:
TallGrass wrote:How's that military vet skier fare? Some might have been skied outside calendar winter, but he's got to be up there.
Huh? The arc of this conversation is always the same. Somebody ...
Ok, here's the one I was thinking of, but I can't find a list of what he did when:

"May 21 ... the culmination of an 138-day effort to skin up and snowboard down all 54 in the state" -- OutsideOnline.com

"Jesperson shattered the previous world record for summiting and skiing all of Colorado's 14ers by six months." -- KDVR.com

Which reads weird when DP says "[JK] finishes skiing on all the state’s fourteeners in less than seven months" -- Denver Post

As far as 14ers (there's a CA 14ers list too), there's this which list Andrew Hamilton:
http://vitaelist.com/2017/10/24/summit- ... ado-14ers/
User avatar
JaredJohnson
Posts: 417
Joined: 8/27/2014
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by JaredJohnson »

Andrew, I again wish you safe and fun adventures! If you're already familiar with the aforementioned links, awesome; if not I encourage you to check them out :)
Eli Boardman wrote:Someone pursuing all of the winter 14ers, especially in one season, is certainly very aware of CAIC. On the other hand, I noticed that you (Jared) <likely> haven't done any winter 14ers.
Harsh bro!

Groups with a mix of experienced and novice mountaineers often make poor avy decisions because the novices assume the experts know what they're doing and wind up keeping their mouths shut about safety. A clearly accomplished guy has stated his clearly respectable goals in an area that he says he hasn't got a ton of experience in. We're on the internet and not in the mountains right now, but you (Eli) seem to be saying "this guy has set speed records, we should assume he knows everything he needs to know about winter safety and keep our mouth shut about it, especially if you don't have any winter 14er summits on your checklist". If you bring that mindset with you into the mountains it will have a negative impact on the safety of your group!

My checklist is accurate, I haven't bagged a single 14er in winter. I have begun to gather winter and snow experience and aspire to much more. Too bad there's no checkbox for "gained valuable experience and had a wonderful time on this mountain, didn't summit". I have to drive 8 hours and take vacation time to get to the mountains, and since I'm fat and slow I won't always hit the summit checkbox. Notable among my accomplishments though:

1. I have decided when and where to go in the mountains in the winter based on CAIC and mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org -- so I can say from experience that the link I provided to CAIC is very useful to anyone.

2. I have canceled trips to the mountains based on information on CAIC, again very useful.

3. I have taken an AIARE level 1 course like the ones in the link -- so I can say from experience that those classes are very useful and fun. They help you understand the information on CAIC and its implications, and some things to watch out for to avoid getting in over your head on the ground. An avy class isn't complete until you've gained much experience in avy terrain, as the instructors are quick to point out repeatedly. But it gives you a great lens for your experience and helps you avoid learning the wrong lessons from repeatedly surviving and/or summiting in spite of bad choices.

At a CMC climbing course our (awesome) instructor unclipped while demonstrating how climbers can forget to clip back in while setting up at a cliff edge. In the course of demonstrating he started pacing around with his back to the cliff edge, not realizing he had not clipped in. A lot of time went by, and he got closer and closer to the edge, before someone (not me..) finally got up the nerve to point this out to him. He laughed and clipped back in to our relief. It was a very instructive moment. Perhaps he secretly knew all along and was just teaching us to speak up :)
User avatar
Eli Boardman
Posts: 783
Joined: 6/23/2016
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Eli Boardman »

JaredJohnson wrote:...
You're right, I did overreact to your post. Sorry.
User avatar
JaredJohnson
Posts: 417
Joined: 8/27/2014
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by JaredJohnson »

Eli Boardman wrote:You're right, I did overreact to your post. Sorry.
Well then... cheers! You seem like a nice enough guy, I'd love to climb a mountain with you someday and chat about how we failed to have a flame war.
User avatar
Monster5
Posts: 1822
Joined: 8/7/2009
14ers: 58  37 
13ers: 293 37
Trip Reports (30)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Monster5 »

I'm fairly impressed by the San Luis route. It's no gimme. Boggy wrote it up here:

https://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14673
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
User avatar
mountain_stoke
Posts: 111
Joined: 10/13/2016
14ers: 58  4  58 
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by mountain_stoke »

Monster5 wrote:I'm fairly impressed by the San Luis route. It's no gimme. Boggy wrote it up here:

https://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14673
Yeah, that's a great route; I believe it is written up in the Roach 14ers book. It was actually my plan A for last winter (I thought I was so clever, since I hadn't seen the 14ers book yet nor had I found the trip report(s)) as I thought it would be a good way to go to avoid avy danger if there wasn't going to be a stable time to get it. I went there in Fall 2016 to check it out and had a great day on that traverse. Ended up getting a nice stable conditions window for San Luis last winter, so didn't end up doing it after all.
They say, "mountaineering is the art of suffering". I don't think so. If you are suffering, you haven't prepared well enough. I think that mountaineering is the art of managing risk and fear.
User avatar
Stratosfearsome
Posts: 296
Joined: 6/27/2015
14ers: 58  3  35 
13ers: 251 12 4
Trip Reports (11)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Any update on Andrew's progress out there?
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
User avatar
nsaladin
Posts: 763
Joined: 11/20/2013
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by nsaladin »

Stratosfearsome wrote:Any update on Andrew's progress out there?
http://share.garmin.com/14ers
User avatar
Tornadoman
Posts: 1449
Joined: 7/30/2007
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 299 41
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Tornadoman »

Stratosfearsome wrote:Any update on Andrew's progress out there?
I have been following along and believe he is at 16 peaks... This is what I am aware of (not in order).

Chicago Basin (Eolus, N. Eolus, Sunlight, Windom)
Crestone 5 (Needle, Peak, KC, Challenger, Humboldt)
Sneffels
Uncompahgre & Wetterhorn
Redcloud/Sunshine
Handies
San Luis
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
User avatar
Stratosfearsome
Posts: 296
Joined: 6/27/2015
14ers: 58  3  35 
13ers: 251 12 4
Trip Reports (11)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Tornadoman wrote:
Stratosfearsome wrote:Any update on Andrew's progress out there?
I have been following along and believe he is at 16 peaks... This is what I am aware of (not in order).

Chicago Basin (Eolus, N. Eolus, Sunlight, Windom)
Crestone 5 (Needle, Peak, KC, Challenger, Humboldt)
Sneffels
Uncompahgre & Wetterhorn
Redcloud/Sunshine
Handies
San Luis
Awesome! Thank you.
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
User avatar
jladderud
Posts: 105
Joined: 5/4/2014
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by jladderud »

mountain_stoke wrote:
Monster5 wrote:I'm fairly impressed by the San Luis route. It's no gimme. Boggy wrote it up here:

https://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14673
Yeah, that's a great route; I believe it is written up in the Roach 14ers book. It was actually my plan A for last winter (I thought I was so clever, since I hadn't seen the 14ers book yet nor had I found the trip report(s)) as I thought it would be a good way to go to avoid avy danger if there wasn't going to be a stable time to get it. I went there in Fall 2016 to check it out and had a great day on that traverse. Ended up getting a nice stable conditions window for San Luis last winter, so didn't end up doing it after all.
+1 for enjoying that route. I did it in summer conditions in September, so it's not apples to apples by any stretch. But there are some fun scrambles to be had on that traverse!
andrewhamilton
Posts: 538
Joined: 9/19/2011
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 132
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hey everyone! Well I have to stay I'm pretty sick of breaking trail with snowshoes. Andrea and I decided that whoever coined the term "soulcrushing" must have been on snowshoes!

On the positive side of things for me my injury seems to have held out and I'm feeling pretty confident I can continue going after more peaks. On the negative side I was thinking about the math and it is pretty bleak. I figured I needed about 27 successful climbing days to finish up, but I only have 24 days to work with. Andrea is going to try to help me get a few extra days, so I'm going to give it my best, and I have a couple of surprises I'm hoping to pull off to save some time :)

I'm currently on a week off but next week I'll hit the mountains hard again. Maybe I can sneak in an extra day this week. I have some cool pics to share and will try to put out some trip reports. Currently I'm at 16 peaks so far, which is a little behind where I'd like to be.