Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
Posts: 3315
Joined: 11/18/2007
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 397 13
Trip Reports (59)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by d_baker »

ezabielski wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if his list is actually a few years old.
March 2014. (just hover over a user's calendar icon on their checklist and it tells you their last update)

Good luck Andrew!
User avatar
Eli Boardman
Posts: 783
Joined: 6/23/2016
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Eli Boardman »

ezabielski wrote:
Eli Boardman wrote: Not trying to derail the thread, but since you asked, I guess I thought that entering some 14ers on your checklist but not all would be odd. I understand that plenty of people don't use their checklist at all, but entering a few and leaving out any climbed in winter seems unlikely to me, especially since he also seems to be using the icons (i.e. "gained 3k" or "hiked solo").
Andrew's checklist is not current. For one, he's climbed all the 14ers at least 5 times. Most of his checklist shows 4 times. On top of those 5 completions, I think he's done the Nolans peaks 3 times each (one Nolans 14 over the time limit, one Nolans completion, and one Holy Nolans completion in the opposite direction). Who knows how many one off completions he's done outside of these projects. I wouldn't be surprised if his list is actually a few years old.
No, you've interpreted my post / discussion completely out of context--I wasn't talking about Andrew's checklist. SkaredShtles and I were referencing JaredJohnson's checklist, as you will see if you go back to my original post on page 1. Now let's try to go back to the original topic of wishing Andrew well on his journey.
User avatar
andreasansone
Posts: 360
Joined: 4/21/2014
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 124
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by andreasansone »

Eli Boardman wrote:
On topic, does anyone know if Andrew is more likely to be pursuing this on snowshoes entirely or including some skiing?
He’s using snow shoes, no skis. Btw, Sneffels was a hard day for him today! Lots of snow, used his snowshoes all the way to 14,000. He said noones been there. Maybe Wilson group tomorrow, still trying to figure that out
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
andrewhamilton
Posts: 538
Joined: 9/19/2011
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 132
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hi! Well as Andrea mentioned Sneffels was tough today! I was still thinking not much snow in San Juans then wow! There was a ton of fresh snow and it didn't provide much floatation at all. It was a real slog.

I'm a little concerned about that tendonitis injury in my foot. It didn't bother me bad during the day but now in my car it is hurting again. I'll see how the next couple of days go but may have to put this off for another year if it won't get better.

Anyway the plan was El Diente and Mt. Wilson tomorrow. With all this snow there is zero thought of doing all 3. I'm just trying to figure out where to start from, I guess the road to kilpacker is closed so that could add something like an extra 10 miles round trip on the kilpacker approach!!! Yikes!

Edit: ok actually I'm a bit worried about my injury with an extra 10 miles to get to kilpacker if it is anything like the fresh snow on Sneffels. So I'm going to try my luck in lake city tomorrow instead...

Also my checklist is totally out of date. I've
Climbed all the 14ers except culebra and San Luis and probably a couple others at least 10 times...wish I had kept better track over the years! Just not any in winter until this year.
User avatar
bmcqueen
Posts: 662
Joined: 4/22/2013
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 377 18
Trip Reports (25)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by bmcqueen »

I hope the foot gets better Andrew and you can continue your attempt! It was fun doing the North Face of Longs with you in Dec even though it wasn’t yet calendar winter. Stay safe.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
User avatar
koeffling
Posts: 76
Joined: 9/11/2012
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 3
Trip Reports (10)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by koeffling »

Good luck Andrew! Wish a speedy recovery of the foot and ankle. Fun to watch the progress!
In all things of nature, there is something of the marvelous. -Aristotle

If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. -African Proverb
User avatar
andreasansone
Posts: 360
Joined: 4/21/2014
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 124
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by andreasansone »

He just summited Uncompahgre and now headed over to Wetterhorn. Hopefully he will be done by 10-midnight-ish. I’m headed down and we are hopefully going to do Handies (redcloud, sunshine ?) tomorrow/Friday - after so much back-and-forth, that’s the plan :-D Sangres are still pretty dry, those are next to finish up
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
User avatar
ezabielski
Posts: 738
Joined: 7/13/2012
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by ezabielski »

Eli Boardman wrote:
ezabielski wrote:
Eli Boardman wrote: Not trying to derail the thread, but since you asked, I guess I thought that entering some 14ers on your checklist but not all would be odd. I understand that plenty of people don't use their checklist at all, but entering a few and leaving out any climbed in winter seems unlikely to me, especially since he also seems to be using the icons (i.e. "gained 3k" or "hiked solo").
Andrew's checklist is not current. For one, he's climbed all the 14ers at least 5 times. Most of his checklist shows 4 times. On top of those 5 completions, I think he's done the Nolans peaks 3 times each (one Nolans 14 over the time limit, one Nolans completion, and one Holy Nolans completion in the opposite direction). Who knows how many one off completions he's done outside of these projects. I wouldn't be surprised if his list is actually a few years old.
No, you've interpreted my post / discussion completely out of context--I wasn't talking about Andrew's checklist. SkaredShtles and I were referencing JaredJohnson's checklist, as you will see if you go back to my original post on page 1. Now let's try to go back to the original topic of wishing Andrew well on his journey.
Got it. My apologies.

Good luck Andrew!
User avatar
wildlobo71
Posts: 2084
Joined: 4/1/2008
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by wildlobo71 »

andrewhamilton wrote:
Also my checklist is totally out of date. I've
Climbed all the 14ers except culebra and San Luis and probably a couple others at least 10 times...wish I had kept better track over the years! Just not any in winter until this year.
You are such a slacker.


Good luck Andrew!
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
User avatar
Phill the Thrill
Posts: 1135
Joined: 6/20/2005
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (6)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Phill the Thrill »

So, Andrew climbed Sneffels on Tuesday (11.5 hrs) , Uncompahgre/Wetterhorn yesterday (17.5 hrs) and he's already back out there this morning climbing Redcloud/Sunshine. All in winter conditions. Dang, that's impressive!

I'm a little surprised that he didn't take the winter route up the east ridge of Sunshine instead of walking up Cinnamon Pass Rd to the Silver Creek TH?
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt."
Sean Nunn
Posts: 857
Joined: 7/29/2013
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by Sean Nunn »

Just for reference, does anyone know how many people have ever completed all the 14ers in a calendar winter? Not counting Dr. J, of course. :P
It couldn't be that many.
Isn't Aaron Ralston the only person to have climbed them all solo in winter, period?
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
User avatar
dannyg23
Posts: 257
Joined: 1/31/2011
14ers: 56  49 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)
 

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by dannyg23 »

Sean Nunn wrote:Just for reference, does anyone know how many people have ever completed all the 14ers in a calendar winter? Not counting Dr. J, of course. :P
It couldn't be that many.
Isn't Aaron Ralston the only person to have climbed them all solo in winter, period?
I don't think anybody knows, truly. It is between 13 and 15 by my best guess. Yes, Aaron did them all solo and he's possibly the only person to have done that.