Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
JtheChemE
- Posts: 207
- Joined: 1/18/2015
- Trip Reports (4)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Have "fun" out there, stay safe, and hope for good snow!
-
mountain_stoke
- Posts: 111
- Joined: 10/13/2016
- 14ers: 58 4 58
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Woooo! Go get em! And be safe.
They say, "mountaineering is the art of suffering". I don't think so. If you are suffering, you haven't prepared well enough. I think that mountaineering is the art of managing risk and fear.
-
Monster5
- Posts: 1822
- Joined: 8/7/2009
- 14ers: 58 37
- 13ers: 293 37
- Trip Reports (30)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
If you don't set a new Holy Nolans record, I'll be disappointed.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
-
RyGuy
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 5/30/2011
- 14ers: 58 35
- 13ers: 250 4
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Good Luck Andrew! Been curious for a while how fast you could do the 14ers in winter.
Looking forward to seeing it happen!
-Ryan
Looking forward to seeing it happen!
-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
-
DoctorBreaks
- Posts: 581
- Joined: 6/3/2014
- 14ers: 33 5
- 13ers: 6 2
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Good luck!! Hope your tendon holds up.
Coincidentally, I developed tendinitis in my foot extensors (EHL & EDL) from a daytrip into Chi basin and back this September. It's a nasty injury to be sure.
Coincidentally, I developed tendinitis in my foot extensors (EHL & EDL) from a daytrip into Chi basin and back this September. It's a nasty injury to be sure.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
-Anatoli Boukreev
Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
-Anatoli Boukreev
Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
-
JQDivide
- Posts: 1388
- Joined: 6/25/2007
- 14ers: 58 33
- 13ers: 126 1
- Trip Reports (66)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Good luck.
Be safe.
Hope the injury holds out.
I think Will S would have set an amazing mark had he done it this winter instead of last. Would be interesting to see your stats compared to his given the low snow this year.
JQ
Be safe.
Hope the injury holds out.
I think Will S would have set an amazing mark had he done it this winter instead of last. Would be interesting to see your stats compared to his given the low snow this year.
JQ
-
Phill the Thrill
- Posts: 1135
- Joined: 6/20/2005
- 14ers: 58 8
- 13ers: 86
- Trip Reports (6)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Good luck, Andrew!
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt."
-
Phill the Thrill
- Posts: 1135
- Joined: 6/20/2005
- 14ers: 58 8
- 13ers: 86
- Trip Reports (6)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
The weather forecast looks pretty good today/tomorrow. I wonder if he has a shuttle to do the Wilson group in one push (Kilpacker -> Rock of Ages/Silver Pick), or if he'll break it up over two days?illusion7il wrote:Wish you the best of luck. Looks like Sneffels today. I would guess the Wilson group for tomorrow.
EDIT: ... or do them all from Kilpacker/Navajo Lake?
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt."
-
Bombay2Boulder
- Posts: 586
- Joined: 1/19/2015
- 14ers: 56 3
- 13ers: 269 1
- Trip Reports (4)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Good luck and have fun!
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Not trying to derail the thread, but since you asked, I guess I thought that entering some 14ers on your checklist but not all would be odd. I understand that plenty of people don't use their checklist at all, but entering a few and leaving out any climbed in winter seems unlikely to me, especially since he also seems to be using the icons (i.e. "gained 3k" or "hiked solo").SkaredShtles wrote:How do you know this?Eli Boardman wrote:<snip>
Someone pursuing all of the winter 14ers, especially in one season, is certainly very aware of CAIC. On the other hand, I noticed that you haven't done any winter 14ers. I heard once that "the less you know, the more you think you know."
On topic, does anyone know if Andrew is more likely to be pursuing this on snowshoes entirely or including some skiing?
-
ezabielski
- Posts: 738
- Joined: 7/13/2012
- 13ers: 8
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Andrew's checklist is not current. For one, he's climbed all the 14ers at least 5 times. Most of his checklist shows 4 times. On top of those 5 completions, I think he's done the Nolans peaks 3 times each (one Nolans 14 over the time limit, one Nolans completion, and one Holy Nolans completion in the opposite direction). Who knows how many one off completions he's done outside of these projects. I wouldn't be surprised if his list is actually a few years old.Eli Boardman wrote: Not trying to derail the thread, but since you asked, I guess I thought that entering some 14ers on your checklist but not all would be odd. I understand that plenty of people don't use their checklist at all, but entering a few and leaving out any climbed in winter seems unlikely to me, especially since he also seems to be using the icons (i.e. "gained 3k" or "hiked solo").
