2 (0=Paved, 6=Very Difficult 4WD)
Rough 2WD dirt to the TH. NOTE: There are two stream crossings along the road which may be difficult for 2WD vehicles in early summer or after heavy rainfall. Low-clearance vehicles not recommended.
NOTE: Before reaching the trailhead, the dirt road crosses Pauline and Nutras Creeks. There are smooth, cement slabs to make the crossings easier but you will still need a good-clearance vehicle.
The directions shown here assume you are coming from the north. If you are coming from the San Luis Valley area, drive north on Colorado 114 to Dome Lakes, turn left onto the 15GG road and follow the directions from Dome Lake, below:
- Take U.S. 50 to Colorado 114 which is 3.5 miles west of Parlin and just east Gunnison. It is approximately 47 miles to the trailhead from this intersection.
- Turn south onto Colorado 114.
- Drive 20 miles and turn right onto the NN14 road.
- Now on dirt, drive 6.8 miles to Dome Lakes and turn right onto the 15GG dirt road (also known as FR 794 when you reach National Forest).
- Drive 4 miles to reach a junction and bear right onto the 14DD road (FR 794).
- Continue 12 miles on 14DD to reach a signed junction.
- Follow the sign for the Stewart Creek trailhead by continuing straight on FR 794.
- Drive 4.3 miles to the trailhead. There is parking for a few cars next to the trailhead and additional parking 1/4 mile down the road at the Eddiesville trailhead, which now has an outhouse.
Closed far away from the TH.