Ask Gerry (Roach)
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
mtree
- Posts: 1718
- Joined: 6/16/2010
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Ask Gerry (Roach)
Sometimes, no matter how much you try to convey a meaning or allegory, it doesn't resonate. The reference Surfer Girl is not in the mountains is one of them (to me, anyway). Unless it means actually seeing a stereotypical surfer girl on the summit. Which I'm sure someone has managed to replicate.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
-
Dave B
- Posts: 2492
- Joined: 6/14/2010
- Trip Reports (9)
Re: Ask Gerry (Roach)
Eight days later and I've really enjoyed reading through Gerry's responses in this thread. Thanks for setting this up, OP.
-
BillMiddlebrook
- Site Administrator
- Posts: 6781
- Joined: 7/25/2004
- 14ers: 58 47 19
- 13ers: 174 45 37
- Trip Reports (5)
Re: Ask Gerry (Roach)
Unknown. I did ask the OP to update the topic to include his name and a bit more info so people felt more confident this wasn't spam, but he has yet to do that. So, we're still not sure this is something Gerry will ever see.
Fascism, xenophobia, racism, and ignorance are not inevitable—they are choices. And so are compassion, understanding, and justice. Educate yourself and choose better.
-
Kiefer
- Posts: 1917
- Joined: 5/10/2008
- 14ers: 58 43
- 13ers: 364 24
- Trip Reports (30)
Re: Ask Gerry (Roach)
LOL. I'd completely forgotten about that until you mentioned it, Mike. Talk about your surreal, WTF moments!!Chicago Transplant wrote: ↑Wed Jan 21, 2026 3:23 pm I agree, would love to hear more about Moccasin Man! We had our own Moccasin Man experience on Coffeepot years ago, Kiefer might remember this one?
So we're on Coffeepot after Teakettle and this guy scrambles up to the summit and asks if he can take a picture holding our rope because his friend isn't going to believe him that he climbed it. Then says something like he just did Jagged yesterday (which would be a heck of long day if he's on Coffeepot today), then he goes to descend and we're like "whoa whoa whoa, that's not how you came up its a vertical cliff" and he looks over it and goes "that would have been bad", scrambles down the chimney and starts scree surfing off down the slopes.![]()
That was a good day.
BillMiddlebrook wrote: ↑Thu Jan 22, 2026 8:41 am Unknown. I did ask the OP to update the topic to include his name and a bit more info so people felt more confident this wasn't spam, but he has yet to do that. So, we're still not sure this is something Gerry will ever see.
Wasn't going to say anything, but if people REALLY want to know the answers to some of these questions (and that the OP seems to be MIA), we'll be seeing him and Jennifer next week. I can certainly ask him some of these questions.
I can almost guarantee he won't see any of this (forum/thread).
Last edited by Kiefer on Thu Jan 22, 2026 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Ask Gerry (Roach)
can i get my pitchfork out now?
Re: Ask Gerry (Roach)
thanks KeiferKiefer wrote: ↑Thu Jan 22, 2026 9:44 amLOL. I'd completely forgotten about that until you mentioned it, Mike. Talk about your surreal, WTF moments!!Chicago Transplant wrote: ↑Wed Jan 21, 2026 3:23 pm I agree, would love to hear more about Moccasin Man! We had our own Moccasin Man experience on Coffeepot years ago, Kiefer might remember this one?
So we're on Coffeepot after Teakettle and this guy scrambles up to the summit and asks if he can take a picture holding our rope because his friend isn't going to believe him that he climbed it. Then says something like he just did Jagged yesterday (which would be a heck of long day if he's on Coffeepot today), then he goes to descend and we're like "whoa whoa whoa, that's not how you came up its a vertical cliff" and he looks over it and goes "that would have been bad", scrambles down the chimney and starts scree surfing off down the slopes.![]()
That was a good day.![]()
BillMiddlebrook wrote: ↑Thu Jan 22, 2026 8:41 am Unknown. I did ask the OP to update the topic to include his name and a bit more info so people felt more confident this wasn't spam, but he has yet to do that. So, we're still not sure this is something Gerry will ever see.
Wasn't going to say anything, but if people REALLY want to know the answers to some of these questions (and that the OP seems to be MIA), we're having him and Jennifer over for dinner next week. I can certainly ask him some of these questions.
I can almost guarantee he won't see any of this (forum/thread).
1. navigation | 2. illumination | 3. sun protection | 4. first aid | 5. shelter | 6. insulation | 7. fire | 8. repair | 9. water | 10. food | 11. hot sauce
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: Ask Gerry (Roach)
The person who.posted it hasn't even visited this site since January 16 so maybe so.BillMiddlebrook wrote: ↑Thu Jan 22, 2026 8:41 am Unknown. I did ask the OP to update the topic to include his name and a bit more info so people felt more confident this wasn't spam, but he has yet to do that. So, we're still not sure this is something Gerry will ever see.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
-
cougar
- Posts: 1204
- Joined: 8/9/2007
- 14ers: 58 2
- 13ers: 150 2
- Trip Reports (10)
Re: Ask Gerry (Roach)
Thought this was about the new AI Gerry chat bot.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar
"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
