Iconic Colorado Routes
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
kaiman
- Posts: 1365
- Joined: 5/3/2006
- Trip Reports (10)
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
Not a 14er, but here is one of my favorite iconic Colorado climbs: Wham!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."
- Joe Stettner
"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."
- Andy Kirkpatrick
- Joe Stettner
"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."
- Andy Kirkpatrick
-
Tory Wells
- Posts: 1793
- Joined: 7/10/2007
- 14ers: 46
- 13ers: 24
- Trip Reports (9)
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
Why so defensive about your route selection? You are right and I was wrong to call it a cheat, but it's still not the Barr. I stand by my earlier statements though, taking Crags is the easy way up compared to the Barr. But taking the easy way up seems to be a common theme for many of the "Finishers" on this site, I've noticed. Doing a peak by it's harder/longer routes is a style I enjoy; I feel it is a better way to experience the mountain, to tackle it head on and not reduce the challenge.painless4u2 wrote:Yes, I disagree. Crags is 4300' elevation gain with 14 mile round trip at a higher Class rating than Barr. I would not consider that "cheating". Sorry you are "non-plussed" about that. Barr snobbery, perhaps?Tory Wells wrote:As a side note, I've always been non-plussed by the folks who tick Pikes off the 14er list without doing the Barr. Barr is a true test of your fitness--Crags is reducing a big sucker of a mountain to a mole hill. A cheat, IMO. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure plenty others will disagree.
SnowAlien: Yes, Barr is a simple class one and not comparable to the mountaineering routes. But the thread title is "Iconic Colorado Routes" and Barr fits that bill nicely, even if it is just walking/running. Railroad and the Y don't fit the criteria, IMO.
Kaiman: We're not talking about MTB routes here. But I'm sure biking the Barr would be no walk in the park either. As a side note, road biking the Pikes Peak Highway from Manitou Springs is the hardest bike ride I've ever done--and I've done some hard ones. Mt Evans is easy by comparison because it is just not as steep.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
-
12ersRule
- Posts: 2315
- Joined: 6/18/2007
- 14ers: 58
- 13ers: 160
- Trip Reports (4)
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
painless4u2 wrote:Sorry you are "non-plussed" about that. Barr snobbery, perhaps?Tory Wells wrote: non-plussed by the folks who tick Pikes off the 14er list without doing the Barr. Barr is a true test of your fitness
Why don't you guys say 'minused' instead of non-plussed. minus = !plus. It's more direct.
Also, no mountain with a road on top should even be in a discussion of Iconic Colorado routes. Although, I do I want to try road riding to the top sometime.
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
Anyone that has stood on the top of all 58 14ers did not take the easy way out. There is no easy route on peaks like Capitol and Little Bear. Are you are saying you've never taken a standard route?Tory Wells wrote:But taking the easy way up seems to be a common theme for many of the "Finishers" on this site, I've noticed.
That's your opinion but doesn't mean you should look down on people that use standard routes.Tory Wells wrote:Doing a peak by it's harder/longer routes is a style I enjoy; I feel it is a better way to experience the mountain, to tackle it head on and not reduce the challenge.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
But if you read the original question was "what do you consider the top ten iconic Colorado mountaineering routes?"
Calling the Barr route a mountaineering route is like calling something like something else that really isn't like the something else you are comparing the something to.
Calling the Barr route a mountaineering route is like calling something like something else that really isn't like the something else you are comparing the something to.
-
painless4u2
- Posts: 1308
- Joined: 7/14/2010
- 14ers: 58
- Trip Reports (8)
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
Looks like someone is making generalized assumptions they know nothing about.Tory Wells wrote:But taking the easy way up seems to be a common theme for many of the "Finishers" on this site, I've noticed. Doing a peak by it's harder/longer routes is a style I enjoy; I feel it is a better way to experience the mountain, to tackle it head on and not reduce the challenge.
Let's see, I've done these "easy" routes on my way to being a "finisher". Have you?
Blanca via Gash/Winchell Lakes
SW Ridge Little Bear
Keplinger's Couloir Longs
Tour de Massive
Tour de Abyss
Capital from Snowmass/Moon Lakes
First (defined) ascent of C2 Ellingwood Point/Zapata Lake
and there are others...
Bad decisions often make good stories.
IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
-
Monster5
- Posts: 1822
- Joined: 8/7/2009
- 14ers: 58 37
- 13ers: 293 37
- Trip Reports (30)
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
I didn't expect this topic to engender a Crags vs Barr debate.
Can we uhh.. skip the unrelated debates? Popular, but perhaps not iconic mountaineering routes on the 14ers might include:
G and T: Kelso in winter, Dead Dog
Evans: Snave
Longs: Kieners, Notch, Cables, Keplinger and Trough Direct, GG traverse, Keyhole Ridge. And a big ETC.
Pikes: Hero's to the Y
Quandary: Inwood, perhaps W ridge in winter
Democrat's N Ridge in winter
Cross Couloir to Halo Ridge
Missouri's coulies?
Ellingwood Ridge with snow
Conundrum Couly
Bell Cord to Bells Traverse
N Maroon via the Gunsight (snow) or N face
Pyramid via the NW Ridge (snow), Pyramidal, or Megamidal
Capitol standard
Snowmass via S or standard
El D N Buttress to MW traverse.
MW via the Boxcar(?) couly
El D Luttrell Line
Sneffles via the Snake and N Buttresss
Crestone Traverse
Ellingwood Arete
Crestone N couly or pillar
Either Crestone standard route as a snow climb
Kit Carson N Ridge or one of the coulies
LB Blanca via Hourglass
Gash Ridge (heck, not popular but it is named...)
Other popular climbs (naturally, there's a geographic bias to the Front Range):
Savage Couloir
Y-Couloirs, Ypsilon
Blitzen
Wham Ridge
Jagged, Teakettle (best with snow), Dallas
Dragontail, Dreamweaver, Martha
Skywalker to Arapaho Trav
Ice Lakes Basin, not sure which route to include but the area is a pretty popular mountaineering spot
The Grand Traverse in the Gore. This seems to be the most popular of the Gore traverses
Bancroft E Ridge
Neva N Ridge or Coulies
Arkansas N Couly, though I feel this one has actually decreased in popularity in recent years
Sharkstooth NE Ridge
Lizardhead
James via one of the Star coulies
That's a list of roughly 55, depending on how you count them up. I'm around 90-95%. Anybody done near all of those? Any other additions?
Can we uhh.. skip the unrelated debates? Popular, but perhaps not iconic mountaineering routes on the 14ers might include:
G and T: Kelso in winter, Dead Dog
Evans: Snave
Longs: Kieners, Notch, Cables, Keplinger and Trough Direct, GG traverse, Keyhole Ridge. And a big ETC.
Pikes: Hero's to the Y
Quandary: Inwood, perhaps W ridge in winter
Democrat's N Ridge in winter
Cross Couloir to Halo Ridge
Missouri's coulies?
Ellingwood Ridge with snow
Conundrum Couly
Bell Cord to Bells Traverse
N Maroon via the Gunsight (snow) or N face
Pyramid via the NW Ridge (snow), Pyramidal, or Megamidal
Capitol standard
Snowmass via S or standard
El D N Buttress to MW traverse.
MW via the Boxcar(?) couly
El D Luttrell Line
Sneffles via the Snake and N Buttresss
Crestone Traverse
Ellingwood Arete
Crestone N couly or pillar
Either Crestone standard route as a snow climb
Kit Carson N Ridge or one of the coulies
LB Blanca via Hourglass
Gash Ridge (heck, not popular but it is named...)
Other popular climbs (naturally, there's a geographic bias to the Front Range):
Savage Couloir
Y-Couloirs, Ypsilon
Blitzen
Wham Ridge
Jagged, Teakettle (best with snow), Dallas
Dragontail, Dreamweaver, Martha
Skywalker to Arapaho Trav
Ice Lakes Basin, not sure which route to include but the area is a pretty popular mountaineering spot
The Grand Traverse in the Gore. This seems to be the most popular of the Gore traverses
Bancroft E Ridge
Neva N Ridge or Coulies
Arkansas N Couly, though I feel this one has actually decreased in popularity in recent years
Sharkstooth NE Ridge
Lizardhead
James via one of the Star coulies
That's a list of roughly 55, depending on how you count them up. I'm around 90-95%. Anybody done near all of those? Any other additions?
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
-
Hungry Jack
- Posts: 940
- Joined: 7/18/2008
- 14ers: 14
- 13ers: 8
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
When I first saw the thread title on my tiny little iPhone 5 display, I thought it said "Ironic."
I immediately thought of Quandary Peak and the very gentle eastern slope, which presents anything but a quandary for almost any hiker.
And perhaps there is some irony that Mt. Lincoln is probably most frequently summited by first summiting Mt. Democrat.
I have nothing more to add. Have a nice day.
I immediately thought of Quandary Peak and the very gentle eastern slope, which presents anything but a quandary for almost any hiker.
And perhaps there is some irony that Mt. Lincoln is probably most frequently summited by first summiting Mt. Democrat.
I have nothing more to add. Have a nice day.
please rotate your device
-
Tory Wells
- Posts: 1793
- Joined: 7/10/2007
- 14ers: 46
- 13ers: 24
- Trip Reports (9)
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
You're right, I missed the mountaineering part. By that criteria, Barr does not qualify.SchralpTheGnar wrote:But if you read the original question was "what do you consider the top ten iconic Colorado mountaineering routes?"
Calling the Barr route a mountaineering route is like calling something like something else that really isn't like the something else you are comparing the something to.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
-
ezabielski
- Posts: 738
- Joined: 7/13/2012
- 13ers: 8
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
The irony goes a bit deeper, according to the name history on this website: Mt. Democrat was named curing the Civil War in a political statement against President Lincoln.Hungry Jack wrote:
And perhaps there is some irony that Mt. Lincoln is probably most frequently summited by first summiting Mt. Democrat.
-
Hungry Jack
- Posts: 940
- Joined: 7/18/2008
- 14ers: 14
- 13ers: 8
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
Probably by the same interests that christened Mt. Sherman.ezabielski wrote:The irony goes a bit deeper, according to the name history on this website: Mt. Democrat was named curing the Civil War in a political statement against President Lincoln.Hungry Jack wrote:
And perhaps there is some irony that Mt. Lincoln is probably most frequently summited by first summiting Mt. Democrat.
Given Cameron's bridging of Democrat and Lincoln, "Bipartisan Summit" might be a more appropriate name.
please rotate your device
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: Iconic Colorado Routes
This one is pretty ironic too:Hungry Jack wrote:And perhaps there is some irony that Mt. Lincoln is probably most frequently summited by first summiting Mt. Democrat.
ezabielski wrote:The irony goes a bit deeper, according to the name history on this website: Mt. Democrat was named curing the Civil War in a political statement against President Lincoln.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
