Ball Pyramid has been climbed several times even though it is much harder to get to. It isn’t covered in jungle that is extremely difficult to fight through on flat ground, let alone vertical. I haven't been to Balls Pyramid so can't say, but the rock in French Polynesia is always slimy and anything not covered in jungle is covered in something that feels like snot and wouldn't take protection.cottonmountaineering wrote: ↑Thu Mar 26, 2026 6:51 pm balls pyramid has been climbed and fits the profile, i think people just arent motivated to do these dangerous pointless climbs, not so much "impossible"
I think most (or all?) climbers who have been there would consider the climbs to be impossible or close to it.
I'm not a great climber but the two peaks I have done there are by far the scariest I have done even though they had fixed lines. The fixed lines were put in there by driling deep stakes into the "rock" and fixing boating lines to them. I climbed the only two peaks considered to be "climbable" on Moorea (it was still terrifying) and wouldn't touch anything else.
I'd rather stand at the base of the Eiger Nordwand during an earthquake than to climb anything else there. Those peaks are cool to look at though. I can see how someone would want to attempt something like the North Face of Uncompahgre, the Hummingbird Ridge on Logan, the North Face of Jannu, or the Buena Suerte route on Jirishanca but I can't picture how anyone could climb the snot glazed needles of non-rock in French Polynesia. Other than possibly Tohivea none of those peaks have been climbed despite being minutes from an international airport. Any climbers who have tried were killed.
I have climbed a lot of similar looking peaks in places like the Caribbean or Madeira but I've never seen anything like the "rock" in French Polynesia. The "rock" (asduming you canget to it under the vegetation) feels like slimy mushrooms and is not any more solid.
Anyway, if there are any impossible peaks out there they would be in places like the South Pacific rather than Patagonia, Peru, Himalayas, Karakoram, or the polar regions.
