Random Encounters

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
susanjoypaul
Posts: 2148
Joined: 9/8/2006
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 95 6
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Random Encounters

Post by susanjoypaul »

Ran into these two novices hiking out after coming off Wilson Peak, September 7, 2008:

Gerry and Jennifer.jpg
And this dope on the Southwest Ridge of Ellingwood Point, July 12, 2009:

Darin.jpg

Can't remember any of their names, though... :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
d_baker
Posts: 3315
Joined: 11/18/2007
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 397 13
Trip Reports (59)
 

Re: Random Encounters

Post by d_baker »

susanjoypaul wrote: ↑Sun Oct 19, 2025 1:11 pm And this dope on the Southwest Ridge of Ellingwood Point, July 12, 2009:


Dickhead with attitude.jpg


Can't remember any of their names, though... :-D
That guy is an internet bully and a jackass.

Kitten wrote: ↑Sun Oct 19, 2025 12:28 pm
d_baker wrote: ↑Sun Oct 19, 2025 8:08 am I know I have left out a lot of other encounters, but those stick out to me and due to those encounters, I met a lot of great partners! Thanks to ALL OF YOU!
OMG Darin, you forgot our encounter on Mt Zirkel in 2017 (back when you were working in Steamboat Springs). But I only knew it was YOU after you left a message on my trip report :lol:, then I realized who we had met, a celebrity on the dot com!
I remember that! Was that the same day the blind guy was hiking up there too?

More recently, I ran into SenadR and Greenhouseguy in the Sawatch. I was hiking 13something out of Hancock and they split from the saddle and hiked Senawee.
I had hiked with Senad w/Steve G and BThom in October of 2010 up the E ridge of Humbolt.
User avatar
Wildernessjane
Posts: 637
Joined: 7/15/2012
14ers: 58  15  47 
13ers: 278 34 19
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Random Encounters

Post by Wildernessjane »

My husband and I had a chance encounter with Sibylle Hechtel on the Blanca group one time. She was on the first all-women’s team to ascend El Capitan. I also met Lynn Hill while climbing in Boulder Canyon last year. She was so nice and encouraging.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
User avatar
Jim Davies
Posts: 7745
Joined: 6/8/2006
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 68
Trip Reports (5)
 

Re: Random Encounters

Post by Jim Davies »

I met Steve Gladbach on Democrat once, with his then-little daughter and hyperactive dog (we started talking because I commented on how energetic the dog was, compared to us...).

Met Justin Simoni during his first self-powered 14er quest, at Rock of Ages saddle. A little earlier, a guy at the summit of Wilson Peak mentioned that his son-in-law had climbed all the 14ers four times, and I guessed that it was Andrew. :)

Once shared a summit with Robert Ormes' ashes (in 1995).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
User avatar
supranihilest
Posts: 968
Joined: 6/29/2015
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 752 2 8
Trip Reports (122)
 

Re: Random Encounters

Post by supranihilest »

I'm pretty sure I just ran into Elijah Gendron on Mount Peale in Utah like four hours ago.

Bro, was that you in the shorts? WTF, it was like climbing inside a jet engine up there.

Edit: false alarm. That wasn't Elijah, who was up there but we didn't run into each other. He also wore pants because he's smart, not like Shortsbro.
gore galore
Posts: 119
Joined: 6/1/2012
Trip Reports (43)
 

Re: Random Encounters

Post by gore galore »

Darin, I well remember those chance encounters from years ago. It was quite a surprise when topping out on East Partner that day and seeing five other people on a Gore Range summit since I hardly saw anyone back in the 1980s on Gore peaks.
User avatar
Kitten
Posts: 318
Joined: 7/5/2008
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (24)
 

Re: Random Encounters

Post by Kitten »

d_baker wrote: ↑Sun Oct 19, 2025 4:58 pm I remember that! Was that the same day the blind guy was hiking up there too?
Yes! Amazing feat, we talked to him too, very humbling experience...
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.