Favorite repeats

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
wmagnuson7
Posts: 29
Joined: 7/31/2022
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by wmagnuson7 »

I am only at 32/58, but of those I have done, here are the ones I am looking forward to doing again and ones I will absolutely never do again.

Favorites:
1. Pyramid Peak
2. Huron Peak
3. Wilson Peak

Least Favorite:
1. El Diente Peak/Mt. Wilson
2. Mt. Princeton
3. Mt. Antero

Cheers!
User avatar
Monte Meals
Posts: 576
Joined: 5/16/2011
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by Monte Meals »

All altitude acclimation hikes:

Quandary - previously at least a dozen times every year - no more since parking regularization
Sherman - about twice a month
Pikes from Craigs to treeline - about twice a week
User avatar
Wentzl
Posts: 1267
Joined: 7/29/2008
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (51)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by Wentzl »

Sneffels, because it is close to where I live and the SW Ridge is a classic.

Wetterhorn, because it is the most beautiful mountain in Colorado, and has some fun variations from standard hike.

Kit Carson, because the N Ridge.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY
User avatar
chicagostylehotdog
Posts: 225
Joined: 4/22/2015
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

MidsizeAl wrote: ↑Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:29 pm Hijacking this thread to tack on another question that my wife and I were recently discussing: Which peak would you NOT want to repeat, and furthermore, if a friend who needed to add the peak to their list were to ask you to accompany them, which peak(s) would you decline the invitation on?
Wilson Traverse because enough mini-fridge size blocks broke below us that I never want to step foot on that route again.

Most of the Sawatch range. I like scrambling, and there was enough seemingly repetitive hikes in the Sawatch that I don't think I'd get much out of repeating any of them.
User avatar
MountainHiker
Posts: 2621
Joined: 5/17/2007
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by MountainHiker »

The closer (to Denver metro) easier access 14ers I repeat a lot because they are closer and easier access. They also tend to be shorter days which allows for not getting up as early and also good for shoulder season. Bierstadt and Quandary are the two that I have done the most and in every month. Again, because of easy access. Quandary will be mainly a shoulder season hike going forward because of the new parking reality. Even though I've done these routes so many times, with all the variables, they are never the same. I never get tired of the view or the whole body feeling of being up there.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
User avatar
mtree
Posts: 1718
Joined: 6/16/2010
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by mtree »

I agree with MountainHiker. Closer with easy access makes for repeat hikes. I use Bierstadt a ton! Bet I've been on that summit nearly 100 times! I also like Snitkau/Grizzly area and Sherman with nearby 13ers as my common repeats. They're also useful as conditioning hikes before the summer season gets going. Quandary was a favorite until the parking issues were implemented. Now I seldom bother.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 2184
Joined: 10/3/2012
14ers: 52  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by greenonion »

Wetterhorn and Unc, for their beautiful views and fond memories.
User avatar
CUaaron25
Posts: 270
Joined: 10/5/2007
14ers: 58  2  4 
13ers: 166 2 2
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by CUaaron25 »

Pyramid before the road got to be too much of a PITA. Now with kids, G&T any weekday before work.
User avatar
astrobassman
Posts: 248
Joined: 7/5/2006
14ers: 58 
13ers: 200 2
Trip Reports (7)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by astrobassman »

Nice thread. I tend to do repeats most of the time these days. Drive time is key to me now. I really enjoy G&T in the winter on skis .. Bakerville is 35-40 mins from my house. The road is the perfect grade to skin up and ski down. If feeling good go for Kelso ridge, but usually just skin up to 12 or 13k, hike to the tops, ski down before ski traffic starts. Been up there a few dozen times over the last few years and typically have the mountain to myself.
In summer, Blue Sky trail run from Echo lake via Chicago lakes is a great close workout. Also love Longs and the Arapahoes, exploring all the different routes during different seasons on these peaks.
Green mountain (Lakewood) and Mount Morrison I do ~100 a year and never get too tired of .. having these peaks out my door keep my fitness and sanity in check.
User avatar
Wildernessjane
Posts: 636
Joined: 7/15/2012
14ers: 58  15  47 
13ers: 278 34 19
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by Wildernessjane »

Longs Peak for the variety of snow and rock routes. I’ve done it a dozen times now but have only done the standard Keyhole Route three times.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Ryan987
Posts: 169
Joined: 8/7/2022
14ers: 45  4 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by Ryan987 »

+1 for Longs
User avatar
jeffmpls
Posts: 174
Joined: 7/26/2004
14ers: 58 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Favorite repeats

Post by jeffmpls »

Longs (18 times) for the variety, convenience from Fort Collins, and I always come away feeling like it was a full value day.