Congrats, Andrew! Heck of an accomplishment! Can't wait to hear you share your stories from this adventure and obviously I am really looking forward to your next one.
-Ryan
Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
RyGuy
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 5/30/2011
- 14ers: 58 35
- 13ers: 250 4
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
-
fahixson
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 9/11/2007
- 14ers: 58
- 13ers: 47
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Congrats Andrew! Wish I could have made it out there today and look forward to hearing you talk about the full winter trip at some point. Thank you for your enthusiasm, persistence, and humble attitude that can serve as inspiration for everyone from experienced mountaineers to those making their first steps on a trail, no matter what their individual goals might be.
-
greenonion
- Posts: 2184
- Joined: 10/3/2012
- 14ers: 52 1
- 13ers: 2
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Still unbelievable. Congrats and way to go, Andrew! It's been a heck of an adventure to follow. Thanks for making it ALL happen!
-
Beas
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 8/14/2012
- 14ers: 58 1
- 13ers: 11
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Andrew, it was great to see you on Quandary today. The pain and misery you endured this winter is astronomical. Congratulations on 59. Enjoy some well-earned rest and recovery time.
Zack from Little Bear
Zack from Little Bear
-
mountain_stoke
- Posts: 111
- Joined: 10/13/2016
- 14ers: 58 4 58
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Congratulations Andrew on this tremendous accomplishment. I enjoyed following along this winter as you pulled off some astonishing feats of endurance (elks? for one) that are highly inspiring. Your drive to push yourself beyond what most consider a desirable, or normal, or possible level of output is an awesome thing. Enjoy the rest-time before your prep for the centennials project, and welcome to the Frozen 14ers Club!
I am not trying to get this thread sidetracked - but, here are my two cents on the start and finish time discussion, having attempted this thing last year... I think that the clock should start when leaving the vehicle/train/helicopter/whatever at the first trailhead. The clock should stop upon arrival at the last trailhead. I believe this should be the winter standard because unlike summer, in a typical winter, MOST but not all trailheads start way below the 3000' rule and those hours or days spent trailbreaking to get to 11,xxx' should be accounted for in the total time. Same thing goes for descent to the trailhead.
I am not trying to get this thread sidetracked - but, here are my two cents on the start and finish time discussion, having attempted this thing last year... I think that the clock should start when leaving the vehicle/train/helicopter/whatever at the first trailhead. The clock should stop upon arrival at the last trailhead. I believe this should be the winter standard because unlike summer, in a typical winter, MOST but not all trailheads start way below the 3000' rule and those hours or days spent trailbreaking to get to 11,xxx' should be accounted for in the total time. Same thing goes for descent to the trailhead.
They say, "mountaineering is the art of suffering". I don't think so. If you are suffering, you haven't prepared well enough. I think that mountaineering is the art of managing risk and fear.
-
pbakwin
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 6/10/2006
- 14ers: 56
- 13ers: 64
- Trip Reports (19)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Sooo, I think it comes out to 84d13h57m ?
Way to go Andrew!
Who going to do them all in one calendar Spring???
Way to go Andrew!
Who going to do them all in one calendar Spring???
-
Wish I lived in CO
- Posts: 1090
- Joined: 2/8/2008
- 14ers: 58
- Trip Reports (11)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Unbelievable! Sounded like some of the days earlier on were not so pleasant, but glad you could finish and stayed safe!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Congrats Andrew, I really enjoyed following this winter 14er project....
Bill
Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er: 103 months.
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
congrats!
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
-
KS Jude
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 6/26/2013
- 14ers: 39 2
- 13ers: 6
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
What a motivational achievement. Congrats, Andrew!
"Verso l'alto" - Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
-
14erFred
- Posts: 1100
- Joined: 7/15/2009
- 14ers: 51
- 13ers: 1
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Congratulations on this extraordinary alpine achievement, Andrew!

"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
-
Tornadoman
- Posts: 1449
- Joined: 7/30/2007
- 14ers: 58 10
- 13ers: 299 41
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt
Congratulations on completing your quest on Quandary!
Rest up and I can't wait to follow your Centennial project this summer...
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
