First dog to attempt Everest

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

First dog to attempt Everest

Post by Scott P »

I just got an email from my friend Joe Thompson (from Eagle Colorado), who is at Camp II on the Nepali side of Everest. He is with an American expedition and has his dog Denali with them.

They arrived in Nepal on March 20 and are currently at Camp I and should be headed towards Camp II today. As far as is known, Denali is the first dog ever to attempt the Everest climb. Dogs have made it to Camp I before, but not beyond. They expect that the summit attempt will take place sometime mid to late May, but that depends on weather and conditions.

Here is a picture of me with Denali (the one on the right) during our climb in Colorado during a blizzard.

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: First dog to attempt Everest

Post by XterraRob »

I can see it now, this will be motivation for someone to push for a Doggo Winter 14er record next season.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

This is so stupid on so many levels.

What's the point other than the owner getting his 15 minutes of fame? And if the dog dies? Or someone dies rescuing the dog? When will people just stop this nonsense?

I'm going to start bringing my goldfish to 14er summits. I'll start posting pics of him (or her) at every summit. What a freakin' accomplishment!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

mtree wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:17 pm I'm going to start bringing my goldfish to 14er summits. I'll start posting pics of him (or her) at every summit. What a freakin' accomplishment!
While I think hiking 14ers is a poor choice for goldfish, but kayaking is great! Also, have you met my climbing hedgehog? He climbs 5.14s and sets up topropes for me.

https://www.rei.com/blog/travel/rei-int ... s-for-pets
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

mtree wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:17 pm I'm going to start bringing my goldfish to 14er summits. I'll start posting pics of him (or her) at every summit.
good idea, you might want to invest in a pair of these for the hike up.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
triscuit
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by triscuit »

Animal cruelty IMO.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Kinda suspicious since this is posted on A-Fool’s Day. I would guess a big dog is stronger than the best human mountaineer ever. Might have a tough time with the Hillary Step though.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

I assume April Fools because I'm not aware of any trees on Everest as shown in that picture.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

mikefromcraig wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:08 am I assume April Fools because I'm not aware of any trees on Everest as shown in that picture.
Scott P wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:38 am Here is a picture of me with Denali (the one on the right) during our climb in Colorado during a blizzard.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Snowflake and her pals on Bierstadt.
Snowflake and her pals on Bierstadt.
goldfish.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.