Hiker falls to his death on Mt. Blanca

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Hiker falls to his death on Mt. Blanca

Post by djkest »

rocky wrote:Posted on Facebook at about 7:40pm 7/31/17

Alamosa Volunteer Search And Rescue
The 10th Special Forces Group went into action to assist us in bringing the subject up from the bottom and carefully brought back down the mountain road. Incident Command stood down the CSRB teams en route which included Chaffee County SAR, El Paso County SAR, Western Mountain SAR and an offer of assist from the Alamosa Fire Department.
We would like to make a special acknowledgemnt to the 10th Special Forces Group. The Special Operations Advanced Mountaineering School, based out of Ft. Carson, in Colorado Springs, Colorado, are trained by the military to respond to mountain rescues all over the world. Such as when a pilot goes down in rugged terrain that can only be reached by a trained high angle mountaineering team in countries like Afghanistan. Without their assistance many loved ones would never make it home and families would never receive the closure they need. Because of this great group, both the subject and the SAR team did not have to spend the night on the mountain. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed by our team and will be appreciated by the subject's family once they are located.
There are on going efforts by the Alamosa County Sheriff's Office, AVSAR and the Alamosa County Coroner to identfy the young male subject. As of this posting SAR personnel are searching for his vehicle in the Como Road and Mt. Blanca area.
First of all, my condolences to the family of the deceased.

My gratitude goes out to the 10th Special Forces Group mountain teams- I personally know a former member and they train really hard in adverse situations. Their eagerness and willingness to help with a situation outside their lane is a testament to their character and a great reflection of Army values.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Sorry to hear of this news. Best wishes and deepest condolences to his family and friends....
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

*Blanca Peak
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
skylar
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skylar »

Hi, family member here..
My nephew Barney, was an avid outdoor enthusiast, We believe his id was in his daypack, which was lost in the fall, or in his truck. They found his truck and were able to start tracing things backwards. He was identified yesterday. I'm on stand-by to either go to Alamosa or Sequin.
I worked for Outward Bound for 10 years in my younger days and always caution people about letting someone know where you are going. We didn't even know he was in Colorado. He often hiked alone.
Thank you to all who was involved in helping bringing him back to us. I've heard that there were some awesome people involved.
Skylar
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

skylar wrote:Hi, family member here..
My nephew Barney, was an avid outdoor enthusiast, We believe his id was in his daypack, which was lost in the fall, or in his truck. They found his truck and were able to start tracing things backwards. He was identified yesterday. I'm on stand-by to either go to Alamosa or Sequin.
I worked for Outward Bound for 10 years in my younger days and always caution people about letting someone know where you are going. We didn't even know he was in Colorado. He often hiked alone.
Thank you to all who was involved in helping bringing him back to us. I've heard that there were some awesome people involved.
Skylar
I am terribly sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting on here. I hope you are able to find a small bit of comfort knowing Barney passed while being in the beautiful mountains, doing something he loved. I wish you peace - hold on to the memories.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
DaisyMae
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaisyMae »

Skylar
Skylar,
I'm so very sorry for your loss. If the offer has not already been extended, please feel free to contact AVSAR. Our president is Suzi Hopper and she can be reached via the Alamosa Sheriff's Office. I was the IC on this mission and Suzi can provide you my cell number or email if you'd like to speak to me directly.
~Mérida
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Very sorry for your loss.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
Beto
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beto »

The fallen climber sounded like a very bright young man. The family gave out a very detailed nod of thanks to all involved in the recovery effort starting with the hiker that called in the alarm. Very gracious given what they are dealing with. Godspeed, Barney.

http://www.statesman.com/classifieds/ob ... buahTc2GN/
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

So tragic reading that obituary. Sounds like he was an amazing young man.

Do we have any information on where this fall took place? Was it along the Little Bear/Blanca traverse?
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

Phill the Thrill wrote:So tragic reading that obituary. Sounds like he was an amazing young man.

Do we have any information on where this fall took place? Was it along the Little Bear/Blanca traverse?
Somewhere along the Ellingwood / Blanca traverse, apparently.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
meg383
Trip Reports (0)

Post by meg383 »

Skylar
Skylar,
My sister and I met Barney on our way out as he was headed up the Lake Como road, and we remember him well as we stopped and chatted for a bit. We were both very saddened to hear this news, and you and your family have our deepest condolences. May you find peace in each other during this tough time.