Where to go

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiowa Adams
Trip Reports (0)

Where to go

Post by Kiowa Adams »

Hey guys, newbie to climbing 13ers and 14ers here. I've been doing my homework here to learn as much as I can, and you guys seem incredibly helpful. So my question is this: where should I go? Me and my gf are looking to climb a class 2+ summit, or maybe an easy 3 with limited exposure or vertical climbing. I relish a challenge, but She'll be afraid of anything with an overly obvious chance of falling to her doom on our first big hike. Go figure :lol: A 13er or 14er is fine, I'm not picky on the height. We are both 26, I'm in decent shape and she's in okay shape. We'll be going in late July, and will be hitting the gym hard until then to prepare ourselves physically. Looking for good views (I know, that's nearly all of them), solitude, and a nearby campsite with showers for the lady. No high clearance vehicle for us, so relatively close access to a trailhead by way of a VW Jetta is a plus. Maybe I'm looking for a unicorn, but I figured I'd ask the experts. many thanks to any advice we get!!!
MtnResident
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Where to go

Post by MtnResident »

Welcome. There's a lot of peaks that fit that bill, except maybe the solitude part, as there's not much of that on 14er's these days. It sounds like you're new to altitude, so if you're not sure how you react to altitude, I'd strongly suggest trying an "easy" 14er or 13er as your first one. I'd not recommend a 3rd class peak at this point. Try one you can easily follow the trail (Quandary or Grays for example) and has other people on it (pretty much every 14er). Take it slow and drink a lot of water. Watch the weather and don't push it too much just to hit the summit. They'll be there for a long time and you can try again. Good luck.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

If you do a 13er during the week you should have relative solitude. If you do the South slopes of Silverheels from the creek crossing that is accessible for pretty much any vehicle. There Are Places to shower in Fairplay afterwards.

The 13ers near Breck have a bit less solitude but more defined trails: Bald mtn is very accessible.

The San Juans have some like 40% if the states 13ers so tons of options. Finding a place near a campsite is tricky. Maybe Lake City? You can buy a shower the hostel and there are 5 14ers and dozens of 14ers near there.

Consult this site and its trip reports, Summit post, or climb13ers.comm for information on routes. Most 13ers do not have defined trails to their Summit. Some are much better done as snow climbs than summer hikes. Read up and look at photos or ask questions here before you make a commitment.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Mt Hope with an option for Quail Mountain would be a nice class 2+ climb.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Kiowa Adams
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kiowa Adams »

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I'm at work at the moment so I'll mainly just be reading your replies and I'll do some homework when I get home tonight and update if needed. Same goes to any future responses, thanks!
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

For reference, class 3 can have situations where you are climbing at pretty steep angles and if you were to fall backwards you die. Doesnt sound very girlfriendy.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Kiowa Adams
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kiowa Adams »

Rollie Free wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:14 pm For reference, class 3 can have situations where you are climbing at pretty steep angles and if you were to fall backwards you die. Doesnt sound very girlfriendy.
Noted... "laughs nervously"
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

For 14ers, the closest I can think of that checks all these boxes would be Mt. Yale (fully optional class 3 scrambling along the summit ridge). For 13ers, you might look into the Audubon to Paiute ridge, returning back over Audubon (a loop route is also possible, but involves some routefinding challenges). This ridge is probably the least-scary thing in CO that is rated class 3. I don't know about showers for either of those, though...