Dyatlov Pass Incident

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Dyatlov Pass Incident

Post by Scott P »

Has anyone here done much reading into the Dyatlov Pass Incident? Seriously, what the he** happened? That mystery is creepy as any story created by fiction.

I was just wondering who has done much reading or study into the story.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Arndorfer
14ers: 12 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dyatlov Pass Incident

Post by Arndorfer »

Just finished the book by Donny Eichar a couple months ago. An interesting read. He thinks it was infrasound caused by wind over the mountain that caused them to freak out.
Todd
"If you are not on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Yes, pretty crazy story. I was fascinated by this incident too! There was a B-movie made about this incident that was pretty decent. I forget the name but you could find it easily. The low frequency sound theory seems implausible to me considering an incident even remotely similar has never happened anywhere in the world.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

I've actually read quite a bit about it. I haven't heard a theory, however, that really explains it definitively. Except I know for sure it wasn't yeti.
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

I read the book Dead Mountain by Donny Eichar as well. It’s pretty interesting. He believes that a Karman vortex on the mountain caused an infrasound event. Regardless of his conclusions, the book is an interesting read and a good glimpse into the lives of mountaineers in the Soviet Union.
christian349
14ers: 21 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by christian349 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8RigxxiilI

Absolutely recommend this video for anyone interested in the incident, it provides what I think is a rational theory on what really happened. Seems like a series of unfortunate events just compounded on each other to lead to the worst case scenario.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

christian349 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8RigxxiilI

Absolutely recommend this video for anyone interested in the incident, it provides what I think is a rational theory on what really happened. Seems like a series of unfortunate events just compounded on each other to lead to the worst case scenario.
Avalanche was also my thought, but supposedly the tents weren't in avalanche terrain, there were no avalanche debris, and there has never been a known avalanche there before or since. Photos definitely look like there was not an avalanche as well.

If it weren't for that, it would be a lot less mysterious. None of the theories presented seem plausible, but obviously something happened.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

Been a few years since I last thought about this, I read about it a long time ago. Still don't know how I would guess what happened, but it's certainly creepy as hell and some good nightmare fuel. It's strange that it seems to be the only incident of its type that we know about.
mrgooseskin
14ers: 27 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mrgooseskin »

I'll have to check out the book people keep talking about, I want to know what "infrared sound" is.

My personal theory is the incident was caused by some sort of nutty Soviet military weapons experiment gone horribly awry, given the era this took place in. Think about it; USSR in the 1950s was hell-bent on developing defense technology (exactly like the US was) that would provide a leg-up in becoming THE world superpower. Say top military scientists figured out some sort of extremely powerful and deadly mind-bending "aura" type thing to release into the atmosphere within a concentrated area. First test happens to be in the area the hikers were in...an unfortunate coincidence. Some sort of mis-communication somewhere prevented the military from knowing there were civilians in the area. Afterwards, military scientists were so taken aback by what they had created, they never spoke of what they developed ever again and the project was scrapped. It's within the realm of possibility.

The B-movie is worth a watch if you are interested in the event. It doesn't really follow accurate historical portrayal, but takes an interesting view on the incident.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

mrgooseskin wrote:Think about it; USSR in the 1950s was hell-bent on developing defense technology (exactly like the US was) that would provide a leg-up in becoming THE world superpower.
Wasted effort. They should have just pocketed the money spent and waited for drumpf.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
jay_hawker
14ers: 26  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jay_hawker »

I'm on mobile or I'd link it, but I saw a pretty convincing YouTube video that said the homemade stove they were using to keep warm leaked causing the tent to fill up with smoke. It's been a while so I can't remember the details but it seemed plausible enough for me.
Arndorfer
14ers: 12 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Arndorfer »

jay_hawker wrote:I'm on mobile or I'd link it, but I saw a pretty convincing YouTube video that said the homemade stove they were using to keep warm leaked causing the tent to fill up with smoke. It's been a while so I can't remember the details but it seemed plausible enough for me.
If it was just smoke, why would they cut their way out of the tent and scramble almost a kilometer away? Seems much simpler to open a tent flap.
Todd
"If you are not on the edge, you are taking up too much space"