Click to Expand
|Conditions Information||Posted By||Posted On|
|2016-07-23||Route: Southwest Slopes
Info: The 4wd road past the East Slopes trailhead is easy for vehicles with a little clearance, like Subarus and crossover SUVs. It's doable with typical cars too, with a little extra care. After the junction with Rd. 111J, any vehicle continuing on would need high clearance and low gearing. There are two sections between the Rd. 111J junction and the SW Slopes trailhead that would not be passable without high clearance and low gearing. Unless you have a good 4wd vehicle, park your vehicle at the Rd. 111J junction. Also, the distance between the East Slopes trailhead and the Southwest Slopes trailhead is about 2.7 miles, not 2 miles.
|2016-07-18||Route: Southwest Slopes
Info: The road to the trailhead is passable with high clearance, but not all that pleasant to drive on. I drove an F250 and was worried about it getting scratches from encroaching trees. The trail is in great condition. Well marked and easy to follow, even in the dark. No snow. Started at 2:30AM and was on the summit at 5:30--just in time for sunrise! The descent took 2.5 hours. Saw some goats (one baby) and a white marmot!
|2016-07-10||Route: Southwest Slopes
Info: We started from the N Halfmoon Trailhead at 6:30am yesterday morning, made it to the summit at 10:05am and back to the base at 12:45. Tons of marmots and gorgeous wildflowers as we started. The trail conditions were good up until the wind came in intense bursts close to the ridgeline. The cairns made it easy to stay on the trail, even through the super rocky areas. Minor snow about 1/3 of the way up, easy to avoid through walking on the rocks to the side of it if desired, and one small patch near the top, very easy to walk through. Great time to climb it with amazing views of Elbert & Decalibron from up there. I was happy the trail wasn't overly crowded (ie less than 20 people all day that we saw).
|2016-07-09||Route: East Slopes
Info: Did Mt. Massive East Slopes route on 7/9/16. Trailhead on Halfmoon Creek Rd was completely full by 5:45 am, but there was adequate parking on the road. One item to note is that you start this hike on the Colorado Trail, and hike for a little over 3 miles before turning left at the Mt. Massive trail "junction" (11,300'). The turnoff is only marked by a small sign on the left side of the trail and could be easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. (Some friends did this route a couple weeks ago and missed the turnoff, and I almost did the same thing). The rest of the trail is well marked and easy to follow all the way to the summit. Route is bursting with beautiful wild flowers this time of year! Encountered what's left of two small snow fields on the trail near the summit, but there's not much snow remaining and these are not an issue at all. We were blessed with incredible weather on this day and had not a hint of bad weather -- if only every hike was that nice!
|2016-06-29||Route: Southwest Slopes
Info: Climbed from the N. Halfmoon Creek Trailhead. There is still a small snowfield at the turnoff for the summit trail that hides the first 50 feet of the trail, but there are a couple of cairns that show the way. Other than one other modest snowfield a bit higher up on easy terrain, the trail is clear to the summit. The second snowfield was easy to walk up and down, and can be avoided by rock-hopping along its side. Had a great late afternoon/evening climb, seeing only one other hiker a half mile into my ascent.
|2016-06-18||Route: North Ridge
Info: Descended Massive via North Ridge to Windsor Lake. Left Massive Summit about 8:00a and left North Massive about 10:00a. Ridge itself is mostly free of snow or avoidable if desired. The normal easiest route up to North Massive is covered in snow, but there are other Class 3 options to make it up. Getting down the ridge to Windsor Lake and the trailhead was very difficult for us. We had a rough GPS track and general idea of the route from previous trip reports, but it was very difficult to follow until about 400 feet above the TH. The slope coming off the ridge looks too steep to glissade to me, but there is a patch of dirt/rock that has melted out so you can descend to basin below the ridge on dry ground. Once off the ridge, it's nearly constant snow or marsh until finding the Windsor Lake trail about 11,100' or so. Some of the snow was still firm enough to walk on in the afternoon, but most of the time it was knee deep or worse. Snow shoes may have helped, but it was pretty slushy. If we had known conditions would be like this and with no experience on this route before, we would have turned around at North Massive and returned via SW Slopes. In all, it took a little under 12 hours for us to get from N Halfmoon TH to Windsor Lake TH, including breaks on summits and considerable route finding on the second half of the hike. Despite the annoying decent, it was a beautiful day and amazing views from the ridge in all directions.
|2016-06-18||Route: Southwest Slopes
Info: Went up southwest slopes. No snow until the turnoff from North halfmoon lakes trail. The sign is knocked over, and the cairn is covered with snow, so make sure you turn at the correct spot, which is at the big avalanche snow area. A few snow patches start around 12,500. You will have to cross some of them. I would recommend microspikes as some of the patches are on steep terrain. On the ridgeline where the SW slopes and E slopes trail meet, there is continual snow cover. In the morning it was hard and could be crossed easily, in the afternoon it was knee to waist deep posthole hell. The summit is snow free. We continued onto Massive green and north massive, had no problems until north massive, which is still holding a lot of snow, and the "easy" route up it is covered. Right now its class 3 and maybe 4 to summit north massive till some more snow melts. South massive is almost entirely melted out. East slopes trail had a nice glissade area from the summit ridgeline down.
|2016-06-14||Route: East Slopes
Info: Started the trailhead at about 2:00-2:30 am. Other than a few patches, the trail is totally free of snow till around treeline. The snow picks up there. For awhile it is still scattered and avoidable. Further up there was solid ice patches at times, and the trail have some very solid sections of ice worth avoiding. Micro-spikes were fine most of the time. At around 13,000 the snow was consistent and solid. From the ridgeline on its was steady dry snow. There is a section there that definitely seemed skiable for more than a few turns with a couple of inches of good snow. Coming back the conditions have quickly changed to very deep wet snow with random postholing past my waste at times. It was very warm. I caused a couple of snowballs to roll cutting across a wet deep section I should have stayed off of. After that it was drying up pretty fast. Half of the hike is summer conditions. it was about 70 when I got back to the head of the trail.
|2016-06-04||Route: East Slopes
Info: Not much seemed to have changed compared to the 5/21 trip report -- lots of snow and postholing. Needed gaitors/goretex pants, snowshoes, and microspikes. Brought avy gear. Started hitting walls of snow in the willows, but postholed through and was able to follow the trail until 3/4 of the way to treeline--then the trail was spotty to find and any footprints/tracks in the snow had melted. Exited the trees and put on snowshoes -- helped somewhat with postholing but not the entire way. Halfway between treeline and summit, removed snowshoes and postholed/walked on dry ground--was able to find the trail again. Near saddle, put on microspikes to summit. Small wet slides visible on our return nearby. Pretty much the same process on the way down. Microspikes to just boots, to snowshoes, to just boots. Took us around 8 hours. I'd give it a couple more weeks of melting before doing this one.
|2016-05-24||Route: East Ridge
Info: Current snow coverage on Massive's east side
|2016-05-21||Route: East Slopes
Info: Ski tour of Massive's summer East Slopes route starting from the Mt. Massive TH. 4 AM start. Marginal (if any) freeze - 33F at the TH at start time. Snow started ~1 mile in along the Colorado Trail (at the first major bend, where aspect changes from SE to NE), but discontinuous for the first ~0.5 miles. Due to poor freeze, no flotation = serious postholing, so a lot of skis on/off BS in that first half mile ate up a lot of time and energy. More continuous and somewhat firmer snow after that made for faster travel. Trail has not seen enough recent traffic for a real trench, just a hodgepodge of postholes, snowshoe, and now skin tracks. Kind of a mess, really. Major creek crossings currently all have snow bridges, but probably not for long. From trail junction sign, we could not find the summer trail, so just picked our own adventure up to treeline. From treeline to the 13,900' saddle was easy skinning on well-frozen, continuous snow. A few rocky sections, but we were able to keep skis on the whole time. From the saddle, we skinned to about 14,200' and then stashed skis before a major steep step along the ridge. Summit ridge had a few fairly steep and exposed traverses that we were happy to have ice axes for. The snow felt more or less supportive and stable, but I wouldn't want to be on those if it was less so. Rest of the route had minor (ankle-deep) postholing along a totally snow-covered ridge - no sign whatsoever of prior passage. Summitted around 10:45; as far as I know were were the only people to summit that day. The skiing was generally very good - the snow had corned up nicely, but was not too mushy until around treeline. We chose a conservative line from a few hundred feet above the saddle because we hadn't brought avy gear, but numerous more exciting options are available right now, including a descent off the summit proper, or the false summit. While we were able to piece together a continuous path more or less along where the summer trail goes, I don't think this will be possible for much longer (snow is getting thin on some of the tundra). Near treeline, we dropped into the Willow Creek drainage in hopes of an easier and more descent to the CT; initially this worked but the exit out through the aptly-named creek was a posthole nightmare. Rest of the CT required skins for the exit (too much up and down to glide out). Lots of postholing even on skis. Long, exhausting day, but happy to check that one off!
|2016-05-21||Route: East Ridge
Info: Boned it again. This time I lost the trail around 11,100' and basically psyched myself out regarding route finding and called it a day. Looking at my tracks and what I was thinking at the point where I turned back, it was the right decision. Still sucks. Anyway, same conditions as my last conditions report, though I can't speak for what's beyond 11,100'. I do have a picture of the mountain though.
|2016-05-14||Route: East Slopes
Info: Hiked to the Summit. Trail is dry for the first half mile then completely snow covered to the summit. We were able to walk on top most the way with minor post holing. Had to wade through a short section on the Summit ridge. On the descent Snowshoes were necessary from near tree-line until the last half mile.
|2016-05-14||Route: East Ridge
Info: I only made it to ~10.5k / 2.6mi due to unrelenting nausea, but here's what it looks like that far. To the creek crossing the trail is totally dry and clear of snow. After the creek crossing to about 10.2k the trail is maybe 90% covered with snow, that is mostly stable, but also very close to being mostly rotten. From about 10.2k to about 10.5k the trail is completely covered with snow that is very, very rotten. If you're lucky you'll find the pack and stay afloat, but if you're not, which seemed to happen even in places that looked like they'd be packed, you'll shoot right through up to about your knee. It's just really rotten - about what you'd expect this time of year. I'd imagine you'd definitely want snowshoes for the descent. I hope to give it another shot as soon as the weather allows.
|2016-04-23||Route: East Slopes
Info: Couldn't get to trailhead. Our Subaru Cross Trek got stuck in wet/icy snow on the road 5 miles from the trailhead. There was evidence that someone before us got stuck and had to turn around as well. Did Elbert instead. See separate post.
|2016-04-10||Route: East Slopes
Info: Conditions are the same as Deege reported - snowshoes in the forest and microspikes and/or crampons on the ridge. We had microspikes and were able to manage fine, but crampons would have been nice for a couple of sections. On the upper ridge towers we climbed to the right of the towers and descended on the left (facing summit) on the snow. If we had crampons we would've climbed up this snow but we only had microspikes and the snow was too firm to try to get up.
|2016-04-08||Route: East Ridge
Info: Fish Hatchery TH open and dry. Mostly snow/slush coverage from lakes to wilderness boundary. Good snow from there to lower ridge with some faint skin/shoe tracks. (Sorry for anyone following ours...they're a bit meandering in the woods after the turn off of Highline to gain the ridge, as the recent snow obsured most of the obvious tracks or trenching.) Lower ridge to notch was mix of snow and dry ground. Upper ridge was also mix, but with windblown hardpack about 100 ft. from summit. Started at 5:15 am and still postholed in the lower woods, especially if a step was just off the trench. Microspikes were helpful, if not necessary, for all snow sections in early a.m. and upper slopes with snow. Snowshoes were helpful in the morning from Colorado Trail intersection to ridge in deeper snow, and they were absolutely necessary in the afternoon from trees back to TH. Crampons would not have been a bad idea for final summit pitch in hard snow, but microspikes were acceptable. Didn't try for North Massive...my list is 58! Beautiful, warm day with slight breeze. Oh, and one remarkable note: my wife and I didn't see or hear another soul all day; had the route and the mountain all to ourselves. That's a first.
|2016-03-12||Route: East Ridge
Info: Conditions were consistent with the previous report from 11 March. If you're ok with the occasional posthole, the trail is well-trenched and barefootable all the way to treeline. Microspikes will expedite the process. We never used our snowshoes and ditched them around 12k'. From there, 90% of the remaining climb to the summit of Massive can be done on terra firma. A few notes on the traverse to North Massive: it is mostly dry, with the exception of a brief section on the first subsummit NW of Massive Green. In my first picture, I've pointed it out with red arrow. For this one 50 ft section up to the ridge proper, the snow was faceted, loose, and sugary. This was the only dicey part of the day, as it wouldn't have been possible to self-arrest here. Picture 2 shows the quality of the remaining terrain. Picture 3 shows the terrain leading up to the N. Massive summit.
|2016-03-11||Route: East Ridge
Info: Well packed trail / trench to timberline being traveled by a few people every day. I used snowshoes to avoid the occasional posthole on the ascent after leaving the Highline trail and for the entire descent. It may be possible to do without them, but I would not have wanted to do so. The ridge is drier when viewed up-close (Photo 1) than from a distance (Photo 2). Massive's summit came easily enough that I decided to attempt North Massive. I ran out of time, but conditions don't look impossible (Photo 3).
|2016-03-05||Route: East Ridge
Info: Just a quick note from cell if anybody needs it for Sunday: early morning, you can even bareboot all the way to turn-off from Highline Trail (spikes or sshoes can be anybody's preference). Trench from that point, then past rocky point 11827 to ridge above timberline has been re-established (worth noting that it took one windy day to bury most of it in drifts). As for ridge, largely dry. Snow field on east side above the notch at 13000. Today, rocks were in sun and dry. Sunday could be a different story in the afternoon See if anybody else produces a condition report