Forum rules
This forum is read-only
HikerCurt
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2014 14er Speed Record Attempt

Post by HikerCurt »

Andrew and team - You have been a inspiration for many, many people with your fine example of individual perseverance and teamwork. My favorite post was the one mentioning examples of you helping others achieve their goals in the mountains -this from a truly elite athlete. Since I live in CA I was already planning a Shasta trip to encourage you on your way to Rainer to finish. Andrew, team, 14ers.com, Cavedog - Thanks for an inspirational and first class example to follow in the mountains and beyond.
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

hobo13 wrote: Is this a Joe DiMaggio 61-game hitting streak?
Kinda...except Joe hit in 56 games. But you're right, if it wasn't broken this time, it might be quite awhile
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

I was looking forward to surprising him on the other side of the Sawtooth cheering him on. But hey, the fact that I got to witness these last 9 days, the countless nights I stayed up with my iPhone hitting refresh, the hours I sat at work hitting F5, and the number of people I told about your journey was completely worth it. I hope to meet you or any of your crew on the trail!
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

I still think there should be a party.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
hobo13
14ers: 45 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hobo13 »

dmccool wrote:
hobo13 wrote: Is this a Joe DiMaggio 61-game hitting streak?
Kinda...except Joe hit in 56 games. But you're right, if it wasn't broken this time, it might be quite awhile
Actually, I was referring to his minor league record. :wink:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/dimaggio/p ... nde07.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least that's my story....
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

its_not_a_tuba wrote:I still think there should be a party.
Well, I mean, CaveDog's in town! He's a busy guy!
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

If only Andrew's leg were as strong as his heart.

Is there any other sport where the champ roots for his own record to be broken?

The mountains are mighty, but so are Andrew, his family, his crew, and his community of support here. Wow.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

An amazing run, and a big inspiration for me.
With my two young kids I don't get out near as much as I want. He has given me proof that you can maintain a good fitness level and be back on the mountains.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

I almost can't even imagine how difficult it was to make that call after all this effort. Or it could have been very easy - being married to a doctor may have left you with no say in the matter at all. :mrgreen:

Compartment syndrome is rough stuff - hopefully this is something that's recoverable without surgery. I can say without fear of contradiction that that's not the way anybody wants you to end this endeavor. Hopefully you can recover quickly.

This has been a terrific, inspiring, and uplifting experience to follow. Thank you, Andrew, for letting us all tag along with you (in spirit, at least), and MASSIVE THANKS to his family, support crew, and pacers who not only handled the logistics but helped keep him safe. This ending hurts us all, but there could have been worse.

Now that you're done with this easy stuff, you can get back to the business of raising 4 kids! :lol:
Last edited by Doug Shaw on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

Oman wrote:If only Andrew's leg were as strong as his heart.

Is there any other sport where the champ roots for his own record to be broken?

The mountains are mighty, but so are Andrew, his family, his crew, and his community of support here. Wow.
Aren't you supposed to be busy writing a book about all this right now. Seriously, quit screwing around and get back to work.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
waltoncito
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by waltoncito »

Funny how certain members couldn't stop posting messages of encouragement before Andrew called it and now they are silent. He deserves our support now more than ever, imagine how hard it would be to call off a race in the home stretch. This guy is made of steel and is such an inspiration. Hope he recovers quickly!
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Thank you Andrew and team 'bad dad' for sharing this journey with us. This has been an exciting week to say the least. A sleepless night due to concern about injury, amazing demonstrations of extraordinary abilities, resolve and sportsmanship. Class acts by Cave Dog, Homie and others. This was truly inspirational! I wish you all the best in the future and peace with your decision.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz