Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

random FOtH quotes

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

random FOtH quotes

Postby cheeseburglar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:42 pm

To prevent the misfortune of having a hat blow off and sail over the edge of a cliff, sew leashes onto your headgear.

I decided to read Freedom of the Hills from cover to cover, something I haven't done. The first chapter is pretty funny.
Thought it would be fun if we posted random quotes from the book, or other mountaineering books.

Re: random FOtH quotes

Postby Oman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:22 pm

Once a discussion is under way, differences of opinion will arise. It is good to collect opinions and get all viewpoints out in the open, but this can lead to indecision ("Which course do we select?") or argument ("You are wrong!") P. 462

The 14ers.com forum summed up in 41 words.

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:40 pm

Solo climbing on glaciers is a lethal pastime in Ecuador as elsewhere. If you are determined to climb in this way, you should carry your passport so those unfortunate enough to find your body can identify it quickly and easily. Yossi Brain, Ecuador: A Climbing Guide

Certainly seems like the polite thing to do.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:02 pm

The best quote from Yossi Brain's Ecuador book is the entire chapter on Sangay... here is a taste:

Vulcanologists do not view the mountain as dangerous because the number of eruptions (up to three per minute) prevent a big and dangerous build up of gas that could cause a large eruption devastating a wide area. However, this does not prevent climbers from being killed by flying rocks - a helmet is essential.... ....During the mid 1990's Sangay quieted down and eruptions were confined, mainly, to emissions of gas, and rocks were not being thrown more than 50m/165 ft from whichever crater was active. However, this situation could change at any time and rocks weighing as much as one ton and moving at 80 kmh/50 mph are not unusual

:shock:

Anyone want to give this one a shot? The best line is "A helmet is essential", why? apparently no one who climbs this mountain has a brain to protect anyway :lol:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:The best quote from Yossi Brain's Ecuador book is the entire chapter on Sangay...

OK, you win – yours is funnier.
Last edited by susanjoypaul on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:03 pm

From a paper on water-borne illnesses, about cryptosporidium:
But in persons whose immune systems have been compromised (e.g., AIDS victims), symptoms can be profound: Frequent (6 to 25), voluminous (1 to 25 liters) daily bowel movements, serious weight loss, and cyst shedding often persist for months.

25 liters. Boggles the mind.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:14 pm

25 liters in one shot? I love these intellectual conversations.
Last edited by susanjoypaul on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby cheeseburglar » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:30 pm

As with hats, sew security cords onto your mittens and overmitts.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:19 am

Sorry, that took an ugly turn...back on topic (from the 1982 edition):
A good navigator is never lost, but having learned humility, always carries enough food and clothing to survive hours or even days of temporary confusion.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:17 pm

Funny stuff!
A cord attached to the knife and secured to your belt or harness lets you keep the knife in your pocket for ready access without danger of losing it.

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:47 pm

The circumference and cross-sectional shape of the shaft affect your grip. A particular shaft might be too large or too small for your hand. A shaft that is too large in circumference is fatiguing to grip. A shaft that is too small is hard to control. -Freedom of the Hills p. 395

Careful ice axe selection is so important.

Postby cheeseburglar » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:43 pm

That one is going to be impossible to beat.

An ice axe is a versatile tool, coming in handy for travelling in steep heather, scree, brush, crossing streams, and digging sanitation holes.

Next