Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Have you climbed Orizaba?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Re: Have you climbed Orizaba?

Postby hatidua » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:53 pm

I've not climbed Orizaba but have found Mexico City to be far more user friendly and safe than the media would have you believe. I stay in the Zona Rosa area and go out at night alone & have felt perfectly safe. The VW taxi's are quite a kick as well: automatic-opening passenger side door, no front passenger seat, not like any taxi's I've tried anywhere else in the world (Thai tuk-tuk's aside).

Postby CRAIGO » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:28 am

This question is slightly off topic, but does anyone have any beta on the ruta sur? This used to be the standard route up Orizaba. Is it still a reasonable route while there's snow (Sept-Dec)? Is it more of a challenge to get to the Fausto Gonzales hut? This route seems more straight forward and slightly easier than the Jampa.

Thanks

Postby JB99 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Craigo, you might PM Gabriel, he suggested that route to me once so he might have some beta on it.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:05 pm

At the end of October last year, there was pretty much no snow on the south side of Orizaba.
It looked like it would have been a long slog up scree.

JB99- sorry I didn't get around to commenting in time for your paper.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby CRAIGO » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Can't believe it's gone that early in the season. Thanks

Postby AndrewJ » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:16 pm

This is my first post and although I am a relativley new member to the site, I have been using the information available for several years now. I have used it for 2 successful climbs of Longs Peak. Recently I have used some of your excellent Trip Reports as I have prepared for an attempt of Orizaba. I am flying to Mexico City Christmas Day and taking a bus to Tlachichuca via Puebla. We will be using Servimont for accomadations and travel to and from the hut. We are flying back Jan 2nd. I just wanted to thank you all for your information.

But now down to business....

I just read about an oil pipeline explosion in San Martin Texmelucan. It appears to be serious. 27 dead and many injured.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12/19/state-owned-pipeline-explodes-mexico-dead/?test=latestnews

This city seems to be directly on the probable bus route. I am worried about the impact on travel and the overall region. I have emailed Servimont, but answers some times take a day or two. I am posting here to see if anyone has an idea of the potential impact. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the area or from friends/family? Advice on whether to make the trip or not?

Thanks in advance.

Previous