current (12/16) Bierstadt or Grays conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

current (12/16) Bierstadt or Grays conditions?

Post by climbing_rob »

I did look see nothing current in the conditions/trip reports, anyone been up either of these in the last few days? Looking for a workout tomorrow, haven't been up either in over a year. I understand guanella pass road is closed before pass, adds a couple miles, no biggie. I also assume Gray's road is well past closed, so would hike from highway. Just looking for trail/snow conditions on actual mountains. Thanks in advance for any info!
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: current (12/16) Bierstadt or Grays conditions?

Post by Jay521 »

FWIW - I was on the south side of Bierstadt yesterday (Scott Gomer drainage). Didn't look like there was much snow on that aspect. Looked pretty much like the picture I took and posted on my Geneva Mountain TR a couple weeks back.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Hey Bob,

CMC HAMS group was up Torreys this past weekend, so you may want to inquire within. :) The approach was from Loveland pass, so not much help on the conditions from Bakersville side. Winds were kinda brutal (no surprise here), so ridges were mostly windblown.

SarahT
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 670 168
Trip Reports (75)

Post by SarahT »

Went up Bierstadt yesterday, but via the East Ridge. We chatted with hikers who'd come up the std route and it sounds like the snow is thin but you'll still need flotation through the willows.
Die Zeit ist unendlich lang und ein jeder Tag ein Gefäß, in das sich sehr viel eingießen lässt, wenn man es wirklich ausfüllen will.... Goethe
http://www.13ergirl.com/
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Thanks for the info folks!