Herman Gulch conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Herman Gulch conditions

Post by AlexeyD »

Continuing to look at various options for this weekend. Anyone been up Herman Gulch lately? How are snow conditions on Pettingel/Citadel?
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Herman Gulch conditions

Post by Dave B »

Although I didn't set foot in Herman Gulch, I got a great view of Citadel and Pettingell from a ski of Bard/Engelman on Wednesday.

There is a ton of snow up there. Seriously, snotel measurements are not quite capturing the status of snow in the alpine right now since they're all below tree line. Anyways, north facing cooler on Citadel looked great and Pettingell east face looked continuous. Get after it!

I've got a picture of the two peaks that I can put up later today when I get home.
Make wilderness less accessible.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Dave B wrote:I've got a picture of the two peaks that I can put up later today when I get home.
Would love to see them, thanks!
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Here ya go.

Looks like some wet slide debris on Citadel, which is little surprise given the recent conditions.

Make wilderness less accessible.
odoyle81
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by odoyle81 »

Yep, there was wet slide activity everywhere up there. There is lots of snow, but it has been warm and we were skiing mashed potatoes on Pettingell on Sunday. Even triggered a little wet slide of our own. We were able to ski down patches and only had to hike the last two miles of trail.

wet slides:

view from the top of Pettingell:

ski:

GarrettA
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GarrettA »

I was up on the Citadel on sunday, Got to it early enough, parts of the bowl were stable and I had good run down mashed potatoes.
Attachments
IMG_4095.JPG
IMG_4095.JPG (91.93 KiB) Viewed 383 times
IMG_4117.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG (81.32 KiB) Viewed 383 times
IMG_4108.JPG
IMG_4108.JPG (162.29 KiB) Viewed 383 times
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

How far up the trail does the significant snow start?
odoyle81
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by odoyle81 »

First two miles are a mix of dry, wet & muddy, and small patches of snow. After that we left the gulch around 11,500 at which point the snow is pretty continuous. Here is a shot of the gulch (you can see I70 in the distance).