Guyot Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Guyot Conditions

Post by JtheChemE »

Anyone been up that way recently and can report on snow conditions? Even a pic from afar would be helpful. Anyone know the status of the road to TH?

Thanks in advance!
GerryRigged
14ers: 24  24  3 
13ers: 13 11 2
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Guyot Conditions

Post by GerryRigged »

If you are going from the Breck side you can drive to the trail head. If going from the S Park side you may have a long walk. The peak is completely covered in snow so you may need floatation.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Here's Guyot from the east last weekend http://otinasadventures.com/trip/img/ge ... eva_98.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MyFeetHurt »

Looks like French Creek my be a good mellow solo ski outing, I may give it a try on Sunday.
MarkMadness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MarkMadness »

As was mentioned, trailhead from the Breck side was easily accessible last Saturday. We had snowshoes and used them even though they might not have been necessary.
Little French Gulch
Little French Gulch
DSC08623.jpg (63.37 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
DSC08627.jpg
DSC08627.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

Thanks all! I apologize, as I should have specified the particular TH I was curious about (S Park side).
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Here's the view out my window as of oh, five minutes ago. Facing close to due south. French Creek is the gully straight on, South Park is the opposite side.
Attachments
Guyot 5/2/15
Guyot 5/2/15
guyot.jpg (300 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
ash-ish
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ash-ish »

Interesting picture. To test my avy reading skills, I would conclude that the face looks pretty wind loaded - i see nice smooth pillows. Would that be a correct assessment?
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Bump! Any recent updates? How is snow coverage on the French Creek road?
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

The upper mountain is as white - if not more white than TravelingMatt's pic. Based on other Summit Co trail conditions I would guess the road is melted out.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

davebobk47 wrote:The upper mountain is as white - if not more white than TravelingMatt's pic. Based on other Summit Co trail conditions I would guess the road is melted out.
Thanks! Good to know. Will likely post an update Sat afternoon.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

davebobk47 wrote:The upper mountain is as white - if not more white than TravelingMatt's pic.
A little more snow above treeline, with a bit less below it, from my vantage point. The lighting isn't very good this instant so I'll wait to take a pic. Maybe this evening.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake