Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Loveland pass/Mt snikatu

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Loveland pass/Mt snikatu

Postby billdawg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Howdy all. I will be heading out there in a couple of days from NE, and I thought I'd give Snikatu & Cupid a try. It seems wind is an issue generally according to most TR's I've read. What is the elevation gain from the parking area. As a flatlander, that's always my biggest issue,lol

Re: Loveland pass/Mt snikatu

Postby dehrlich101 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:07 pm

billdawg wrote:. What is the elevation gain from the parking area. As a flatlander, that's always my biggest issue,lol

About 1300 ft of elevation gain, most of it is in the first mile.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Random history factoid: "Sniktau" was the pen name of a newspaper columnist in Georgetown back in the mining days. He apparently nicked it from another jounalist from back east who called himself "Sniktaw", which is "Watkins" backwards.
source

Carry on. :mrgreen:

On a more useful note, you can get some idea of the likely wind from the point forecast for Loveland Pass. 15 mph is pretty normal in the winter, just for reference. This Saturday is looking uncommonly nice from three days out.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby gdthomas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Since you asked about wind, the point forecast for Torrey's Peak which is right next to but 1,000 feet lower than where you'll be shows breezy/blustery conditions this weekend preceded by some pretty hefty winds through Friday evening. Here's the link to the NWS forecast:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1#

I assume you've been tracking snow conditions in the Northern and Central mountains. With the recent snowfall we've had it's actually looking like the middle of winter in the Colorado high country.