Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

spanish caves(sangre de cristo range)

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: spanish caves(sangre de cristo range)

Postby Craig Cook » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 pm

tmathews wrote:I would also submit that it's not a good idea to post locations to keep from tempting assholes like this.

:wft: :wft: :wft:
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby Furthermore » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:43 am

Here is a prime example of what vandals, gem collectors and people with bad caving ethics can do to caves.

These photos are taken in almost exactly the same location. (I obviously didn't take these photos)

I was caving way before I ever started 13er binging and I do still love and care about them.
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (164.87 KiB) Viewed 484 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (209.68 KiB) Viewed 484 times

Postby Furthermore » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:44 am

And.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (165.19 KiB) Viewed 483 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (168.87 KiB) Viewed 483 times

Postby caverdude » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:58 am

Furthermore has stated the need to protect caves very eloquently. Even if cave locations are published it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. As a long time AZ caver I am well aware of both sides of the argument for cave location secrecy. In 30 years of caving I've seen many caves changed forever by the actions of a few careless individuals. The best way to protect caves is through education and the best way to learn, is from experienced cavers by joining a NSS grotto or finding friends who are experienced cavers. Just like you wouldn't head off to climb a 14er unprepared, you need to learn specialized techniques to protect both you and the cave from harm. If anyone wants help getting started just send me a PM and I will try to get you started in the right direction.
Be safe both above and below ground,
Pat

Previous