Good Summer Route for Jacque Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BTL
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Good Summer Route for Jacque Peak

Post by BTL »

Has anyone had experience with a good summer route on this peak that doesn't involve Guller Creek (Colorado Trail)? The CT route looks pretty long distance wise and I'm wondering if there's a decent route from the SE. Dave Muller's old book lists a route, but it involves driving up a road that is now closed near the tailings ponds. I was looking at Graveline Gulch on the map and pondering the bushwacking factor.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Good Summer Route for Jacque Peak

Post by Presto »

From my journal (somewhat vague, but might be helpful) ... We had looked at Jacque Peak a couple of times while driving down Fremont Pass (great views of the peak from here) and decided to leave Denver early on Saturday and bushwack up this peak from the "sea of crap" side. After the turnoff for Copper Mountain, continue on the highway and use one of the pullouts on the south side of the highway just before the highway begins to ascend Fremont Pass. Do not park near the turnoff for the "sea of crap". There are multiple no parking signs. The rain, which had begun around Frisco, was steady and light. Oh well. We donned our raingear and walked across the road (to the north) ascending slightly in elevation. Behind the two large rocks (a bit above and behind the "no parking" signs), you will find an old abandoned jeep road. We followed this for quite awhile as it zigged and zagged its way up the hillside. Specific directions from here would be pointless. We followed this road, along with some game trails, bushwacked a little and ended up on a high ridge and then followed that ridge (in the clouds and rain) to the summit. The rain continued, more heavily at times, the entire way to the top. One advantage to climbing in this type of weather is that there are no worries of lightning ... the air never gets warm enough to start anything. The rocks near the summit were wet and puddled up which made footing slippery and balance questionable. There was a summit cairn, but no register. The views ... well, there were no views. We saw no other climbers (hahahahahahah) and we did not stay long. The rain stopped for a bit on our descent and we were able to follow game trails/jeep tracks all the way back down to the jeep road we had started out following in the morning. By the time we reached the truck, it was raining pretty good and continued all the way to Denver. Happy Trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
BTL
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BTL »

And you considered that a good summer route? :D
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Yup ... worked well for us. Hope you have better weather as the views would be great. :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I did Jacque about a week ago, and went up Graveline, although that was not my original intent -- wanted to go up the Copper Creek drainage.

I parked opposite the road from all the No Parking signs, where there is an ample dirt area, and even a guardrail for protection from traffic.

I did not go past the gated road, but started ascending where there are a couple of large boulders. I ran into an old jeep road rather quickly, and took it most of the way as it switchbacked up Graveline Gulch. It is possible to shortcut directly up the gulch once you reach it and rejoin the jeep road, if you think the road isn't taking you up fast enough.

Eventually the road peters out around 11,500 feet on the south side of the gulch. This is around treeline, and if you continue south/west you will be in the Copper Creek drainage. From there I aimed for the col between Copper and Union mountains (you will see the top of a chairlift there), went around to the north (ski area) side of Union and continued on the ridge to Jacque. Rocks were pretty stable. Nothing harder than class 2.

For the descent, I went down Copper Creek. It was not too hard to stick to cleared areas. Below the Black Jack chairlift I picked up a faint trail that eventually crossed to the south side of Copper Creek, deviating from the creek further south about 500 feet (not precise) above the road. I think the creekbed is overgrown and steep near the bottom so it is not a bad idea to leave it.

Even though the weather wasn't great when I did it, Jacque is well-situated and offers nice views of the Tenmile, Gore and Sawatch ranges, and you can identify several Front Range peaks through the Tenmile wall.

Hope this helps.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
BTL
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BTL »

Thanks Presto and TravelingMatt!

Your information will get me headed in the right direction. I'll be on the lookout for the 2 large rocks/boulders and the old jeep road - that should help to avoid some of the bushwacking. I'm glad to hear that both Graveline and Copper Creek are passable.

I'll return with a full report. :wink: