Colorado Springs training hikes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
maddog54
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Colorado Springs training hikes

Post by maddog54 »

Thanks all for your advice. I did do the incline yesterday and it was tough. As usual went out too hard and paid the price. Have done Waldo Canyon once when Pikes was under the weather. I will try some of the other hikes too. Folks from the springs if you are ever in Boulder there are several phenomenal training hikes like Sanitas, Green Mountain, Shadow Canyon. These aren't as intense as the INcline, but pretty stout and much more of a traditional climb as opposed to a striaght up stairmaster. particularily Sanitas which is pretty steep 1,200 eleveation gain in 1.2 miles. I have done it at least 500 times and never get tired of it.
Randy
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Colorado Springs training hikes

Post by Randy »

I guess Im in the minority here because I despise the incline, Ive been up it once and down it once. I went down the incline once when it was covered in snow and ice (a horribly bad choice) my legs where so torqued they hurt for days. Anywho, I used the Barr trail to train as well a Waldo canyon. I did the route to barr camp 2 or 3 times a week and loved it. Id just crank my walkman and hike away, I think hitting 10,000ft a few times a wekk really helped me on the 14ers and the people at the camp are always very nice.