Footwear advice?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
coloradoan4christ
Trip Reports (0)

Footwear advice?

Post by coloradoan4christ »

Colorado native, newbie climber, interested in easy and moderate 14ers only (class 3 max), 21 years old, female, suffers from plantar fasciitis.

Headed to do my first 14er (Grays or Bierstadt - haven't decided yet) in a week or two and hoping to get something good before then. Or would my running tennis shoes work fine for those climbs? Hoping not to spend more than between $60-$100. Thanks!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Footwear advice?

Post by mtree »

Running shoes should be fine.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

If you do not already have them, you might want to look into getting replacement insoles for your running shoes to improve the arch and heel support.
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bichito »

Running shoes/sneakers will suffice but they may not last if you start doing tour de abyss type of hikes. If you have the money invest in a pair of boots.

Learn from my garmonts :-}
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Running shoes will work fine if you dont like those shoes and want to trash them after a hike or two.

The sharp rocks will tear them up. Look into some trail runnng shoes.
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bichito »

rob runkle wrote:Running shoes will work fine if you dont like those shoes and want to trash them after a hike or two.

The sharp rocks will tear them up. Look into some trail runnng shoes.
Even those take a beating. I just beat the pulp out of a pair of garmont zenith (low height/sneakers) I am buying boots ASAP.
gjohnston89
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by gjohnston89 »

I personally like Salomon speedcross 3s. Light weight,good traction. They have multiple types some with goretex lining,but they are low cut so ankle deep water or snow will get in pretty easy. Ive put, 100 miles or so on mine between hiking 14ers and trail running and they have held up pretty well. Probably have maybe 50 more left on them.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I personally get a bunch of hikes out of a relatively cheap pair of running shoes from Sierra Trading post. They usually last a whole season of Class 1-4 climbs. Lightweight=happiness!