Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

WyomingBob

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Jagged Mountain Accident

Postby kimo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:45 am

His adventures inspired me through the years. Rest in Peace, Howard.

Postby rking007 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 am

Prayers go out to his family and friends. So sorry. :(
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby Jay521 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:12 am

Like so many others, I knew Bob through his TR's. He always admitted his route finding mistakes and took such a modest approach in describing his climbs. He would always respond to any comment I would leave on his reports and I did several 13ers as a direct result of his site. This is SO sad... Thoughts and prayers to his friends and family... With Steve gone and Terry's passing, this news just adds to my continuing sadness...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby ChicagoMike » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:17 am

Thoughts and prayers

Postby awilbur77 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:40 am

Wow, this is such sad news. My heart is heavy again, and it's a shame we have lost yet another great member of our big mountaineering family.

WyomingBob was kind enough to reach out to me and offer his support during my broken ankle ordeal this past spring. I never even got time to thank him properly. I just read about how WB went through his own broken ankle last year, so this really hits home for me personally.

I think the least I can do is say a prayer for his family & close friends from a summit this weekend.

Rest easy my friend.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://awilbur77.blogspot.com/

Postby Coucher73 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 am

Oh my God, no.

I've read so many of his trip reports that I felt like I knew him. I can't believe he's gone.

Postby mtgirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:34 am

awilbur77 wrote: I just read about how WB went through his own broken ankle last year, so this really hits home for me personally.

It seems he broke his ankle last year on the approach to climb Jagged.......the same mountain he lost his life on last week. :(
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Phill the Thrill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 am

mtgirl wrote:
awilbur77 wrote: I just read about how WB went through his own broken ankle last year, so this really hits home for me personally.

It seems he broke his ankle last year on the approach to climb Jagged.......the same mountain he lost his life on last week. :(

I am so sorry to hear that this is Wyoming Bob. My prayers are with his family and friends. I just read his trip report to Chicago/Ruby Basins last summer when he broke his ankle. He was one incredibly strong person to walk out of there with a broken ankle. Note that he refers to all the climbing gear they took with them in their planned attempt to climb Jagged Peak. Clearly something went very wrong in this accident, and it just hurts to hear of another fatal accident involving a truly accomplished climber and great person. Bob, I'm sorry we never met. I will think of you next summer when we plan to spend a week backpacking that same Ruby Basin to climb Pigeon/Turret/Jupiter etc.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney

Postby devo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:25 pm

I met Wyoming Bob a few years back when we ended up on a 4th of July climb of Culebra a few years ago. It was his 14er finisher that he had not wanted to climb due to the concept of having to pay the fee but had decided to check it off his list. He was one of the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet and shared some great stories of his climbing adventures from all over the world. We all shared a couple of beers back at the trucks, said our goodbyes and we were off. I kept in touch via email over the years discussing mountains we were heading to but we never met again. My deepest sympathies for his friends and family and even though my heart is saddened by the news of his passing I will always consider myself lucky that our paths crossed and will fondly remember that glorious day spent on that mountain and the true joy and passion that he carried with him while he was there.

Re: WyomingBob Memorial

Postby anasarca76 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:59 pm

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends... RIP my fellow Wyomingite

Postby 12ersRule » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Well said, Devo. I met WyomingBob the same day. Class act and very fun to hike with/drink beers afterwards with. I enjoyed his trip reports greatly.

This has been an awful season.

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:36 pm

I did not know WyomingBob but I send my condolences to friends and family of him.

The peaks in that area of the state are not easy by any stretch of the imagination - very challenging terrain. I was saddened to hear of this news on my way to Chicago Basin last week.

May all who knew him find peace. The 14er community is thinking of you. <3

Seems like it has been a very tragic couple of months. :(
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

PreviousNext