Five killed in Loveland Pass Avalanche

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Five killed in Loveland Pass Avalanche

Post by rickinco123 »

That's amazing, I would never guess those angles based on the photos. I wonder if wind loading completely distorted the angle on top of the snow vs the bed surface. The report on this on this one going to be very valuable.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Here's the avalanche outline given by the CAIC.

I transferred that outline to a satellite photo w/ slope angles and topo w/ slope angles:

Topo map w/ slope angles and avalanche outline
Topo map w/ slope angles and avalanche outline
4-23-2013 9-39-55 AM.jpg (236.63 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
edited to add slope angle color scale.
Last edited by geojed on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Thanks geojed for doing the work to track down the slope angle. That is the question that I've been wondering all along. Were they merely under a slope exceeding 30 degrees, was the entire slope over 30, was the crown over 30, or was this a rare exception to the 30 degree rule? I met a guy on the lift at Breck on Sunday who said he was involved in the rescue/recovery. He told me the slope was 32 - 35 degrees. The ride ended before I could ask if that was at the crown, point of recovery or possible trigger area. I await the CAIC report.
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

BKS wrote:Thanks geojed for doing the work to track down the slope angle. That is the question that I've been wondering all along. Were they merely under a slope exceeding 30 degrees, was the entire slope over 30, was the crown over 30, or was this a rare exception to the 30 degree rule? I met a guy on the lift at Breck on Sunday who said he was involved in the rescue/recovery. He told me the slope was 32 - 35 degrees. The ride ended before I could ask if that was at the crown, point of recovery or possible trigger area. I await the CAIC report.
A very sad outcome to an event about backcountry safety. May we all support the family and friends of those lost.

There is a "First Rescuer" account on wildsnow.com . By most data accounts they were "Not" on the main slope. It seems they were relatively close to one another in an "UpTrack" (skinning uphill) in the lower regions of the slope when the avalanche struck. That said, those areas were down in the 20-25 degree areas on the up track according to Hillmap.com and Caltopo.com.
Appears to be a trigger from the "Toe" or a "natural" with horrible timing.

Safe travels everyone
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Rick was a good guy. Didn't know the others. But I assume they were of similar backgrounds. Loveland Pass is a ticking time bomb and has been for a long time. I just assumed that a tragic incident such as this wasn't going to involve such experienced folks, but snow doesn't really care what you know I guess. The best to their loved ones.

There is no 30 degree rule. But having skied that same slope before, I can assure you that it is over 30 and ends in a nasty terrain trap. 25 degree slopes move in certain instances though. Avalanches also start on 30+ degree slopes and then propagate up and 100 yards onto totally flat ridges often. We still have such limited understanding of snowpacks, and it is so zonally varied that any definitive rules are hard to come up with. That is probably the best learning from this incident.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

thanks Caleb. This makes me realize that I've had a false sense of security by using the inclometer and staying off +30 slopes when CAIC says risk is more than green.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

BKS wrote:thanks Caleb. This makes me realize that I've had a false sense of security by using the inclometer and staying off +30 slopes when CAIC says risk is more than green.
I hear that the CAIC is going to the format that the UAC and CBAC use, discussing each individual avalanche problem rather than just throwing up a blanket color rating. That'll be a huge improvement.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

BKS wrote:thanks Caleb. This makes me realize that I've had a false sense of security by using the inclometer and staying off +30 slopes when CAIC says risk is more than green.
An inclinometer is a great proactive tool for avy risk reduction and as you move down from 38 degrees chances of slides do reduce. But after a few personal experiences I have learned that slope angle is only one variable in a complex equation. Take a look at this video. Sage was never on a slope steeper than 25 degrees and he almost got pulled into the last moments of life. Similarly I have triggered slides while on completely flat terrain.

http://www.tetongravity.com/blogs/Video ... 218525.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

The abasin slide was 25 degrees at the crown. The steeper snow pulled it down from below. Its usually obvious to consider avy terrain above you, but what about below? Especially when you are traveling in snowy weather, sometimes the terrain looks totally distorted and its easy to wander off of your intended line, especially in convex terrain.
Scotzman
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scotzman »

My thoughts and prayers to all the families and friends affected by this horrible event. May they be comforted and we be educated from this tragedy that something positive may evolve out of this.
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Personal memorials in the paper today
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_23092 ... red-others
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

FOBP just put up an excellent article.

http://berthoudpass.org/2013/04/24/on-w ... -together/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd