Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:44 pm

WSN wrote:
MountainHiker wrote: They arrived at what they identified as the crux chimney. He climbed up first and had trouble negotiating the very top. There was a loose rock that came off. He fell. His momentum took him over the side of the ledge below.

From MountainHiker's narrative I believe the victim in fact fell from the top/exit of the second gully, not the actual crux chimney. If some one falls from anywhere near the chimney, it is only going to be a 10-foot fall, no way to tumble into the second gully.
I recall that the exit of the second gully is kind of tricky. Two years ago, I ended up to climb a 10-foot wall, and almost pulled out a rock that I used as a handhold!

RIP, Derek. Condolences, Prayers and Peace to Derek's family and friends.

With due respect to WSN, Derek's fall did begin from the exit / top of chimney while solving for handhold to get out. Although the climb out of the second gully is a tricky one that was not where this tragedy began.

Postby Doctor No » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Very sad news. :( Rest in peace, Derek.

Postby runner69 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Mountainhiker you are so right about the SAR workers, I was with LCSAR for 17 years and the deacation and time spent can never be paid. we do it for the love of helping people. And yes we do get consling after anything like this. I always had a hard time after a body recovery and did a lot of soul searching and asking myself why. My heart goes out to all involved. Thank you for all the info on what happend and for helping. I don't know you but I do know the type of person you are by going out of your way to help and do what you did.
Do or Do not there is no try-Yoda

Postby nyker » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:23 pm

This is a real shame.

To those who were close to Derek, condolences to you.

It's been a tough year in the mountains.

Postby Tortoise1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:41 pm

It's an interesting sequence of events - "Kelley fell when a boulder came loose", but below there was first the sound of rock slide, then a considerable rock slide, then a backpack, then the fallen climber, then more rock slide. It almost sounds like he was able to arrest the fall temporarily, or the coroner statement that he started the rock slide isn't right.

Postby sunny1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Very tragic. My heart is heavy.
Was on S Maroon and heard the helicopter in the early afternoon Saturday. :(

To all those involved as witnesses, and to all of Derek's friends and family, I wish you peace, healing and comfort. [-o<
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby Tatra » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 pm

I can not imagine the pain of Derek's family and friends.  He just wanted to climb another 14er and didn' expect that it was going to be his last day.  It is heartbreaking and wrong.   RIP Derek.
I had a very similar incident on the El Diente- Mt Wilson traverse.  When coming up Mt Wilson, I wanted to use one of the boulders above me as a hand hold and when I touched it it came loose and started sliding down on me. I was going down with all the other rocks.  I thought that it was over but at the last second I was able to grab a stable rock with both hands and the slide went through me but without me.  It was a horrible and massive rockslide that went all the way to the snowy bottom and I realised that I got a second chance.  Wish Derek got another chance and was with us.  Very sad! Glad there were some people who could help with this tragic situation.      

Postby Mark A Steiner » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Sorry to hear about Derek. You guys who witnessed the fall are commended for keeping your cool and doing the right thing to assist. Prayers to all of you and condolences to the friends and family of the deceased climber.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby axbauer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 pm

My heart is heavy with this news.

Prayers to the fiends and family.

Postby Mike Cormier » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Very tragic......My thoughts and prayers go out to Derek's family, close friends and all those who were involved. Rest in peace.

Postby Scott P » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Not again. :(

RIP.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby cbrobin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:30 pm

Damn
More Colorado than the Natives.

PreviousNext