Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lake Hikes

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Lake Hikes

Postby wypatt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:07 pm

Anyone know of any cool lake or waterfall hikes that a relatively close to Denver (1-2hours, summit county is fine). I'd like to go up I-70 somewhere... I found Willow Falls, anyone been there? I'm looking for something a little more remote than willow falls also. Thanks!

Re: Lake Hikes

Postby mountainmanny » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Shelf Lake is nice it is about 3miles hike in (from Geneva Park/Smelter Creek TH...you can also go up and over Argentine Pass or from the east side of Square Top).... not too far from Denver.

"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon

Postby hop2it » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:17 pm

I remember hiking to Dorthy Falls....here's a link: http://www.cospringstrails.com/hikes/dorothy.html

Its a short hike though....but very pretty at the end! Oh & trail isnt well marked....but somehow I managed to find my way. Oh and I hiked another one with a smaller waterfall...I think that is St. Mary's Falls. The link I found for it is : http://www.cospringstrails.com/hikes/stmary.html.

Both are very pretty...but there wasnt a lake nearby! Enjoy :)

Postby letourneau41 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Hanging Lake is outside of Glenwood Springs (which is farther out). It's a beautiful hike and the lake is amazing.
Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Mohawk Lake, just south of Breckenridge, is very nice, and you can keep hiking up the valley past the first one and see a whole series of lakes if you wish.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby wypatt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Okay, gonna get a little more specific... maybe too specific. I have some people coming in to town and I want them to see something cool! So... I'm looking for about a 6 mile round trip, starting in the trees but moving into the open where there are some great views. Trying to avoid too much elevation gain as they are coming from New England. Thanks!

Postby mtnfiend » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Blue Lake in the Indian Peaks fits all of your criteria:

http://www.thespiritoftherockies.net/spirit/Hikes/BlueLakeIP/BlueLakeIPHike.html

http://www.protrails.com/trail.php?trailID=32

There's a waterfall off the back of the lake too.

Postby csmcgranahan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:51 pm

I think Missouri Lakes in the Holy Cross Wilderness fits the bill.

Postby planet54 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Booth Creek and Pitkin Creek trails in the Vail Valley have good waterfalls,busy though. I have always enjoyed Slide Lake and West Tennessee Lakes . You get there by going to Leadville and then towards Tennessee pass. San Isabel NF map.
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby YEONDERIN » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Consider Tabor lake near Aspen. It fits your requirments and has alot of WOW factor. If it interest you, there is a map on my trip report that may be of use.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)

Postby steelfrog » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:55 am

Willow Lake in the northern Sangres--amazing lake, 100' falls, at the base of Challenger/Kit Carson

Next