Long's Peak Reputation

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Long's Peak Reputation

Post by coloradokevin »

I think Longs has a reputation due to the sheer number of people who climb it in any given year. But, as far as appeal goes, it's just simply a very interesting mountain, unlike any other in the state. Some 14'ers are unmemorable slag heaps, but that certainly isn't the case for Longs.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Longs is rated 15th most difficult here and I'd agree with that. In terms of overall effort, however, it would have to be in the top 10.

The way to deal with the crowds is to be mentally prepared. You know it's not going to be a wilderness experience, so try to be social, engage people. As someone above mentioned, there's always interesting people.

Although Longs is a unique, spectacular mountain in Colorado, it isn't one of my favorites, but everyone has different aspects they find appealing or not.

Dave
hskrhiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hskrhiker »

I have a small suggestion for at least avoiding some of the crowd on the way down. About 100 yards after coming across Granite Pass there is an alternate trail that eventually meets up with the main trail at the split with the Battle Mountain camp trail. It is hard to spot but there are two large boulders about 30 feet off the main trail. About three weeks ago I built a small cairn on one of them to make it easier to see. I have never seen a person on this trail. It also provides great views back to Longs and Meeker.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

That is the Jim's Grove trail. I always take it if going to/from the Boulderfield area.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I've been stopped by a NP Ranger on Jim's Grove, and asked to not use it. He was using it to attend an emergency situation.

The trail isn't well-marked and isn't maintained. If you do not know where it is, you'll lose time and potentially trample over the areas that are marked by signage as, "closed".

Just an FYI to y'all. Use your own judgement - signage is there near treeline that points right to it, so I'm unclear what the Park's policy is, except, "confound visitors". I've also guided people using it on approaches and they've specifically asked to NOT use it, coming back, as it's much rougher.

The trails that lead out of E. Longs Peak TH are in need of some TLC. There used to be a sign about all the damage that happened because of the floods, but I don't know if any trail work has been done since - pretty high traffic area in there. Lots of braiding above treeline.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Really appreciate the responses. I want to go to there.
Unfortunately I've exhausted my opportunities for the year. Will be anticipating it all winter and spring.
What do you think? I am going to stop short of the peak, strip down to nothing but some Hawaiian shorts and flip-flops and a 3/4ths of a tiny bottle of water. Walk up over the last part and join whatever crowd is there. Say something like, 'is this the top, that's it'? Then ask 'what was the name of this hill'?
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Rollie Free wrote:Really appreciate the responses. I want to go to there.
Unfortunately I've exhausted my opportunities for the year. Will be anticipating it all winter and spring.
What do you think? I am going to stop short of the peak, strip down to nothing but some Hawaiian shorts and flip-flops and a 3/4ths of a tiny bottle of water. Walk up over the last part and join whatever crowd is there. Say something like, 'is this the top, that's it'? Then ask 'what was the name of this hill'?
Actually, the second time I climbed Longs, I stopped just a few feet from the top where I saw a guy who was getting ready to start down and I said to him - "Aw the hell with it. I've had it. I'm going back down." His eyes got HUGE and he said pleadingly "But sir - you're almost there!" I said something like "I don't know if I can make it." and he replied "But it's only a few more feet!" I mumbled something like "Yeah, that's what you youngsters always say." At that point, he figured out I was screwing with him and said something like "You've been up here before, haven't you." And then we both had a good laugh...

But I think I like your idea better..... Have fun on Longs!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I like messing w/people the other way: come up from the east side (opposite of Homestretch), wearing nothing but a pair of running shoes/shorts w/a water bottle in my hand, tell people I just did the Diamond.

Eyes the size of saucers. And then I skedaddle down.
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

I made it up Longs twice in snow conditions and they were both some of my best and most memorable days in the mountains. Almost no one on the keyhole route both times and also no one on the summit. They were both days with great weather and not too cold or windy. Those purple snowflakes are the best. \:D/
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

justiner wrote:I like messing w/people the other way: come up from the east side (opposite of Homestretch), wearing nothing but a pair of running shoes/shorts w/a water bottle in my hand, tell people I just did the Diamond.

Eyes the size of saucers. And then I skedaddle down.
Sounds like Tony Krupicka topping out on Kieners!
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Anton dnsz.jpg
Anton dnsz.jpg (185.96 KiB) Viewed 572 times
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
justiner