Suggestions for IPW hike mid-summer

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Suggestions for IPW hike mid-summer

Post by MtnHub »

I’m starting to put together some ideas for my summer vacation in mid-July and have always wanted to do something in the IPW. While I’ve heard a lot of great comments about this place, I’m totally unfamiliar with it. Since I have some friends who live close by, I was thinking about doing a moderate scenic loop hike as a warm-up, but preferably with some scrambling included – nothing terribly difficult, but along the lines of the Kelso Ridge, class 3 to easy 4.

I saw a TR awhile back of an Audubon/Paiute/Toll loop but can’t find it now. Can anyone offer a few suggestions/comments on anything they think would fit the bill?

And since I live in IA, I’m always looking for new potential partners, preferably with moderate route-finding skills – shoot me an email me if you’re interested! :-D
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Suggestions for IPW hike mid-summer

Post by Dave B »

Since you're already coming all the way from Iowa, I'd say go just a bit farther and do something on the west side from the Roaring Fork TH area.

I'd say either the Hiamovi Mountain area or back in to Crater Lake near Lone Eagle.

The west side trails see 1/1000 the traffic of the east side trails and the terrain and views are just as good (if not better).

Brainard Lake is a shitshow in mid summer unless you get there early.
Make wilderness less accessible.
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

South & North Arapahoe Peaks from 4th of July Campground would seem to fit what you're looking for, except that it's not a loop; the traverse between the two has a bit of scrambling. You can see some photos, including the route map, here: https://picasaweb.google.com/JimRanda/N ... yE8LOuzQE# The parking would be crowded on a weekend (get there early), but shouldn't be a problem on a weekday.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

+1 for Crater Lake/Lone Eagle. You can camp, climb peaks, rock climb and fish under one of the most spectacular backdrops in Colorado. And there are several photo worthy waterfalls on the hike in from Monarch Lake.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Doug, do you plan to day trip or overnight? Eastside IPW is filled with great scrambles that can be done as day trips but the western approaches are best enjoyed as an overnight. I've got a bunch of TRs on possibilities but as you know the photos are missing from most of them. My report for Jasper Peak does have pix:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

We'd enjoy getting out with you for some IPW fun if we can make the weekend align. Let's keep in touch.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Neva north ridge
South to North arapaho peak
Shoshoni to Apache
Pawnee East ridge
Audubon SE ridge/Audubon to Paiute

^^^all of these are quality

Crater lake/lone eagle probably one of the best overnight trips
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Thanks to everyone who has posted thus far! I really appreciate all the suggestions! :-D

I should have clarified initially however, I am mainly interested in day hikes. I don't do overnights well and don't want to bring all the extra gear along if I don't have to.

Kimo, shoot me an email sometime! Thanks!
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Good idea Mr. Hub! IPW is a delightful place :-D

I ran this loop this past summer....http://www.swarpa.net/~danforth/run/ipwmarathon.html

Perhaps it was the amazing cloud coverage and dewy air, but I enjoyed it more than the 4 Pass Loop. As people have mentioned, descending into the Lone Peak basin from Paiute Pass is simply stunning with all the waterfalls and high peaks. Heres a tip: go CCW. That way you avoid going up Autoban's east slopes in the hottest part of the day (a lesson I learned the hard way)

Feeling spunky?! You can attempt to beat some sub par trail runner's fastest known time of the loop. 3:45 I believe by Anton.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Crater Lake/Lone Eagle Cirque works just fine as a day hike, about 14 miles roundtrip from Monarch Lake. Of course, if you want to go up Lone Eagle you'd need to start really early.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

The IPW is one of my favorite places its absolutely beautiful in July.

I saw some trip reports for the Audubon/Paiute/Toll loop on summitpost. I believe the northwest face of toll is a class 3 route. This was on my shortlist for the summer and looks like a great time.

There are a lot of great class 3-4 routes to be found.

Two other good ones to consider

The airplane gully to arapahoe peak

The Queensway couloir to Apache peak if you want an easy snowclimb about (35 degrees for 800 feet.)

If you can get your hands on a copy of this book it will give you some great options as well....

http://www.amazon.com/Colorados-Indian- ... 145876110X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It does get really crowded but start early and get a few miles in and you won't see many people.
Danny504
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Danny504 »

Found a nice TR on Summitpost that I think I'd like to do this summer. Seems it may suit your needs as well.

http://www.summitpost.org/indian-peaks- ... dge/669823" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

MtnHub wrote:moderate scenic loop hike as a warm-up...nothing terribly difficult...class 3 to easy 4...mainly interested in day hikes...don't want to bring all the extra gear along...
With that in mind you can't go wrong with the Arapaho traverse. Great route worth repeating. Also consider scrambling up the east ledges to the top of Apache (easy c3), traversing to Navajo via the west chimney, and then descending Airplane Gully. It keeps you off the snowfields so you can leave the crampons at home. Both trailheads are super crowded during the day but an early start guarantees front row parking.

If you're looking for a laid-back loop with easier scrambling and moderate route finding, consider the east ledges of Shoshoni starting down at the shore of Lake Isabelle. Progress is relaxed and easy up and across the ledges. From the top of Shoshoni, cross over talus to Pawnee Peak and then, as an option, continue on to Mount Toll. From the saddle between Pawnee and Toll, descend on talus to the upper Blue Lake basin. Pick your way through slabs, grass, and wildflowers to Blue Lake and the trail back to the TH.

I'll send you a note soon.