sawtooth exposure

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shaun
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

sawtooth exposure

Post by shaun »

I was curious, when you cross over to the west side of the sawtooth ridge, how narrow do the ledges get? I've looked at a number of trip reports and photos, but I can't quite get a clear picture. Thanks.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: sawtooth exposure

Post by Cruiser »

Maybe 3' at the tightest spot if I'm remembering correctly (it's been a bit since I was up there). The walking part really isn't bad at all. I think most folks who have a problem with that stretch worry because the drop off at the edge is so immediate. It's a long way down from there.
Where ever you are... There you are.
emcee smith
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (52)

Post by emcee smith »

I've been through there a few times. To me the ledges immediately after the crossover don't feel that exposed, since you can always hug the wall to the right (B to E). I have always had the most trouble at the inside corner as you turn left. It is a loose, downsloping gully with a huge drop off. After that, once you get your feet used to loose dirt/gravel, climbing out isn't that big of a deal, but the corner always gets me going.

Still very worth the trip.
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

3' sounds about right. It's not that narrow for that long, and it doesn't get so narrow that you have to struggle to keep your balance. I agree with emcee that the sketchiest part comes right after that first ledge, where you have to go up all the loose crap before the final turn exiting the Sawtooth. I felt like if I tripped, I'd slide right off the edge. But I don't recall any difficulty or scary exposure at the part you're asking about.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
dude9478
14ers: 28 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dude9478 »

emcee smith wrote:I've been through there a few times. To me the ledges immediately after the crossover don't feel that exposed, since you can always hug the wall to the right (B to E). I have always had the most trouble at the inside corner as you turn left. It is a loose, downsloping gully with a huge drop off. After that, once you get your feet used to loose dirt/gravel, climbing out isn't that big of a deal, but the corner always gets me going.

This was the first 3rd class 14er that my wife and I did. We wern't bothered by it until that "inside corner" that emcee is talking about. It got us a little worked up to say the least, it's loose gravel and slopes down over a huge cliff.
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

I recall that there was one rock sticking out at about chest level that either required you to bend down and crawl under it or else reach around it for a hand hold as you leaned over the edge of the dropoff. That was the only place where I can really see the exposure getting to someone. Even then, I really didn't think the sawtooth was that bad. I'd like to go back and do it again!
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

This picture might help. The green line shows where you cross over the ridge and start walking along the ledge. You can see a couple hikers (for perspective) circled in yellow. The rock I was talking about above is circled in blue. I'm also attaching another picture to show you what the ridge looks like after that rock.
IMG_3104.jpg
IMG_3104.jpg (284.29 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
IMG_3098 (480x640).jpg
IMG_3098 (480x640).jpg (238 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

emcee smith wrote:I've been through there a few times. To me the ledges immediately after the crossover don't feel that exposed, since you can always hug the wall to the right (B to E). I have always had the most trouble at the inside corner as you turn left. It is a loose, downsloping gully with a huge drop off. After that, once you get your feet used to loose dirt/gravel, climbing out isn't that big of a deal, but the corner always gets me going.

That's exactly what got my attention on this route, as well. Make sure you wear a helmet. There was spontaneous rockfall in this area the day I was there.
The Sawtooth proper is great fun if you like to scramble.
I did it solo, and there was no traffic after leaving Bierstadt until I got to Evans the day I was up there.
It's a fun hike/climb.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Kovar
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kovar »

I'll echo what everyone else has said. In my experience, the worst part was the loose rocks, etc. while working up the ramp past the ledges section. The ledges are not bad at all. My brother and I stopped, just after crossing to the west side to check out the exposure, but once we started moving towards the ramp, I was so focused on where my feet (and, later, hands) were being placed that I don't remember feeling ANY worry about the "narrowness" (not a real word, I know) of the ledges. Working down the N face of Bierstadt was probably the "worst" part of the entire day. The best part = having a ride waiting at the top of Mt. Evans. Thanks Dad.
Marcos
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Marcos »

The exposure looks worse than it is.

Here's the exit ramp from afar -- looks exposed:
Sawtooth west exit - from afar
Sawtooth west exit - from afar
From_afar.jpg (249.05 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
The ledge is actually pretty wide once you're on it:
Sawtooth west exit - closeup
Sawtooth west exit - closeup
Close-up.jpg (317.52 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
Definitely recommend crampons in winter, though.