First 14ers Advice

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First 14ers Advice

Post by TallGrass »

political animal wrote:
Trotter wrote:But doing Longs peak as one of your first 14ers?!?!?! I'd rethink that. That's not a beginner hike
I concur that Long's Peak isn't a beginner hike.
What's a beginner? These folks voted it #3 with their feet, not keyboard.

Top 10 - 1st Colorado 14er Climbed
Grays Peak 1257 Users (13%)
Mt. Bierstadt 1116 Users (12%)
Longs Peak 1026 Users (11%)

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksstat.php
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
JeremiahG
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JeremiahG »

I will be putting Maroon peak down for myself.
Well, to be fair I am doing the bierstadt to Evans traverse first.

All weather permitting of course.
HikerT
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerT »

Trotter wrote:
But doing Longs peak as one of your first 14ers?!?!?! I'd rethink that. That's not a beginner hike
I wasn't planning on doing Longs. I've heard people start Longs at 3AM, and was wondering what typical start times for other peaks are. I wouldn't want to try Longs until I've had more hikes at altitude under my belt.
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

TallGrass wrote:
political animal wrote:
Trotter wrote:But doing Longs peak as one of your first 14ers?!?!?! I'd rethink that. That's not a beginner hike
I concur that Long's Peak isn't a beginner hike.
What's a beginner? These folks voted it #3 with their feet, not keyboard.

Top 10 - 1st Colorado 14er Climbed
Grays Peak 1257 Users (13%)
Mt. Bierstadt 1116 Users (12%)
Longs Peak 1026 Users (11%)

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksstat.php
Which is a primary contributor to its higher death rate than other peaks of similar difficulty
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

HikerT wrote:Any recommendations for start times? I've read about 3AM start times for Longs, not sure if that's overkill or not, or if all peaks are subject to the same afternoon storms. I tend to be a fast hiker, but I'm not sure how I'll find the elevation. 10K is the highest elevation I've hiked to.
I generally plan my start times as if all peaks are subject to afternoon storms. When you get a little closer to your planned hike date, use the weather links on this site to get a point forecast for a location close to the summit. For example, the Huron forecast is centered a little south of the summit and at 12,326'. I find these point forecasts to be more useful than forecasts for the nearest town. You can also scroll down and click the Hourly Weather Graphs to get a better idea of what time of day rain/thunder is predicted.

As for recommended start times, my basic method for Class 1/2 standard routes (with little to no snow) is to assume 1,000'/hr elevation gain and subtract from 10:00am. If the route is above treeline for lengthy sections, I might subtract from 9:00am instead of 10:00am.

If you were thinking of Huron's Northwest Slopes (3,500'), my default start time without taking into account forecast or other variables would be 6:30am. This method gets thrown off a little if you've got a lengthy/flat approach like walking up the road from Winfield. I've never walked that part of the road, but figure two miles might add 30-60 minutes, call it 5:45am start. If you consider yourself to be a fast hiker, 1,000'/hr is probably within your capabilities. To be conservative, you could assume 500'/hr for anything above 13,000' or something like that. I think of myself as a little slower than average pace.

I think this planning approach is conservative because I'm usually faster than 1,000'/hr on the standard routes and 10am is usually early enough to avoid afternoon storms. In my mind, it never hurts to start earlier for summertime conditions.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

That may be good logic during monsoon season, but this is not monsoon season. If the forecast is for a bluebird day, odds are you will get one.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

You'll be spending a few days in Snowmass, so that should help with acclimatization.

Trails:
Since you're in the area with a rental car, if you have time, you should hike the Maroon-Snowmass Trail to Crater Lake and as far along Maroon Creek as time permits. It's an iconic Colorado Hike.
The Rim Trail in Snowmass isn't far from the Stonebridge and picks up elevation quickly.
The Vista Trail climbs up a slope at Snowmass before traversing to Buttermilk. It's pretty close too.
Highline/Ridge Trail east of the Snowmass Club climb to a great view.

14ers:
Take Independence Pass instead of I-70 and you'll have many to choose from. The Standard Route on La Plata is closed, but I think anything between Independence Pass and Denver is appropriate for a first 14er. Except Bierstadt - because the hike is so underwhelming.

Start time:
My goal is always to be above treeline before sunrise. There is no better way to start the day than with an alpenglow view unobstructed by trees. So, start times vary.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
MattDelSur
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MattDelSur »

Not exactly a first-timer question, but a matter of inexperience all the same:

What's the backcountry going to be like on 4th of July in CO? Swarmed with visitors?
All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

jdorje wrote:That may be good logic during monsoon season, but this is not monsoon season. If the forecast is for a bluebird day, odds are you will get one.
Yes, but allowing for a weather event like the previous poster allows you to slow down your hike if the weather stays stable. Spend as much time on the summit as you like. You can do anything you want if you start early and get no weather.

But if unexpected weather happens, as it often does in the mountains, that early start he recommends gets you up and to the summit before it rolls in.

One way or the other, his strategy will help you time your hikes.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

MattDelSur wrote:Not exactly a first-timer question, but a matter of inexperience all the same:

What's the backcountry going to be like on 4th of July in CO? Swarmed with visitors?
The 14ers will be a bit more crowded than on a typical weekend, but you might not even notice. 13ers will be ignored as always. Roads will be fine in the morning if you're getting to the trailhead at the usual time. Civilized areas will be busy once you're done, however, and don't drop into a mountain town planning to spend the night if you don't have a reservation.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Also every reservable campsite in the state is probably already booked for the fourth.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

HikerT wrote:
Trotter wrote:
But doing Longs peak as one of your first 14ers?!?!?! I'd rethink that. That's not a beginner hike
I wasn't planning on doing Longs. I've heard people start Longs at 3AM, and was wondering what typical start times for other peaks are. I wouldn't want to try Longs until I've had more hikes at altitude under my belt.
A lot of people do start Longs at 3AM. OTOH, I've done it three times and started around sunrise each time (the third time was in late October and I hiked the last couple of miles of the descent in the dark).

It is good to get an early start, though, as it improves your chances of being off the mountain before the lightning starts.