Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fisticuffs at 7,000ft (Everest)

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Fisticuffs at 7,000ft (Everest)

Postby mike_kadow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:06 pm

Yikes!

"Two European climbers were reported today to have been involved in a fierce fight with their Sherpas at 7,000m, close to Camp 3 and not far from the 8,848m summit."

The article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316109/Fisticuffs-7-000ft-Swiss-Italian-Everest-climbers-fight-sherpas-close-summit.html

Edit: The article has been updated quite a bit, including the URL. :-"
Last edited by mike_kadow on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Re: Fisticuffs at 7,000ft (Everest)

Postby San Juan Ron » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:13 pm

What do you expect from someone named Wool Stick? SJ Ron. :mrgreen:

Postby TravelingMatt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 pm

By that measure, the start of the Lake Como road is "not far" from the summit of Blanca :shock:
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby screeman57 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:50 pm

There's so much wrong with this article.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby DeTour » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:53 pm

The fact that the headline writer (and the editor) don't know the difference between feet and meters doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the accuracy of the rest of the article.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Postby Scott P » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:11 pm

The fact that the headline writer (and the editor) don't know the difference between feet and meters doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the accuracy of the rest of the article.

The photo is also from the Tibet/Chinese side of the mountain. Before I read the article, I assumed that the incident happened on the Tibet side.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Tim A » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Interesting. I read this on Alan Arnette's blog today. Problem is the article Alan links to seems to be talking about different climbers.

Update: Report issued by Moro of a fight Friday between Ueli Steck, Simone Moro and the Sherpa fixing rope on the Lhotse Face. Translation . It appears both sides became upset as they felt there was interference with one another during the rope fixing work. While it is serious if in fact blows were exchanged, I would not get too upset by this as it is easy for egos and tempers to get out of control in these compressed environments.

A Sherpa was reported to have been hurt by “falling ice” on Friday but it is not clear this was related to this incident. However, it is now pretty clear that the Sherpas taking a “rest day” day is related to the incident. Hopefully everyone has calmed down and can get back to climbing.

edit: Ah, the names appear to be describing the same people. That is, if "Wool Stick" is the same as " Ueli Steck." Not sure how anybody writing about climbing could mess that name up...

Postby jdorje » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Best. Writing. Ever. This is why I get all my climbing news from the Daily Mail.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby planet54 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Heck,take some shovels and dig out a platform,use some pickets and rope to make a ring and let 'em go at it.I'm not sure how much floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee a person could do at 7000 meters.Maybe the rope- a- dope would be the way to go. \:D/ ](*,)
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby sunny1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 pm

The incident sounds quite serious.

But I can't stop giggling..."Wool Stick" has gotta be trouble. :lol:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby TallGrass » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Depending on who says Üli Steck and who hears it, it would be easy for an native German speaker to be misunderstood by an English one, especially if it's Swiss German to Sherpa-English. "What was dee climmers name? Eet soundid like wOOL stEEk." Ever play the game Telephone? Much less with foreigners?
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby tlongpine » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 pm

feet, meters, no big difference. ;)
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Next